• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Trapt1307

Wings Negotiating w/ Nabokov

Rate this topic

Can you imagine how good Nabakov could be with a team in front of him that doesn't choke in the playoffs?

EDIT: I know he'd be coming in to replace Osgood as the backup, but part of me seriously believes he'll end up stealing the Number 1 spot from Howard unless Howard really picks up his play. Either way, a great 1-2 punch.

Edited by VM1138

ah man i'd love to see this. as much i have bashed nabby over the years, i would take him with open arms just like bert if he performs decent. this could really be beneficial and i dont think holland would waste his time if he wasnt pretty sure he would clear waivers.

you don't think yzerman talked to holand before hand? I bet he did.

And I bet other teams that might have considered putting in a waiver request wouldn't have. That would have come through the former working relationship between the two, nothing more. You think Stan Bowman would have called Kenny if he were the one putting in the waiver request, or Jon Davidson? Doubt it. I'm not buying into the whole "The power of Kenny compels them" theory on getting Nabby through waivers.

Unfortunately that sentiment is not shared by all on this site.

Do Hawks fans care about their team or do they just care about screwing the Wings?

Judging by the fact that they chant "Detroit sucks" during non-Detroit games and even during their Cup parade, I'd rule in favor of the latter.

Agreed... Mursak, Tatar, IFlip, Emmerton, Axelsson, the list goes on and on, we had too many players and not enough spots, Ritola didn't prove worth keeping, so he put him through waivers and worst case scenario, he cleared and went to GR, but the Wings organization was not in his long term future either way...

Id love this IF it happened im still not going to get my hopes up seeing how he has to go through 24 other teams or so but if it happens im gonna be doing backflips lol and Howard he do it hawks fans only care about screwing the Wings, i mean they chant detroit sucks even when they arent playing us.

Forced retirement :(

If he's going to be good for the team then I'm all for it, I just hate that they'd be forcing Osgood out sort of like they did back in 2001.

I don't see this as forcing out. I see it as the Wings covering their own butts for if Howard goes down again or if Ozzie cannot come back.

Force out would be if Ozzie was healthy and they did this.

Ozzie's body crapped out on him this year, that is what would be forcing him out, not this move.

Is that why Stevie laid off claiming Ritola off waivers? Oh wait...

Yes, because Ritola has proven himself to be able to play on the same level as Nabbie, obviously.

Same here.

And I bet other teams that might have considered putting in a waiver request wouldn't have. That would have come through the former working relationship between the two, nothing more. You think Stan Bowman would have called Kenny if he were the one putting in the waiver request, or Jon Davidson? Doubt it. I'm not buying into the whole "The power of Kenny compels them" theory on getting Nabby through waivers.

I think there is more communication and 'back-room' deals going on than we know about. That's all.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Are you going to keep playing that card?

Yet, other goalies have had the same workload put on them and still managed to have postseason success. Maybe Nabokov's weakness is mental strength.

So sorry that I'm not bowing down to you.

The game is changing. Teams that rely on one goaltender to get them through the regular season are finding that it is harder to find success in the playoffs. San Jose found that out when they started to score on themselves. :hehe:

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

Are you going to keep playing that card?

Yet, other goalies have had the same workload put on them and still managed to have postseason success. Maybe Nabokov's weakness is mental strength.

Name ONE in the last decade that has pulled that workload and won a cup short of Brodeur?

Better yet, name ONE that's done that in the last decade that was over 30... it IS irresponsible for a team to play a goalie that much and expect him to be fresh come playoffs...

It had nothing to do with the "POWER" of Kenny. I don't even buy that. It's the respect that Yzerman and kenny had for each other and we really couldn't keep him here so why not. Yzerman is still detroit no matter where he goes and im sure kenny and everyone else feels the same.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

Front lines are depleted, D is hurting, the goalie situation is less than ideal, and the 1st move they DO make is getting a tender? :unsure:

F/D is needed before this I thought or roast McCrummy and get a new defensive coach in here.

Edited by Rivalred

I agree; GMs are in the winning business, they aren't about to pass up on opportunities to try and better their team just because the other guy is a buddy of theirs.

What I do think Kenny is trying to do, or at least was speculated by Bob McKenzie, is create a contract that in some way makes Nabby unattractive (or unavailable? I don't know) to other teams. What that could be, I can't begin to speculate. But we might anticipate something clever from the pioneer of the "billion year contract with throwaway years at the end" that Hank and Franzen currently enjoy.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Front lines are depleted, D is hurting, the goalie situation is less than ideal, and the 1st move they DO make is getting a tender? :unsure:

Need for a F/D is needed before this I thought or can McCrummy and get a new defensive coach in here.

We are only missing Stuart on defense, so I wouldn't say that they are hurting like the forwards are. Also, the Wings will be getting Datsyuk and Cleary back relatively soon, maybe before the break. Osgood is out long term, perhaps for the rest of the season, so I would say the goalie is the #1 concern right now.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Love this move. Puts Osgood in the retirement category, gives us a reasonably reliable goalie, and someone for Jimmy to compete with while sagging.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

It'll probably be like a NMC and some crazy bonus value

Perhaps a multi-year deal too. That could scare some teams away considering his number in the KHL.

Love this move. Puts Osgood in the retirement category, gives us a reasonably reliable goalie, and someone for Jimmy to compete with while sagging.

Ozzie can retire at years end... he'd need to LTIR for the remainder of the year this year while still being "active" otherwise, the caphit messes us up...

I agree; GMs are in the winning business, they aren't about to pass up on opportunities to try and better their team just because the other guy is a buddy of theirs.

What I do think Kenny is trying to do, or at least was speculated by Bob McKenzie, is create a contract that in some way makes Nabby unattractive (or unavailable? I don't know) to other teams. What that could be, I can't begin to speculate. But we might anticipate something clever from the pioneer of the "billion year contract with throwaway years at the end" that Hank and Franzen currently enjoy.

Think Kenny could structure a contract with enough bonus incentives large enough that would hit next year's cap to make teams balk at a waiver request yet be almost impossible to hit if Nabby played in Detroit?

Guest Howard He Do It?!

this forum is blowing up right now. this is/could be the biggest red wings news since the hossa signing.

I think it's just because people are finally getting to talk about Red Wings news that isn't injury related.