• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
edicius

THN: Zetterberg should be disciplined for skipping ASG

Rate this topic

Perhaps I am misinterpreting the following (emphasis mine)...

“The Player agrees to give his services and to play hockey in all NHL Games, All-Star Games, International Hockey Games and Exhibition Games to the best of his ability under the direction and control of the Club in accordance with the provisions hereof.”

...but everything seems to be on the straight and narrow to me.

Guest CaliWingsNut
Even though this CBA was supposed to be all about growing the game and the players and the league being partners, this is another example where the alleged partnership is a complete sham.

If the league is going to be serious about who they force to go, maybe they should be a bit more serious about who they select?

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Perhaps I am misinterpreting the following (emphasis mine)...

“The Player agrees to give his services and to play hockey in all NHL Games, All-Star Games, International Hockey Games and Exhibition Games to the best of his ability under the direction and control of the Club in accordance with the provisions hereof.”

...but everything seems to be on the straight and narrow to me.

And that's just it. He's not appearing in the All Star game because his club asked that he not be.

The guy is kind of a moron eh?

The All-Star game is a joke, and no one (not even the FANS) care about it.

And to single out Z is not fair. There are other players who aren't playing who probably asked to not play.

And no mention that the rule that you have to attend, but not play, because Crosby didn't want to play.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Well I guess there are many ways to make a name for yourself...

I personally believe having a bad back is not one of the better ones.

Z may be playing good but he is not 100%. He has no jump in his step and at times looks slow, if the guy actually watched Red Wings games I'm sure he could see it.

Or if he has ever played a sport in his entire life. Injuries can be played through, but it's not necessarily smart to pile on more activity voluntarily.

At least Theo Fleury has not come out and called Zetterberg a "spoiled brat" yet like he did to Datsyuk and Lidstrom.

Honestly this sounds more like sour grapes over the league fining Hanta Yo for his $600 handout.

Not surprising that a blogger from THN would be fixating on some great injustice perpetrated against the beloved Leafs.

Yes the league is wildly inconsistent in enforcing pretty much any of its rules, but to me consistency in punishment for cheapshots is a much greater concern than consistency regarding $600 handouts and the all-star game.

And, no, I didn't really care last year when Dats and Lids were suspended a game and Bettman called Crosby personally to tell him to come.

Z may be playing good but he is not 100%. He has no jump in his step and at times looks slow, if the guy actually watched Red Wings games I'm sure he could see it.

I honestly wonder exactly how bad and how often his back hurts. He's been playing great, but his skating does look more labored this season and last than it ever did before.

and aren't his number of faceoffs way down? He had gotten his percentage up, but then it seems like they started using other guys. I thought maybe that was a wrist thing with him, but maybe that's the back too.

I honestly wonder exactly how bad and how often his back hurts. He's been playing great, but his skating does look more labored this season and last than it ever did before.

I would say the skating is the most noticeable as well. He just seems to struggle to get up to speed and seems a bit more hunched over while doing it. Either way, the guy is a beast and continues to produce. Again, I am glad he is getting the rest during the break instead of going to the game itself. We all know he would be there.

:rolleyes:

It's an EXHIBITION GAME. You shouldn't be required to play in an EXHIBITION GAME. Discipline him if the Wings are in Game 7 of the Cup Finals and he decides to stay home and play with his Nintendo Wii. It's a stupid, meaningless game that has in recent years, become devoid of anything remotely interesting or entertaining. I would actually love it if NO Red Wings played in the ASG, since I'd rather the guys be well-rested and somewhat healed up for the 2nd half the season, than busting their butts in a game that has zero effect on the standings.

Edited by Electrophile

technically Zetterberg wasn't selected for the all star game which means him not going violates no rule at all ;)

This says it all.

Campbell was one of those who had huge problems with Lids and Dats, to the point that I actually sent THN an e-mail (one of 3 letters to the editor that I have written in my whole life).

Z hasn't even been chosen. It really shouldn't matter. The league doesn't spend time and money marketing him like they do Sid and Ovi. If they don't play, they should be fined. Oh, wait... How's Sid's headache doing? I haven't seen today's update. Oh, well, maybe he can just show up and look pretty.

And that's just it. He's not appearing in the All Star game because his club asked that he not be.

Exactly. They asked the NHL to let him skip the game. The NHL could have said no. The league had the final word in whether he went or not and they made the final roster.

What a moron. First off they had to ding Toronto, if they didn't what is to stop a GM or owner from offering $5m to any player who can get 40 goals and then paying a guy like Ovi $3M a year. It is not like the contract lengths where it appeared that teams were trying to circumvent the cap but technically guys could play until 44 years old. There is no chance that what the Leafs did would not circumvent the cap as silly as the violation was.

Second anybody who doesn't realize the difference between fighting and icing as fighting is both a huge fan draw and a specific part of the game (for example when was the last time you saw a website dedicated to tracking great icing races) is a moron. Not that I want them to go to touch up icing but it would not be even close to as ticked as I would be if they got rid of fighting.

Many years ago, B.I. (before internet), my only source of hockey news was, well, The Hockey News. I cancelled my subscription 10 years ago, with a note telling them that their Canada-centric view of hockey was short-sighted, at best, and just plain stupid and obnoxious.

I do hope no one on this site actually reads that rag for hockey news.

Zata doesn't need to go to the All Star Sham. Even though he's one of the actual stars who might be in evidence, the club doesn't want him to participate. If he's disciplined in any way financially, I am sure Mr. I will happily pay the fine - ridiculous as that all is. <_<

Nick -as Captain - will probably go. He will smile, be gracious, and be the classiest person there, representing the Wings and hockey in general. :thumbup: