• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Trapt1307

Wings Negotiating w/ Nabokov

Rate this topic

Unfortunately thanks to our goofy CBA he'll have to pass through waivers and will never make it to Detroit if he gets signed.

I can see a few teams claiming him because they need goal tending help, and I can see more than a few claiming him so we don't win the cup.

Dreger:

Red Wings in discussions with veteran goaltender, Evgeni Nabokov. Deal today? Will have to clear waivers if it gets done.

McKenzie:

It looks like @Gordie78 may be a prophet. He said 4 hours ago Nabokov to DET and negotiatons are on and may be done soon.

Edit: Also from McKenzie:

Also, still no official confirmation from DET or Nabokov camp that deal is "done." Looks like it will be but it "ain't done til it's done."
Edited by wingsdiehard13

What does this mean for Howard? Nabakov is a bonefide #1. San Jose had a problem of riding him into the ground before the playoffs. Would it be a 50/50 tandem between the two?

He's not the best playoff goalie but he is solid overall and would be better then having Mcdonald or Larsson as a back up to Jimmy. This way both guys could split the games pretty even and be rested for playoffs.

According to @Gordie78, who claims to have a friend working for NHLPA agent Don Meehan - and who was credited by McKenzie with 'breaking' the story, Nabokov has already signed with Detroit.

We'll see about that. With Detroit up against the cap, would this suggest Osgood being placed on LTIR? I know I'm opening myself up here, but I don't know anything about the numbers. Can never seem to wrap my head around the CBA.

He outplayed Howard last year in the playoffs.

Guy is hardly a great goalie, but no Wings goalie has played well this season. I don't blame Holland for trying to do something.

Howard has himself to blame for potentially losing the starting job.

He outplayed Howard last year in the playoffs.

Guy is hardly a great goalie, but no Wings goalie has played well this season. I don't blame Holland for trying to do something.

Howard has himself to blame for potentially losing the starting job.

Nabby is a pretty damn good regular season goalie, he can start 70 games and have very good numbers. Playoffs have been different for him but he was on those Shark teams that have always choked big time.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

I won't get my hopes up due to the fact that Nabby would have to clear waivers, but this would be a stellar move if Kenny and the gang could pull this off.

Nabby's not a great goalie, there aren't really any in the NHL right now that hit that standard (elite, legendary, etc. do not really apply to any I can think of).

However, he's a great guy, and would thrive with a team like the (healthy) Red Wings in front of him. We could absolutely do worse. He'd fit our system well, character-wise, also. I know him best from San Jose and he flat out carried them, a lot. Kipper left because the Sharks were so dependent on Nabby, he never got ice time.

As for Ozzie, this sounds suspiciously like retirement to me. Guess we will see...

Guest Howard He Do It?!

The waiver rule doesn't apply to Nabokov; his KHL contract was terminated and he is a free agent.

Nabokov will have to clear waivers if he signs with Detroit in order to get back into the NHL.

It's the same situation as Marek Svatos and Kyle Wellwood, who both recently came back into the league as free agents. In both cases the Blues signed them, but they were claimed by other teams.

The Blues signed Svatos, who was then claimed by Nashville. St. Louis also signed Wellwood, who was then claimed by San Jose.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=350270

Well if he can get through waivers, this might turn out to be one hell of a steal. I think the problems in SJ didn't start & end with Nabby in goal like some would believe. I do think the move says less about the organization's belief in Howard & more about Ozzie's injury status.