• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Trapt1307

Wings Negotiating w/ Nabokov

Rate this topic

Why is everyone saying it wont happen. Kenny would not sign him if he were to not be a wing. if he gets claimed we will trade sometyhing for him. I Guarantee he will be a wing in the comming weeks

27 teams have to pass on a veteren backup at 570k or we will not see Nabokov this year, the CBA is pretty strict here.

So, I guarantee you are wrong.

Edited by Wingzman91

Guest mjtm77

To trade Nabokov at all this year, the team trading would have to put him on waivers.

It's becoming clear that Nabokov isn't coming to Detroit, but rather a basement team.

The only speculation left is, will the Wings end up with anything for their effort, i'd say now, that the idea was team b uses connection a to sign Nabby, so team b could get him on waivers, and then maybe give team a compensation for the help, but they wouldn't have to.

Likely we end up with a back up from another team and higher pick or prospect for a mid to late draft pick, and a player. (hudler?)

yea sorry i did not know about that sound like a good idea tho

Yep, crazy rules... basically this is just to encourage players to sign during FA and not wait until the season starts...

Did Sundin and Neidermayer have to clear waivers before they signed mid-year, or is this something new to prevent guys signing mid-season, or it is just because Nabokov was playing in Russia?

Why is everyone saying it wont happen. Kenny would not sign him if he were to not be a wing. if he gets claimed we will trade sometyhing for him. I Guarantee he will be a wing in the comming weeks

The team who claims him, can't trade him without exposing him to waivers. What part of that don't you get?

It would just be the same thing all over again.

Edited by 10 Minute Misconduct

I am really curious about this move. Holland must have some plan, I just can't figure out what it is, because he really can't expect Nabby to clear 27 teams at that price.

When I read this post I thought of the scene in the documentary The Season where Holland and the gang are just coming up with ideas and talking about trades.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Did Sundin and Neidermayer have to clear waivers before they signed mid-year, or is this something new to prevent guys signing mid-season, or it is just because Nabokov was playing in Russia?

CBA 13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

It's to stop NHL teams from hiding players in Europe until the season starts to avoid exposing them to the waiver wire.

It's to stop NHL teams from hiding players in Europe until the season starts to avoid exposing them to the waiver wire.

Unless the team loans the player out if a player is loaned out, then they don't need to clear waivers. But I doubt you'll ever see a player sign an NHL contract and then agree to be loaned out abroad.

Maybe Kenny worked out a deal with a lower team that if we sign Nabokov to a cheap deal, they pick him up off waivers and trade us their current goalie or someone else. So basically it would be like we're trading Nabokov to them. Sounds weird, but I'm grasping at straws now.

After listening to Dregs on TSN just now, I think were gonna get Nabby. Theres a reason it's taking so long, there not sure why. And bigger news, Nabakov isnt the best FA goalie on the market right now. Emery is ready to go and his agent believes the interest is gonna pick up starting the next few days. Who knows, I'd definately like see Nabakov in the red and white though.

CBA 13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

That last line appears to eliminate the possibility that a team with high priority on the waiver list would claim Nabokov and then flip him to Detroit for future considerations.

I don't see anyone claiming him off waivers. If they wanted him, they would have signed him already and not waited to take a chance on possibly getting him on waivers. Plus teams would probably have to make room for him if they did claim him (Going off the assumption most teams have a full 23 man roster).

After listening to Dregs on TSN just now, I think were gonna get Nabby. Theres a reason it's taking so long, there not sure why.

Maybe a "I'll only play for Detroit, don't claim me" vibe. He seemed to burn bridges with Philadelphia and obviously in San Jose (since Niittymäki just went on IR), so the list of Cup contenders with a goaltender need dries up pretty quickly.

So I guess guys can still pull a Sundin or Neidermayer, which I think is worse than this Nabokov situation.

Also didn't his Russian team just flat out get rid of him? Sounds to me they should be able to avoid the rule. But that little runt Bettman likes to act like a big shot.

Edited by Barrie

I don't see anyone claiming him off waivers. If they wanted him, they would have signed him already and not waited to take a chance on possibly getting him on waivers. Plus teams would probably have to make room for him if they did claim him (Going off the assumption most teams have a full 23 man roster).

I don't think anyone banked on getting Nabokov for 570,000 either.

Maybe a "I'll only play for Detroit, don't claim me" vibe. He seemed to burn bridges with Philadelphia and obviously in San Jose (since Niittymäki just went on IR), so the list of Cup contenders with a goaltender need dries up pretty quickly.

That's what it seems like. And for a basement dweller to pick up Nabakov, well that just makes no sense. Why grab a 35yr old on a 1 year contract when you can plug in a young guy who's part of your future. Definately interesting, just gonna have to wait and see.

That's what I am kind of thinking.

PS Did you get my PM?

I don't see anyone claiming him off waivers. If they wanted him, they would have signed him already and not waited to take a chance on possibly getting him on waivers.

True to a point, but the main offseason issues with Nabokov was money and term and then waiting too long before compromising wasn't an option and openings dried up. I can't see a scenario where Nabokov would willingly sign with a team that isn't a Cup contender and that immediately eliminates a large portion of the league (the ones with obvious goaltending needs).

While you can't discount him auditioning the rest of the season for an NHL contract this summer, I still think he'd rather get a shot at a Cup this spring in Detroit while taking the risk of little playing time rather than playing more on a lesser team and hoping that results in a contract with a contender next season.

Pretty intriguing stuff.