• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evanbartlett

Briere to replace Iginla at All-Star Game

Rate this topic

Do other sports have such a hard time getting people to actually play in the game?

Nobody plays in the Pro Bowl for the NFL; last year they were down to their 5th and 6th string QBs in one conference.

Not sure about baseball or basketball, but those aren't as physical of sports so it seems less likely players will be begging off to nurse an injury.

Nobody plays in the Pro Bowl for the NFL; last year they were down to their 5th and 6th string QBs in one conference.

Not sure about baseball or basketball, but those aren't as physical of sports so it seems less likely players will be begging off to nurse an injury.

Isn't the ProBowl scheduled the weekend before the Superbowl this year? Good luck getting the teams playing the next week to send their players to that game.

Iginla is probably pissed off he does not get to be the captain :D

Well, he can go pout in the time out section with the other crybaby then.

Correction: It would help if I read the article first. It's completely understandable to want to spend time with a loved one if their health may be failing.

Edited by Miss Wing Queen

Isn't the ProBowl scheduled the weekend before the Superbowl this year? Good luck getting the teams playing the next week to send their players to that game.

I would at least show up laugh.gif. I mean it is in HAWAII. Bit of a difference from Raleigh, I'd say.

Players from the Super Bowl bound teams are automatically exempt from the game. But players from teams that didn't even reach the postseason bow out regularly. Despite the fact that the game is considerably more gentlemanly than your average football game, it's still easy to get injured doing routine things like starting and stopping.

Because absolutely no one cares about the Pro Bowl (just like the NHL All-Star Game) there's no controversy about players skipping out.

Guest Crymson

Family member is ill and wants to spend time with her before she passes, do not see any real problem with this...

SUSPEND HIM!

I would at least show up laugh.gif. I mean it is in HAWAII. Bit of a difference from Raleigh, I'd say.

Hmmm free trip to Hawaii. Yeah, I live with that.

Players from the Super Bowl bound teams are automatically exempt from the game. But players from teams that didn't even reach the postseason bow out regularly. Despite the fact that the game is considerably more gentlemanly than your average football game, it's still easy to get injured doing routine things like starting and stopping.

Because absolutely no one cares about the Pro Bowl (just like the NHL All-Star Game) there's no controversy about players skipping out.

I didn't realize they were exempt. In that case I think they should give the fans a shot to see them play in the bowl. Football's a funny sport, though. Even with only 16 games a year they massively outnumber other pro sports in terms of man-games lost to injury.

Family member is ill and wants to spend time with her before she passes, do not see any real problem with this...

I don't like Iginla much, but I don't really care he's not going. I will admit the first thing that came to mind was that they should suspend him, but I was just saying that b/c of all the fuss about Zata. I don't really think anything of it and I can completely sympathize with his situation.

I'm pretty sure the Pro Bowl is played in Miami now. Also, it seems to me that the MLB All-Star game is the only one that the players really seem to honor.

I totally sympathize with what Ignila is going through and spending his time with his family is way more important than any exhibition, even if the game was held in the highest of regards. Additionally, Briere totally deserves the honor - so I think all's well that ends well. Congrats to Briere and my thoughts are with Ignila.

I'd like to think that the dust-up caused by the suspensions last year has caused the NHL to back off it's hard-line approach towards players missing the All Star Game. If the NHL is so hell-bent on punishing players who skip the game then fine the bejesus out of them ($50k? $100k), put it toward the emergency players fund, and fill the slot with players who genuinely want to go. The players don't have to play if they don't feel up to it, the AS Game doesn't get players that don't want to be there, the NHL/NHLPA get some cash to take care of their own...it's a Win/Win.