• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
edicius

Eric Staal and Lidstrom: ASG Captains

Rate this topic

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Uh oh.

"He’s [Lidstrom] one of the best, if not the best,'' Penguins captain Sidney Crosby said. "Pretty easy fit for captain, and obviously having another amazing season.’’

MLive

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

Crosby better knock it off. If he keeps complimenting Wings players, people around here might actually start liking him.

huh.gif Would take a bit more than smirky ass "compliments" for that. We all know what it is going to be like in our arena March 21st when he is here. The "love" shall be on display haha.

97.1 they were going on about the "he didn't shake Lidas' hand" thing back in '09. I mean, yes, that really pissed me off but does anyone else feel that is all that really gets under their skin about this guy?

very open-ended question I realize given the nature of this site laugh.gif but I just felt that one incident isn't all.

Great to see Lidstrom get selected.

This news brings the total number of reasons I want to watch the ASG up to....One.

I think you are overgeneralizing here a little. I think you seriously underestimate the competitiveness of the average NHL superstar. I don't care if you are Gordie Howe or some hack in a beer league. Not getting picked can sting. And the last guy picked is gonna be a little embarrassed. If any format has the potential for chippy play, this is it imo.

Good point.

I think it will be more competitive than past All-Star games, and we'll get to see some weird pairings.

I want Lidstrom to roll out with Green or Chara :)

-----------------

Spell checker recommended the words maelstrom, Stromboli, and midstream as replacements for "LIdstrom". Lol.

The other players in the league despise Crosby. The past few years someone does a poll of players asking various questions and Crosby always tops the most annoying, the biggest whiner, etc. No way he would've been picked as Captain even if he was healthy.

Is there anyway you can actually substantiate that comment? How many polls have you seen that Crosby tops the list for biggest whiner? I have to believe that the whiner tag is slowly evaporating. There are some players that hate him, sure, but he's pretty well respected around the league. If you ever watch a Pittsburgh vs. Philly game (I'm thinking back to the 2009 playoffs), the games are pretty heated and it certainly looks like Richards and Crosby hate each other, but from what I understand, they are actually pretty good friends off the ice.

Comments from Shanahan, for what it's worth:

Shanahan says in voting for the captains, participating players asked about Crosby's health and whether he would be able to take on a captains role, which Shanahan says meant a lot to Crosby.

"The respect for Sid by his peers has never been higher."

Great to see Lidstrom get selected.

This news brings the total number of reasons I want to watch the ASG up to....One.

Good point.

I think it will be more competitive than past All-Star games, and we'll get to see some weird pairings.

I want Lidstrom to roll out with Green or Chara :)

Right. From a Red Wings fan perspective, this has to be the most interesting ASG ever. Especially since there are no other Wings participating. He can pick the best team without snubbing anyone. Can't wait to see who he selects for his assistants.

Edited by Broken 16

Right. From a Red Wings fan perspective, this has to be the most interesting ASG ever. Especially since there are no other Wings participating. He can pick the best team without snubbing anyone. Can't wait to see who he selects for his assistants.

I was wondering about this, I have seen the summaries that suggest the captains (with their assistants) will pick the rosters, but I haven't seen anything regarding how the assistants will be selected. You seem to suggest the captains will pick their assistants, do you know this for sure?

I was wondering about this, I have seen the summaries that suggest the captains (with their assistants) will pick the rosters, but I haven't seen anything regarding how the assistants will be selected. You seem to suggest the captains will pick their assistants, do you know this for sure?

I could have swore I read that somewhere over on the 20 threads that spawned after the announcement on HF. What I read implied that Lidstrom needed to select two forwards as assistants and Staal needed to select a forward and a D because each side needs 2 forwards and a D with letters. If I get time later, I'll try and dig up the link.

Edited by Broken 16

Great picks for Captains. I really enjoy the Staal pick and that should be tradition as long as a hometown guy deserves it he should get the bump.

I want to play with Lidstrom too...

Hey would anyone for fun like to run through a two person mock draft with me? I get to be Lids of course :) Send me a message if you want to waste some time right about now quickly picking a team.

Cool, congrats Nick! Glad Staal got picked as the other captain...that's a nice way to do it. I hope we get Stamkos - it'd be nice to see him and Lids play together once just for the Yzerman connection. I can't decide whether I want Nick to pick Perry or not...on one hand, he's not fit to polish Nick's shoes, but on the other, it'd be nice to have him NOT heckle our players for once.

I have to say, this draft thing does add interest to the ASG. There's only so much you can do to improve it, but I like how there's at least an element of surprise about the teams now. Even if the game itself is still going to be a joke, at least there's a bit of lead-up to it now.

Is there anyway you can actually substantiate that comment? How many polls have you seen that Crosby tops the list for biggest whiner? I have to believe that the whiner tag is slowly evaporating. There are some players that hate him, sure, but he's pretty well respected around the league. If you ever watch a Pittsburgh vs. Philly game (I'm thinking back to the 2009 playoffs), the games are pretty heated and it certainly looks like Richards and Crosby hate each other, but from what I understand, they are actually pretty good friends off the ice.

My guess is he's referring back to the ESPN Player Poll conducted in 2009. Among the questions asked of the players was "Which player complains the most on the ice?" 52% of player responses were Sidney Crosby. (Kris Draper even got 1% of the vote - haha.) http://sports.espn.g...809playersurvey

Other than that, though, I'm not sure there have been any other polls like that.

Edited by Selliria

First of all, congrats to Lids! Now I think I'm interested enough to see how this thing goes down.

Second...

97.1 they were going on about the "he didn't shake Lidas' hand" thing back in '09. I mean, yes, that really pissed me off but does anyone else feel that is all that really gets under their skin about this guy?

I recently watched the last episode of 24-7 and what I either didn't know or couldn't remember, is that teams always line up and shake hands after the Winter Classic...except this year after the Pens lost. The shot just showed the Pens walking off the ice with the Caps waiting and finally Boudreau just goes, "Ah f**k those guys" then laughs and walks off. :lol: