Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

Iginla is probably pissed off he does not get to be the captain :D

#3 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

Do other sports have such a hard time getting people to actually play in the game?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#4 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

Do other sports have such a hard time getting people to actually play in the game?

Nobody plays in the Pro Bowl for the NFL; last year they were down to their 5th and 6th string QBs in one conference.

Not sure about baseball or basketball, but those aren't as physical of sports so it seems less likely players will be begging off to nurse an injury.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#5 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

:blink:

Doesn't Briere play in a different Conference?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#6 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

Nobody plays in the Pro Bowl for the NFL; last year they were down to their 5th and 6th string QBs in one conference.

Not sure about baseball or basketball, but those aren't as physical of sports so it seems less likely players will be begging off to nurse an injury.

Isn't the ProBowl scheduled the weekend before the Superbowl this year? Good luck getting the teams playing the next week to send their players to that game.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#7 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

Iginla is probably pissed off he does not get to be the captain :D

Well, he can go pout in the time out section with the other crybaby then.

Correction: It would help if I read the article first. It's completely understandable to want to spend time with a loved one if their health may be failing.

Edited by Miss Wing Queen, 19 January 2011 - 06:02 PM.

#8 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

Isn't the ProBowl scheduled the weekend before the Superbowl this year? Good luck getting the teams playing the next week to send their players to that game.

I would at least show up Posted Image. I mean it is in HAWAII. Bit of a difference from Raleigh, I'd say.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#9 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

That doesn't matter this year because of the All-Star draft thing that they're doing.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#10 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:42 PM

/sarcasm.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#11 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:43 PM

That doesn't matter this year because of the All-Star draft thing that they're doing.

Oh, alright.

I guess I still don't fully understand the whole draft thing well.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#12 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

Players from the Super Bowl bound teams are automatically exempt from the game. But players from teams that didn't even reach the postseason bow out regularly. Despite the fact that the game is considerably more gentlemanly than your average football game, it's still easy to get injured doing routine things like starting and stopping.

Because absolutely no one cares about the Pro Bowl (just like the NHL All-Star Game) there's no controversy about players skipping out.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#13 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

Family member is ill and wants to spend time with her before she passes, do not see any real problem with this...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#14 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

Family member is ill and wants to spend time with her before she passes, do not see any real problem with this...

Couldn't agree more with this :thumbup:
IPB Image

#15 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

SUSPEND HIM!

#16 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

I would at least show up Posted Image. I mean it is in HAWAII. Bit of a difference from Raleigh, I'd say.

Hmmm free trip to Hawaii. Yeah, I live with that.

Players from the Super Bowl bound teams are automatically exempt from the game. But players from teams that didn't even reach the postseason bow out regularly. Despite the fact that the game is considerably more gentlemanly than your average football game, it's still easy to get injured doing routine things like starting and stopping.

Because absolutely no one cares about the Pro Bowl (just like the NHL All-Star Game) there's no controversy about players skipping out.

I didn't realize they were exempt. In that case I think they should give the fans a shot to see them play in the bowl. Football's a funny sport, though. Even with only 16 games a year they massively outnumber other pro sports in terms of man-games lost to injury.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#17 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

I don't like Iginla much, but I don't really care he's not going. I will admit the first thing that came to mind was that they should suspend him, but I was just saying that b/c of all the fuss about Zata. I don't really think anything of it and I can completely sympathize with his situation.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#18 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

I'm pretty sure the Pro Bowl is played in Miami now. Also, it seems to me that the MLB All-Star game is the only one that the players really seem to honor.

I totally sympathize with what Ignila is going through and spending his time with his family is way more important than any exhibition, even if the game was held in the highest of regards. Additionally, Briere totally deserves the honor - so I think all's well that ends well. Congrats to Briere and my thoughts are with Ignila.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#19 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

10 games, for a member of The Flames showing decency..... Though that may just be an internal suspension instead of a league issue.

#20 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:16 PM

Where's his suspension?