• Please log in to reply
487 replies to this topic

#461 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:33 PM

Turnovers are going to continue to kill us. That giveaway goal that MacDonald gifted them in the first foreshadowed the rest of the night. The penalty shot didn't help. We cost ourselves the game.

Posted Image

#462 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

Just finished the game on DVR. I watched the 1st, was pissed. Started the second then, figuring the night would go like a typical Wings game lately, I fast-forwarded until they scored. Then Pittsburgh scored. So I fast-forwarded, too frustrated to wait out the possible comeback, hoping I would see something to make me stop and watch. Instead, it looked like Pittsburgh just continued to dominate.

Most poorly played game of the season, I think.

EDIT: And did anyone else find it just so stupidly predictable that the backup to the backup's backup broke his fingertip in a pre-game skate? Sigh.

Edited by VM1138, 18 January 2011 - 10:39 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#463 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:41 PM

Hopefully these extra loaded nachos will help.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#464 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:24 PM

Did anybody get injured?

#465 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:33 PM

Did anybody get injured?

The Wings didn't win, so of course not. :P
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#466 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:47 PM

Did anybody get injured?

Looks like HT0001 might be lighting the fuze on some sort of intestinal bomb that may cause death or dismemberment........
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#467 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:54 PM

Did anybody get injured?

You have to play hard to get injured.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#468 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

Looks like HT0001 might be lighting the fuze on some sort of intestinal bomb that may cause death or dismemberment........

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#469 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

Despite all the injuries, if Wings had (at the very least) a 2nd string goalie, they easily win this game. Easily!

Considering that they got a goal off a turn over then crashing the net to get it, I doubt it. They capitalized on our mistakes.

Also I think the 2nd line looked invisible for the most part. Again not a full 60 minute game along with very very bad passing.

I started to notice this more and more even when we were healthy. Passes are not on the stick on the break out. They are a foot in front, in the feet, slow/half ass, or behind. Even on the PP when they do a drop pass it's not even right in the lane of the forward receiving it. Detroit for the majority does not have great foot speed but what makes us look fast is that the passes are usually on the stick while the forwards are in full flight and that hasn't been happening for awhile.

16th or 17th game now with 4 goals against

I count 19

Edited by dragonballgtz, 19 January 2011 - 12:54 AM.

#470 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:18 AM

I noticed this and was wondering if anyone else did, or if I'm nuts again. It seemed like they weren't having that much trouble (relatively) getting into the Pens' zone by passing through neutral ice; however, instead of taking that route, which I thought was leading to some decent scoring chances when they did do that, they dumped and chased a lot, which was getting them absolutely nowhere. I noticed the same thing at Vancouver, except at Vancouver they were actually DOING the passing and getting right into the slot, and NOT settling for the dump and chase. I'm not understanding why they didn't do the same thing tonight. Maybe because their passing's a little off, so they didn't want to open themselves up to turnovers? I don't know...it still seems better than just dumping the puck in there and having Pittsburgh come up with it. Anyway, is this making sense at all?

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#471 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,909 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:19 AM

Injuries or not, that was one of the most ugly games I have ever watched.
Do the Wings remember how to pass?

#472 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:07 AM

Wow, Kronwall really sucks on the top pair.

#473 Duck Guy

Duck Guy

Homer rocks your socks off Its knuckle Puck time!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:14 AM

Its ok next game wings gonna win by 5... u just watch ^_^ was really looking forward for a win on this one... oh well
Posted Image
Veritas Aequitas

#474 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:21 AM

You have to play hard to get injured.

Tell that to our backups backups backups. Plus I remember Downey taking out a few players in practice one season.

Our first period suckitude will be the death of us.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#475 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:05 AM

Henrik Zetterberg was frustrated that the Wings had nothing to show for 13 first-period shots.

“We’re only talking about that we have to play better defense, better defense, but if we score some goals, we will be right there,” he said. “We’re all good players, we know what to do. Sometimes too much thinking is not good at all, we’ve just got to go out and execute and play good hockey.”

Read more: Red Wings outmanned by Penguins | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com...s#ixzz1BTxHip9D

:unsure:

#476 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

i think its hilarious that in 08 wings had a total of 184 GA and the very next year when brad took over the total GA went to 244. 2.25ga/g to 2.975ga/g

i dont think you can credit the goal tending to the failure

EXACTLY.

Same thing happened when McCrimmon went to Atlanta, I think it was. Their GA increased dramatically from the previous season.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#477 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

im bummed
i was kinda hoping this GDT would be more pages then it already is :(

i just dont really thing the wings cared for this game much really.
i guess the march game is the game thats really gonna be a stellar one to watch.

#478 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

"Tonight I thought there was way too much looking around, seeing who else was going to do it, and that’s not good enough."

Read more: Red Wings outmanned by Penguins | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com...s#ixzz1BUzj87Zb

Definitely one of the most frustrating things about this team, especially when they're fully healthy.

#479 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:57 AM

Definitely one of the most frustrating things about this team, especially when they're fully healthy.

What's even sadder is that out 2 bottom lines have been the most impressive game in and game out. Sure they have a breakdown like any other line but they play with passion every night. That's pretty bad when your 3rd and 4th line are out working your top two lines.

#480 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

What's even sadder is that out 2 bottom lines have been the most impressive game in and game out. Sure they have a breakdown like any other line but they play with passion every night. That's pretty bad when your 3rd and 4th line are out working your top two lines.

Well, true, but in that same breath, the bottom six doesn't have to pace themselves in order to play 20+ minutes every game.