• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:53 AM

Laaaame. Although at least we didn't get a bear in a gym suit (Bruins). I wouldn't mind the Transformer look that much if they'd made it a cool Transformer, but this just looks like one of Iron Man's first crude attempts. And the "tricycle of doom"...yeah, what can I say but lol? Wish we could've gotten actual bird wings since that's what's on our logo, but I guess they thought they had to do something different after the Flyer and the Capital.

I like the King and the Lightning best, myself. Not that I love either, but they're the least lame to me. Of course, the King is more of a knight than a king, but whatever.

This is sort of a dorky idea to start with, but I was willing to humor it at first. Unfortunately, most of the designs turned out just as lame as I thought they would. No offense to Stan Lee, who is still an awesome dude, but this particular project doesn't really grab me. Some of it is too obvious and looks recycled from more famous superheroes, while other parts make you wonder where they came up with that idea. Take the water sabre for the Sabre, for instance. They could've just gone with some kind of cool-looking sword (and maybe done sort of a medieval thing like the King), but instead it's made out of...water? Yeah, that's really bad-ass. At least Aquaman was telepathic...this guy just has the less-technologically-advanced version of a squirt gun.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#22 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:57 AM

So....we're a transformer? I thought Hasbro had the rights to those?
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#23 Joey v3.4

Joey v3.4

Stoned

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:04 AM

1) I liked the concept, and thought it could be neat if they did something cool with it. But they would need an amusing comic book, or cartoons or something.

2) Unfortunately, most of the guardians are stupid, with lame super powers, and a really pathetic story. For most of them they don't even hardly represent the team very well.

Here is what would make them interesting:

1) Fire the artists.
2) Fire the writers.
3) Hire new better artists.
4) Hire new better writers.

Sorry, it's just VERY poorly done. I am firmly convinced that I've seen six year olds create most entertaining super heroes using nothing but a trash bag, and some duct tape.

I get the Jet Wings, since it's a "Redwing", and I get the wheels since it's the motor city, But why in the HELL does he have the super power of "Tracking things", and telekinesis? Sounds like someone just ran out of ideas, and did a classic.....

"Ok....motor city. Motor city equals cars. Cars are Mechanical. Mechanical stuff uses Electricity. Electricity....Electricity equals energy. Energy. Telekinesis does stuff with energy. Telekinesis...yes...especially cars from America".

Now for the second super power. They were like:

"Ok....motor city. Motor city equals cars. Cars often have GPS in them. GPS, GPS helps you find things. Finding things....is tracking. Ah ha, Tracking!!!! Get it....like GPS?"

And some ****** is getting paid to do that.

Let me summarize:

Physical: Outdated F14 wings, Clumsy Tonka Truck wheels, otherwise a big red robot with a bumper decal on his chest, and a hawk shaped helmet just for the hell of it.
Personality: He's a bossy general type who demands perfection, but sucks at making decisions on the fly, or adapting to situations, making him effectively a useless superhero if anything goes wrong.
Super Powers: Tracking of crap, and telekinesis of mechanical devices, specifically American made cars.

I'm just not impressed.

Edited by Joey v3.4, 18 January 2011 - 03:08 AM.

And Boom goes the Dynamite.

#24 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:19 AM

Just like Bettman,...

... It has absolutely nothing to do with hockey.

#25 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:20 AM

We got a bunch of people on here who could probably design something better.

#26 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:06 AM

Why do they create this crap? The game is what they should sell. Not these lame power rangers-like stuff for 12 year old kids.

#27 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:11 AM

Some of these have been pretty interesting and inspired and some have been pretty lame. The Red Wing looks more like an 80's Transformer than a super-human. It would have been more appropriate if the helmet resembled a falcon rather than a hawk, but whatever.

I think it bears remembering that Stan Lee was writing comics before science made sense to the common man. I think it's funny that the Canuck can make weapons out of rain, but back when Lee was writing, the Human Torch could knock people around with a flame-hammer.

