• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Trapt1307

Wings Negotiating w/ Nabokov

Rate this topic

Not at all, VERY different situation, Ozzie is likely done for year/career and Nabby would be a backup, knowing his role coming in, just with a chance to unseat Jimmy if he falters - Keeps Nabby hungry and Jimmy sharp - win/win

Of course the situation is different, but still 3 goalies that are potential starters on the team at one time (besides the fact one is done for the rest of the season?)

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Of course the situation is different, but still 3 goalies that are potential starters on the team at one time (besides the fact one is done for the rest of the season?)

You worry about next season next season, especially since this is the last year of Ozzie's contract. The fact that Ozzie could be done for the rest of this season is a major factor. Joey is not a capable backup.

Ozzie can retire at years end... he'd need to LTIR for the remainder of the year this year while still being "active" otherwise, the caphit messes us up...

In other words, the Maltby Contingency.

I must reiterate though that Kenny said he expects Ozzie to come back in a couple months. And that that could be a complete lie, of course.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

No real surprise coming from Kevin Allen:

Confirmed Daren Dreger's report that Red Wings close to signing Nabokov. But there are teams that will consider picking him up on waivers.

Twitter

Not at all, VERY different situation, Ozzie is likely done for year/career and Nabby would be a backup, knowing his role coming in, just with a chance to unseat Jimmy if he falters - Keeps Nabby hungry and Jimmy sharp - win/win
Love this move. Puts Osgood in the retirement category, gives us a reasonably reliable goalie, and someone for Jimmy to compete with while sagging.

Yep and yep. IF this does happen (which I think it will) it really means nothing but Ozzie's injury being as bad as everyone thought or heard and it then gives Jimmy something to focus on. 2 potentially solid goaltenders with 1 veteran, proven starter?? How could this be bad??

That's my concern as well...The Blues had 2 recently signed guys claimed (Svatos, and Wellwood) so maybe they'll be out for revenge?

yea, and what would they do with Conklin? I'd rather have Nabby, but I'd take Conklin back with open arms too... plus, didn't Conklin have a NMC?

EDIT - Just checked, Conklin has a standard contract...

Edited by stevkrause

I think it's just because people are finally getting to talk about Red Wings news that isn't injury related.

I'm with you. The injuries have been non stop slaps in the face. I think Nabokov would be a good backup for Jimmy. It's a solid backup and also someone he can compete with cause you know Nabokov wants to start so he is going to bust his ass to work for the spot and that is going to push Jimmy to better and stop giving up weak goals.

That's what I'm thinking too. Ozzie's probably done, that's probably the #1 reason why we're getting Nabokov. No way he'll be the starter, the KHL is a step down, it takes times for players to get back into the NHL ways, Hudler is a perfect example.

It's a low risk move, but could turn out to be a great one!

Edit: Also it says Nabokov hasn't played anywhere since December 13th. He'll be the back up.

Report: Nabokov bound for Detroit?

I love this. It's on the Red Wings' page, but they're quoting TSN and NHL.com. Like, "Whoa! Really? That's news to us! :cool: "

I think if this deal goes down Holland has a trade in place with whatever lower ranked team might claim him.

now THAT would be some sneaky, back room dealing -

"hey, Lou, we're gonna sign this guy, but we know he may not clear other teams waivers, but NJ has first billing of waivers and no cap space... so, yea, do us a solid and claim him and we will instantly trade you a pick for him, so you get a pick basically for just helping us out"

Edited by stevkrause

I don't see this as forcing out. I see it as the Wings covering their own butts for if Howard goes down again or if Ozzie cannot come back.

Force out would be if Ozzie was healthy and they did this.

Ozzie's body crapped out on him this year, that is what would be forcing him out, not this move.

Seriously, it's not forcing Ozzie out if Ozzie is going to be out the rest of the season. We need a backup. I doubt they're giving Nabby a multi-year deal. That would be forcing out Ozzie.

I guess I was thinking that he will be back this season. It's definitely not forcing him out if he stays on the IR the rest of the season, only if he truly can't play. He was really starting to play well. I do understand the need to look for a goalie since we just had first hand experience with both of our goalies out to injury and the backups not being very solid.

Guest stinky fish taco

you can't immediately trade a player right after you claim them on waivers.

sorry to burst your bubble, guys.

Nabokov was a part of the problem for those teams. Blame it on fatigue or whatever, he hasn't proven that he, personally, is able to step up his game in the postseason.

I doubt he'll clear waivers anyway.

He is a better goalie then Howard IMHO. Howards was a s*** show in the playoffs last year at the worst time too. A fresh start in Detroit could be just what Nabby needs... I love this if it happens. Goalie 1a and 1b again... dueling for the starting spot making each other fight harder!

now THAT would be some sneaky, back room dealing -

"hey, Lou, we're gonna sign this guy, but we know he may not clear other teams waivers, but NJ has first billing of waivers and no cap space... so, yea, do us a solid and claim him and we will instantly trade you a pick for him, so you get a pick basically for just helping us out"

Sneaky, dirty, and yet genius.

Confirmed Daren Dreger's report that Red Wings close to signing Nabokov. But there are teams that will consider picking him up on waivers.

So what happens if Nabokov doesn't want to go to the team that claims him?

I love this. It's on the Red Wings' page, but they're quoting TSN and NHL.com. Like, "Whoa! Really? That's news to us! :cool: "

Haha yea, the Wings are the ones making the news and they're quoting other sources!

He is a better goalie then Howard IMHO. Howards was a s*** show in the playoffs last year at the worst time too. A fresh start in Detroit could be just what Nabby needs... I love this if it happens. Goalie 1a and 1b again... dueling for the starting spot making each other fight harder!

That could also be due to the fact that he played probably 3/4 of the season. He was over worked last year.

I do agree though that having that competition would make Hboth of them better goalies.

WAIT A MINUTE! For all you Osgood haters out there that argue the only reason he has 400 wins is because he played for Detroit! Now, you say Nabby isn't that good, and shouldn't be signed, but then you say "ANYONE can be good in Detroit, even my grandmother can play goal for Detroit." Well here we have a great goalie wanting to play here were ANYONE can play (that is the ONLY reason Osgood has 400 wins right?) so maybe Nabby can come in a be SPECTACULAR! Besides if someone can win as much as he can and NOT play for Detroit, he should be AWESOME here, because Detroit wins in spite of the goalie and not because of, right? Remember, ANYONE can be goalie here and THE ONLY reason Osgood has 400 wins is because of where he played... So if Nabby can play that great NOT in Detroit, just think (using your guys' logic) how great he would be here?!?!?! Get it done Kenny! Because if Osgood can win here, ANYONE can! :ninja:

you can't immediately trade a player right after you claim them on waivers.

sorry to burst your bubble, guys.

unless language has changed in the CBA, you can. When Nashville claimed Doug Brown off waivers, the Wings immediately turned around and traded right back for him... Now if rules changed then so be it.