• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

Jimmy Howard will be back in net Thursday

Rate this topic

"No pain out there today," Howard said Wednesday, following practice at Scottrade Center. "The only reason I couldn't play Tuesday was I couldn't move. Gave me a couple extra days, continued to do treatment. The swelling is pretty much all gone. It wasn't affecting me at all today."

mlive

Same projected lines as the last few games as well in article.

Edited by HankthaTank

Great news there, MacDonald looked shaky and unsure about his decisions last night, made a couple good saves too, but that first goal was pretty deflating...

If Osgood is indeed done for the year as many reports are suggesting, Holland needs to go out and get a competent veteran backup... I wonder what Manny Legace is up to :ph34r:

Yeah Jimmy needs to really take the reigns here. He almost got outplayed by our THIRD string goalie.

One of the main reasons we were able to get through our big string of injuries last season was because Howie was excellent in net. I'd feel a whole lot better going forward if we would stop letting in 3 or 4 goals every single night.

Good I am glad MacDonald just was not cutting it although he did make a couple of nice saves. I just feel that the Wings play better when they have a goalie that they trust in net.

Great news there, MacDonald looked shaky and unsure about his decisions last night, made a couple good saves too, but that first goal was pretty deflating...

If Osgood is indeed done for the year as many reports are suggesting, Holland needs to go out and get a competent veteran backup... I wonder what Manny Legace is up to :ph34r:

I'm still doubting these "rumors." I've not seen any articles stating that the team feels he is out for the rest of the season. But at the same time, there have not been many news stories since his surgery to tell how well he is progressing, so it's up in the air.

Here's a Detroit News article that states:

"Holland expects Osgood to be healthy enough to return by March 1 and Modano by March 15."

Until I hear otherwise, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that early March is when he will be coming back.

Good to hear Jimmy will be back in goal on Thursday. I really feared the injury was worst than it has been based on how bad knee bruises usually are. MacDonald did better than I thought he would, and some of his saves reminded me of Jimmy's from last season. Although, I was getting a laugh every time Ken Daniels would shout "Oh, MacDonald . . ." when he made a great save because my mind always automatically added: "had a farm, ei-ei-oo."

I just hope Jimmy can get back to how he was playing last season and at the very beginning of this season because he really needs to carry us a bit until we start getting guys back.

Yeah Jimmy needs to really take the reigns here. He almost got outplayed by our THIRD string goalie.

One of the main reasons we were able to get through our big string of injuries last season was because Howie was excellent in net. I'd feel a whole lot better going forward if we would stop letting in 3 or 4 goals every single night.

Actually, he has a GAA of 2.83 so he isn't letting in 3 or 4 goals every single night but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story...

Actually, he has a GAA of 2.83 so he isn't letting in 3 or 4 goals every single night but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story...

He's talking about Howard's play since Christmas. Earlier in the season Howie had better GAA numbers. And well, that's just how averages work.

Yeah he is lucky he is getting pulled :P

Last 5 starts he has been pulled 3 times. One great game with a win another game with a win but let in 4 goals. Then during a ten game stretch after his last SO his GAA was 3.2 during that ten game stretch.

Now like I've said in every goalie thread this year team defense has been atrocious. He is not playing lights out hockey like last year plus the fact that we are not just doing a good defensive job equals his GAA being high.

I'm not even excited about this, to be honest. I'm tired of getting my hopes up with Howard. When he strings together a couple of good wins I'll get back board. Honestly, stats-wise, MacDonald wasn't any worse than Howard has been, so this feels like a lateral move until he proves it isn't.

I'm not even excited about this, to be honest. I'm tired of getting my hopes up with Howard. When he strings together a couple of good wins I'll get back board. Honestly, stats-wise, MacDonald wasn't any worse than Howard has been, so this feels like a lateral move until he proves it isn't.

Sadly you're right. :(

Yeah he is lucky he is getting pulled :P

Last 5 starts he has been pulled 3 times. One great game with a win another game with a win but let in 4 goals. Then during a ten game stretch after his last SO his GAA was 3.2 during that ten game stretch.

Now like I've said in every goalie thread this year team defense has been atrocious. He is not playing lights out hockey like last year plus the fact that we are not just doing a good defensive job equals his GAA being high.

Which 3 games did he get pulled? The colorado game, then he got hurt the next game, no? I only remember one time in the last few games he was pulled. The dive.

I agree. give me some better news like the return of datsyuk :D

Howard is like most goalies - as his defense goes, so goes his game. With the players we have had injured and the duration of the outages, I am not really surprised Howard is worn down and off his game.

There are really very few goalies playing right now who I consider game-stealers, aside from Thomas, on occasion.

We expect way too much of this team. That said, they looked like they were skating in a different dimension last night. They have to be better, or there is no hope for Jimmy.

Get out the torches and pitchforks. It's been a while since the fans have run a goalie out of town in Detroit, for playing as well if not better than the majority of NHL goaltenders... it's Jimmy's turn! ;)

Not to mention total misuse of the player as well. Granted he HAD to play as much as he did last year given Ozzie's obvious issues with stopping the puck at all. I mean I have used "confidence booster" for Jimmy too often but I stress that he just has to go back to what he can do. Here is hoping it starts tomorrow in St. Louis.

Edited by HankthaTank

Howard is like most goalies - as his defense goes, so goes his game. With the players we have had injured and the duration of the outages, I am not really surprised Howard is worn down and off his game.

Well said, Loo. This is a team, and as a team, they are losing. None of this falls squarely on one player's shoulders. The defense was starting to decline in early December, and then as we lost our most defensively-sound players, it continued to go downhill. That has a huge impact on how good the goalie looks and plays. But I do think, Jimmy needs to work on problems in his own game. We all know he can play much better. I just would like him to start making progress before April (and I know he can and will).

Edited by Miss Wing Queen

There are really very few goalies playing right now who I consider game-stealers, aside from Thomas, on occasion.

We expect way too much of this team. That said, they looked like they were skating in a different dimension last night. They have to be better, or there is no hope for Jimmy.

Get out the torches and pitchforks. It's been a while since the fans have run a goalie out of town in Detroit, for playing as well if not better than the majority of NHL goaltenders... it's Jimmy's turn! ;)

Whoa! Someone who actually made sense. Congrats.