Which is probably why I actually kind of like it. You guys know how Transformers obsessed I am.

Oops. :lol:

That said, the wheels almost look like an afterthought and could have been integrated better. :P

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#28 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:18 AM

Edi's version of a Red Wings guardian would simply be Lilja's beard.

Would that I could actually draw...

ABV_sig.png

#29 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:57 AM

I think you guys are analyzing it a little too much. It's just a promotion/gimmick. That's it. Not a comic-purist's wet dream nor a 3rd grade sketch. The NHL (God I can't believe I'm going to defend them :puke:) is just trying unconventional stuff to attract/engage fans. Failure? Pretty much. But I just feel people are taking it a little too seriously.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right...

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#30 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:31 AM

Which is probably why I actually kind of like it. You guys know how Transformers obsessed I am.

Oops. :lol:

That said, the wheels almost look like an afterthought and could have been integrated better. :P

So wait what's this about Transformers? Are we going to see that hot Australian girl here soon or...?

#31 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:03 AM

at first i was like

Posted Image

but then i was like

Posted Image

#32 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

So wait what's this about Transformers? Are we going to see that hot Australian girl here soon or...?

We call it, "Plastic Crack"... :P

ABV_sig.png

#33 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:32 AM

as has been said, Stan Lee created basically the entire universe. But it was the people after him who expanded on these characters and made them make sense. He's been riding the coattails of his creations for years and now comes across as a incoherent old codger.

If the nhl wanted this done right (and it never needed to be done at all,...) they should have got a guy like geoff johns (who wouldn't touch this with a ten foot poll)

#34 Earthhuman

Earthhuman

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

I agree that you can't take this too seriously. It was interesting in the way that a horoscope is interesting, in that I don't think it will command much attention after their presentation at the All-Star game.
Not to mention, I think we will see a familiar, but different Red Wings team after Lidstrom retires. Many of the aspects that he excels in seem to majorly impact the "Red Wing," except that I'm not sure where inadaptability came from. Hudler? :P How can these characters manage to stay relevant to the teams the represent? It would be interesting if major hockey events, like the trading of a captain, would influence the corresponding character, e.g. the loss of a lover. Profound events like this can result in powerful changes in mindset.

#35 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

Yeah; we're gonna see Joe Kocur paired up with Chun-Li to fight Ryu and Wolverine in the next Marvel vs. Capcom game.

No no no....You have that wrong. Joey will be the end boss in that game.

#36 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

I was just looking through the Guardian Project this weekend with a friend of mine, laughing at how silly these have been. The super heroes are generally re-hashed X-Men and Marvel characters that are Frankenstiened together to create little more than a mess, really. I also agree that they all have way too many super powers, especially because a lot of them have the same super powers.

I think the Red Wing is pretty underwhelming, but I guess it could be worse.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#37 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

I hope they make costumes for all of these and have them parade on the ice, just to show how utterly stupid this is. I can see them walking around the ASG weekend events getting on TV and embarrassing the league.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#38 Hack & Whack Rule!

Hack & Whack Rule!

Goofy Wingnut

• PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

The whole thing is just dripping with fromage. Time to let it go...then shoot it as it runs away.
Uhh...you might want to duck!

#39 WMUCarGuy

WMUCarGuy

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

One thing I thought was kind of cool was all of the Original 5 guardians have a little "6" patch on their shoulder, but for some reason, the Red Wing does not have one...

What gives??

#40 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

One thing I thought was kind of cool was all of the Original 5 guardians have a little "6" patch on their shoulder, but for some reason, the Red Wing does not have one...

What gives??

A) Bettman is trying to change history and erase the Red Wings place in the original six from the minds of NHL fans (would this make Bettman the criminal The Red Wing figts? hmmmm).
B) Stan Lee doesn't follow hockey and thinks the Red Wings are an expansion team.

Edited by ACallToArms, 18 January 2011 - 03:42 PM.