• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

Wow, this guy's got a massive hate-on for Zata.

http://www.thehockey...discipline.html

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#2 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,338 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#3 ricky0034

ricky0034

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

technically Zetterberg wasn't selected for the all star game which means him not going violates no rule at all ;)

#4 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:13 PM

Perhaps I am misinterpreting the following (emphasis mine)...

“The Player agrees to give his services and to play hockey in all NHL Games, All-Star Games, International Hockey Games and Exhibition Games to the best of his ability under the direction and control of the Club in accordance with the provisions hereof.”

...but everything seems to be on the straight and narrow to me.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#5 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

Even though this CBA was supposed to be all about growing the game and the players and the league being partners, this is another example where the alleged partnership is a complete sham.

If the league is going to be serious about who they force to go, maybe they should be a bit more serious about who they select?

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 17 January 2011 - 03:15 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#6 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,338 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

Perhaps I am misinterpreting the following (emphasis mine)...

“The Player agrees to give his services and to play hockey in all NHL Games, All-Star Games, International Hockey Games and Exhibition Games to the best of his ability under the direction and control of the Club in accordance with the provisions hereof.”

...but everything seems to be on the straight and narrow to me.

And that's just it. He's not appearing in the All Star game because his club asked that he not be.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#7 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

The guy is kind of a moron eh?

The All-Star game is a joke, and no one (not even the FANS) care about it.

And to single out Z is not fair. There are other players who aren't playing who probably asked to not play.

And no mention that the rule that you have to attend, but not play, because Crosby didn't want to play.

#8 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

Well I guess there are many ways to make a name for yourself...

#9 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

Well I guess there are many ways to make a name for yourself...

I personally believe having a bad back is not one of the better ones.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

I think a 10 game suspension will be sufficient.

;)

Hank will have to learn that nobody crosses the boss.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#11 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

Z may be playing good but he is not 100%. He has no jump in his step and at times looks slow, if the guy actually watched Red Wings games I'm sure he could see it.

#12 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

He ridicules the NHL's fine on Toronto as petty but then goes onto to use that incident to justify disciplining Zetterberg... As in one wrong deserves another. Great logic, Ken.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#13 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

Z may be playing good but he is not 100%. He has no jump in his step and at times looks slow, if the guy actually watched Red Wings games I'm sure he could see it.

Or if he has ever played a sport in his entire life. Injuries can be played through, but it's not necessarily smart to pile on more activity voluntarily.

At least Theo Fleury has not come out and called Zetterberg a "spoiled brat" yet like he did to Datsyuk and Lidstrom.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#14 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,296 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

Honestly this sounds more like sour grapes over the league fining Hanta Yo for his $600 handout.

Not surprising that a blogger from THN would be fixating on some great injustice perpetrated against the beloved Leafs.

Yes the league is wildly inconsistent in enforcing pretty much any of its rules, but to me consistency in punishment for cheapshots is a much greater concern than consistency regarding $600 handouts and the all-star game.

And, no, I didn't really care last year when Dats and Lids were suspended a game and Bettman called Crosby personally to tell him to come.

#15 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

I'm assuming the author is Canadian. How about he spends his time bitching about the plethora of Canadians that cannot muster enough strength to go play for their country at the World's after their NHL season is over.

At least, those games have meaning.

#16 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,296 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

I honestly wonder exactly how bad and how often his back hurts. He's been playing great, but his skating does look more labored this season and last than it ever did before.

and aren't his number of faceoffs way down? He had gotten his percentage up, but then it seems like they started using other guys. I thought maybe that was a wrist thing with him, but maybe that's the back too.

#17 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

I honestly wonder exactly how bad and how often his back hurts. He's been playing great, but his skating does look more labored this season and last than it ever did before.

I would say the skating is the most noticeable as well. He just seems to struggle to get up to speed and seems a bit more hunched over while doing it. Either way, the guy is a beast and continues to produce. Again, I am glad he is getting the rest during the break instead of going to the game itself. We all know he would be there.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#18 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

:rolleyes:

It's an EXHIBITION GAME. You shouldn't be required to play in an EXHIBITION GAME. Discipline him if the Wings are in Game 7 of the Cup Finals and he decides to stay home and play with his Nintendo Wii. It's a stupid, meaningless game that has in recent years, become devoid of anything remotely interesting or entertaining. I would actually love it if NO Red Wings played in the ASG, since I'd rather the guys be well-rested and somewhat healed up for the 2nd half the season, than busting their butts in a game that has zero effect on the standings.

Edited by Electrophile, 17 January 2011 - 06:21 PM.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#19 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:34 PM

technically Zetterberg wasn't selected for the all star game which means him not going violates no rule at all ;)

This says it all.

Campbell was one of those who had huge problems with Lids and Dats, to the point that I actually sent THN an e-mail (one of 3 letters to the editor that I have written in my whole life).

Z hasn't even been chosen. It really shouldn't matter. The league doesn't spend time and money marketing him like they do Sid and Ovi. If they don't play, they should be fined. Oh, wait... How's Sid's headache doing? I haven't seen today's update. Oh, well, maybe he can just show up and look pretty.

#20 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

And that's just it. He's not appearing in the All Star game because his club asked that he not be.

Exactly. They asked the NHL to let him skip the game. The NHL could have said no. The league had the final word in whether he went or not and they made the final roster.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft