• This topic is locked This topic is locked
434 replies to this topic

#221 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

I can't see this working, as someone would need to go on waivers were Osgood to return. Plus there's not really any cap space if Modano returns.

#222 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

I don't think this is even being looked at if Osgood were looking like he were going to return.

#223 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

Last thing I saw Ozzy do was curling, the whole time i'm like this is the last we see of Osgood on this team. F-ing curling. The only curling I like are on my fries.

#224 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

Theres gotta be more to this. With Modano progressing, soon we'll have a full roster again. Miller, Draper, Eaves and Abdelkader are all once again fighting for a spot. I think Helm, and Eaves are shoe-ins.. maybe with Miller's productivity of late, Holland has other plans for him. Trade Miller, Kindl and someone else for A defensman and Nabokov (assuming he will be claimed by another team). Or maybe the Wings are going to sign and trade? I think theres something stirring up, and it goes beyond just signing Nabokov.

#225 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:01 PM

I can't see this working, as someone would need to go on waivers were Osgood to return. Plus there's not really any cap space if Modano returns.

This is not some rumor from some fan. I'm sure they have a plan fro this to work or Holland would of never tried.....They do look at all the options before they make a claim like this right?
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#226 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

I come home for lunch, and this is what I find. Make me wonder if my co-worker receiving a text from her old boss who now works for Ilitch, stating "OMG!!!" is referring to all this.

I could never pretend to know all the inner workings of Ken Holland's brain, but I can see where he might be going with signing Nabokov.

1.) We have a more reliable backup and/or tandem for Jimmy compared to MacDonald.
2.) I do believe Ozzie will be back in early March, but I don't know who will be out to make room for Nabby's cap hit (maybe Miller.
3.) This is a tryout period because I think Ozzie will be given the chance to take us out through the playoffs if he performs well, but I believe this is his last season. So this sets up a possible goaltending option for next year, already tested out.
4.) Competition, competition, competition. You light a fire under Jimmy, Ozzie might step up his game more, or Nabby might win out over all of them. Either way it's a healthy dose of competition for all three.
5.) If Nabby doesn't clear waivers, Holland has something else already up his sleeve--maybe another deal already planned with a team who may claim him, for us to get their goalie? Who knows but Holland?

For the most part, I see it as a possible good move if all works out. The only thing is I hope Ozzie has not played his last game. He deserves a better closing to his career than this.

I don't think its a stretch to say that if Osgood, with a wonky groin, comes back this season (and we sign Nabby...) he won't be given his "fair" shot. If he even plays, I doubt he gets enough starts by the playoffs to prove himself. Combine that with the odds that Nabby or Howard outplay him, and its all but over for Ozzie this season.

Also, cap-wise, I don't see how this works without some money off the books. I would certainly expect Hudler to be on the block if this goes through...

Edited by achildr1, 20 January 2011 - 04:11 PM.

#227 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

so did you come in here just to argue?hahaha=)

Nah, just love beating the Osgood haters up. When folks say any goalie can play and win here, but then when a great goalie wants to come here, he's not good enough. :blink: Nabby a much better goalie than Osgood, so if thats the case, we win!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#228 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

You don't think Holland has looked at every possible angle...here's the results of what he and Jim Nill came up with for their plan:

Posted Image

:hehe:

Your any-time FSD online source, with pre and post game coverage along with any Red Wings specials.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#229 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

:thumbup: Gotcha!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#230 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:09 PM

You don't think Holland has looked at every possible angle...here's the results of what he and Jim Nill came up with for their plan:

Posted Image

:hehe:

Picture isn't showing

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#231 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

Not stating the obvious, just thinking out loud...

Funny how this works, Nabokov is a free agent, but has to clear waivers to get signed. Being a free agent means you can sign where you want, but in this situation he could get claimed by a team he doesn't want to play for. Interesting...

It's to stop teams from hiding players in Europe so that they can avoid waivers at the beginning of the season.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#232 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

couldn't he just refuse his assignment if claimed? Besides it's not like he was setting the world on fire in the KHL (from what I've heard)
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#233 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

For those in the metro Detroit area, they are discussing all of this on 97.1 The Ticket. You know, that station that never talks about hockey. :thumbdown:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#234 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:24 PM

For those in the metro Detroit area, they are discussing all of this on 97.1 The Ticket. You know, that station that never talks about hockey. :thumbdown:

And that would be right around the Valenti-Foster show which is normally dedicated to nothing but Michigan State and Mike's football picks for the weekend. Posted Image I guess anyone with a mic on a sports show can have a voice but they really need to give it up.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#235 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

@DarrenDreger

@capgeek. Deal still isn't done, but $570,000 for the rest of the year is what I'm told. Pro-rated to about $250,000. #nhl #redwings

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#236 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

And that would be right around the Valenti-Foster show which is normally dedicated to nothing but Michigan State and Mike's football picks for the weekend. Posted Image I guess anyone with a mic on a sports show can have a voice but they really need to give it up.

The Michigan State stuff usually gets brought up by moron Michigan fans looking to pick a fight. And yes, they do talk a lot of football but that's what brings in the callers.

#237 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

@DarrenDreger

Hard to imagine Nabokov doesn't get claimed at $570,000 or as the last tweet indicated...roughly $250,000 pro-rated.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#238 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

@DarrenDreger

that would be a steal....he'll get claimed.

#239 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

@DarrenDreger

Wow, who wants a cup? I think Nabby, unfortunately anyone would claim for that. Deal better be in place!

#240 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

@DarrenDreger

@capgeek. Deal still isn't done, but $570,000 for the rest of the year is what I'm told. Pro-rated to about $250,000. #nhl #redwings

I'd have to imagine there is something else in place to make him unattractive to other teams. Maybe some backroom dealing with another team? There is way more to this or perhaps there isn't and we are all crazy.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!, 20 January 2011 - 04:31 PM.