• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Trapt1307

Wings Negotiating w/ Nabokov

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

Please, most of his penalties are based on reputation and his turnovers have been minimal... plus, lets see, a big body on pace for 50 pts a season at less than 2m a year caphit, who was one of our ONLY guys to play all 82 games last year and hasn't missed any this year, plus a good guy in the locker room... yea, who wants that?

back to the topic at hand... this doesn't need to be derailed, if you want to argue that Bert isn't pulling his weight, take it into another thread...

You seem to be the one wanting to argue it. I just threw his name up as someone I consider tradebait on our team for Nabby if a trade was occuring (I doubt it).

*shrug*

Bertuzzi has been really solid this year, and you should factor money in to the equation, for instance I didn't have a problem with Robert Lang, he was an okay forward, I had a problem with Robert Lang making 4million. Bertuzzi at 1.5ish is fair, does he make mistakes, yes but you can't have a team of all Zetterbergs, Datsyuk's and Lidstroms. You have to grade on a curve.

Exactly - but as I replied... lets stay on track here:

Please, most of his penalties are based on reputation and his turnovers have been minimal... plus, lets see, a big body on pace for 50 pts a season at less than 2m a year caphit, who was one of our ONLY guys to play all 82 games last year and hasn't missed any this year, plus a good guy in the locker room... yea, who wants that?

back to the topic at hand... this doesn't need to be derailed, if you want to argue that Bert isn't pulling his weight, take it into another thread...

Bert has been playing the system, I don't need him to have 15 goals at mid season, when he is just 5 assists short of his regular season totals last year, i think he's playing a better overall game.

No one in his right mind would stick there neck out for hudler, but I think that he is still an asset, all it takes is a little spark and he catches fire, then there might be some actual value to trade him, but as of now he is overpaid, atleast he didn't wait till he was 40 and comeback for his contract :P

After reading a little more, i think said claiming team would have to hold onto Nabby for a while before moving him.

You seem to be the one wanting to argue it. I just threw his name up as someone I consider tradebait on our team for Nabby if a trade was occuring (I doubt it).

*shrug*

because I knew where this would go... it's like throwing a bloody piece of meat in the water and then saying "how did I know the sharks would start biting?"

Back to Nabby - over an hour since any news... call me crazy, but I'm starting to think this is actually going to go down... :yowza:

Edited by stevkrause

yes, after again going through waivers.

So let me get this right. If Nabokov is picked up on waivers, he can be traded to the Wings, only after going through waivers again. Couldn't the Wings just grab him on waivers the second time and then not have to trade for him? That doesn't make much sense. Or maybe in the rules it would say that if Detroit is trying to trade for him, then they do not get a shot at him on waivers.

Not stating the obvious, just thinking out loud...

Funny how this works, Nabokov is a free agent, but has to clear waivers to get signed. Being a free agent means you can sign where you want, but in this situation he could get claimed by a team he doesn't want to play for. Interesting...

So let me get this right. If Nabokov is picked up on waivers, he can be traded to the Wings, only after going through waivers again. Couldn't the Wings just grab him on waivers the second time and then not have to trade for him? That doesn't make much sense. Or maybe in the rules it would say that if Detroit is trying to trade for him, then they do not get a shot at him on waivers.

Just to set things straight, he would not need to go back through waivers to be traded, but would have to be on said team for 24 hours before he can be traded I believe...

Not stating the obvious, just thinking out loud...

Funny how this works, Nabokov is a free agent, but has to clear waivers to get signed. Being a free agent means you can sign where you want, but in this situation he could get claimed by a team he doesn't want to play for. Interesting...

Yep, crazy rules... basically this is just to encourage players to sign during FA and not wait until the season starts...

Edited by stevkrause

OK. WHAT IF!

What if this is a favor for Meehan and in return we get a discount on a FA next year? or something...

Kinda like "Hey, Get my guy back in the NHL and Ill see what I can do on a deal for ________________. and If he stays with you guys you win with a great #2 goalie for the rest of the year"

could this be a scenario?

"Whatever helps the team helps the team,'' Howard following the morning skate at Scottrade Center. "But I think for the most part everyone in here is planning on having (Chris Osgood) back here whenever he's due back.''

Well of course they are anticipating that because this just came to light but I do feel like it is going to happen. Just has that type of talk to it. Plus make Big Grey Miller take his old #18 now that Malts is retired and have Nabby take his trust 20. thumbup.gif

I come home for lunch, and this is what I find. Make me wonder if my co-worker receiving a text from her old boss who now works for Ilitch, stating "OMG!!!" is referring to all this.

I could never pretend to know all the inner workings of Ken Holland's brain, but I can see where he might be going with signing Nabokov.

1.) We have a more reliable backup and/or tandem for Jimmy compared to MacDonald.

2.) I do believe Ozzie will be back in early March, but I don't know who will be out to make room for Nabby's cap hit (maybe Miller.

3.) This is a tryout period because I think Ozzie will be given the chance to take us out through the playoffs if he performs well, but I believe this is his last season. So this sets up a possible goaltending option for next year, already tested out.

4.) Competition, competition, competition. You light a fire under Jimmy, Ozzie might step up his game more, or Nabby might win out over all of them. Either way it's a healthy dose of competition for all three.

5.) If Nabby doesn't clear waivers, Holland has something else already up his sleeve--maybe another deal already planned with a team who may claim him, for us to get their goalie? Who knows but Holland?

For the most part, I see it as a possible good move if all works out. The only thing is I hope Ozzie has not played his last game. He deserves a better closing to his career than this.

Guest stinky fish taco

Couldn't the Wings just grab him on waivers the second time and then not have to trade for him?

sure, except for the fact that waivers are based on the current standings now, and nearly every other team would get a chance to claim him before the wings.

Could we sign him to a contract for X amount and then give him a huge bonus if the team doesn't make the playoffs? Essentially making it impossible for any team to claim him that has any chance of missing the playoffs. Wonder if this is somehow against the CBA.

Edit: Not too big though or he'd intentionally suck :)

Edited by greenrebellion

I have to agree with those stating Holland has something up his sleeve on this one. The chance of Nabby slipping through waivers without a term that scares off other teams is zero, and Kenny hasn't become the best GM in the NHL with such simplistic plans. He may not get Nabby, but this could be a spring board for knocking another contender out of the running for another potential UFA goalies' services come trade deadline time. Even if its something this simple, its an effective plan.

Guest Crymson

I can't see this working, as someone would need to go on waivers were Osgood to return. Plus there's not really any cap space if Modano returns.

Theres gotta be more to this. With Modano progressing, soon we'll have a full roster again. Miller, Draper, Eaves and Abdelkader are all once again fighting for a spot. I think Helm, and Eaves are shoe-ins.. maybe with Miller's productivity of late, Holland has other plans for him. Trade Miller, Kindl and someone else for A defensman and Nabokov (assuming he will be claimed by another team). Or maybe the Wings are going to sign and trade? I think theres something stirring up, and it goes beyond just signing Nabokov.

I can't see this working, as someone would need to go on waivers were Osgood to return. Plus there's not really any cap space if Modano returns.

This is not some rumor from some fan. I'm sure they have a plan fro this to work or Holland would of never tried.....They do look at all the options before they make a claim like this right?

I come home for lunch, and this is what I find. Make me wonder if my co-worker receiving a text from her old boss who now works for Ilitch, stating "OMG!!!" is referring to all this.

I could never pretend to know all the inner workings of Ken Holland's brain, but I can see where he might be going with signing Nabokov.

1.) We have a more reliable backup and/or tandem for Jimmy compared to MacDonald.

2.) I do believe Ozzie will be back in early March, but I don't know who will be out to make room for Nabby's cap hit (maybe Miller.

3.) This is a tryout period because I think Ozzie will be given the chance to take us out through the playoffs if he performs well, but I believe this is his last season. So this sets up a possible goaltending option for next year, already tested out.

4.) Competition, competition, competition. You light a fire under Jimmy, Ozzie might step up his game more, or Nabby might win out over all of them. Either way it's a healthy dose of competition for all three.

5.) If Nabby doesn't clear waivers, Holland has something else already up his sleeve--maybe another deal already planned with a team who may claim him, for us to get their goalie? Who knows but Holland?

For the most part, I see it as a possible good move if all works out. The only thing is I hope Ozzie has not played his last game. He deserves a better closing to his career than this.

I don't think its a stretch to say that if Osgood, with a wonky groin, comes back this season (and we sign Nabby...) he won't be given his "fair" shot. If he even plays, I doubt he gets enough starts by the playoffs to prove himself. Combine that with the odds that Nabby or Howard outplay him, and its all but over for Ozzie this season.

Also, cap-wise, I don't see how this works without some money off the books. I would certainly expect Hudler to be on the block if this goes through...

Edited by achildr1

so did you come in here just to argue?hahaha=)

Nah, just love beating the Osgood haters up. When folks say any goalie can play and win here, but then when a great goalie wants to come here, he's not good enough. :blink: Nabby a much better goalie than Osgood, so if thats the case, we win!