• This topic is locked This topic is locked
434 replies to this topic

#121 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,455 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

Getting ahead of myself, but he will backup Jimmy, correct? Assuming Ozzie's injury puts him out as long as stated. Or will they split the role as our goalies have done in the past?

that would be my assumption, that Jimmy is still #1, Nabs is back-up, or more like 1A/1B. I would see a split.

Nabby's a very good goalie, he's played for teams which dragged him down to where he had nothing left. The Wings won't do that to him. He will shine here.

This thread is racing right along in GF. Does that mean it's not a rumor?

:unsure:

I hope it's true. Love me a Euro-goalie, you know? :blush:

Edited by puckloo39, 20 January 2011 - 02:10 PM.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#122 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

He'll have to take a deal that's at or close to the league minimum with some very specific bonus targets (likely involving his playing and winning a playoff series or something like that).

I'm not worried about his playoff history right now since he'd only be the #3 goalie on the depth chart come playoff time.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#123 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

I don't think Holland was pissed that Ritola was claimed off waivers, honestly. It's not like we got screwed out of an all-star.

Unfortunately that sentiment is not shared by all on this site.

well looking on the blackCawks forum their fans are calling for them to pick him up just so that the wings wont get him=)

Do Hawks fans care about their team or do they just care about screwing the Wings?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#124 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:11 PM

Is that why Stevie laid off claiming Ritola off waivers? Oh wait...

you don't think yzerman talked to holand before hand? I bet he did.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#125 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

That's awesome to hear coming from a mod.

Being asked to start almost every regular season game is more than fatigue. It's irresponsible on the team's part. So yes, we are disagreeing. It's the sole reason why he wasn't able to perform at his best in the playoffs. So whatever you meant by "fatigue or whatever" I am disagreeing with. There is no whatever in this case and it's more than basic fatigue.

Are you going to keep playing that card?

Yet, other goalies have had the same workload put on them and still managed to have postseason success. Maybe Nabokov's weakness is mental strength.

#126 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

Can you imagine how good Nabakov could be with a team in front of him that doesn't choke in the playoffs?

EDIT: I know he'd be coming in to replace Osgood as the backup, but part of me seriously believes he'll end up stealing the Number 1 spot from Howard unless Howard really picks up his play. Either way, a great 1-2 punch.

Edited by VM1138, 20 January 2011 - 02:16 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#127 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

ah man i'd love to see this. as much i have bashed nabby over the years, i would take him with open arms just like bert if he performs decent. this could really be beneficial and i dont think holland would waste his time if he wasnt pretty sure he would clear waivers.

#128 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

And I bet other teams that might have considered putting in a waiver request wouldn't have. That would have come through the former working relationship between the two, nothing more. You think Stan Bowman would have called Kenny if he were the one putting in the waiver request, or Jon Davidson? Doubt it. I'm not buying into the whole "The power of Kenny compels them" theory on getting Nabby through waivers.

#129 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,613 posts

Unfortunately that sentiment is not shared by all on this site.

Do Hawks fans care about their team or do they just care about screwing the Wings?

Judging by the fact that they chant "Detroit sucks" during non-Detroit games and even during their Cup parade, I'd rule in favor of the latter.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#130 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Agreed... Mursak, Tatar, IFlip, Emmerton, Axelsson, the list goes on and on, we had too many players and not enough spots, Ritola didn't prove worth keeping, so he put him through waivers and worst case scenario, he cleared and went to GR, but the Wings organization was not in his long term future either way...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#131 wingfanatic4alltime

wingfanatic4alltime

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,129 posts

Id love this IF it happened im still not going to get my hopes up seeing how he has to go through 24 other teams or so but if it happens im gonna be doing backflips lol and Howard he do it hawks fans only care about screwing the Wings, i mean they chant detroit sucks even when they arent playing us.
IN KENNY WE TRUST!!

#132 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:18 PM

Forced retirement :(

If he's going to be good for the team then I'm all for it, I just hate that they'd be forcing Osgood out sort of like they did back in 2001.

I don't see this as forcing out. I see it as the Wings covering their own butts for if Howard goes down again or if Ozzie cannot come back.

Force out would be if Ozzie was healthy and they did this.

Ozzie's body crapped out on him this year, that is what would be forcing him out, not this move.

#133 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

Seriously, it's not forcing Ozzie out if Ozzie is going to be out the rest of the season. We need a backup. I doubt they're giving Nabby a multi-year deal. That would be forcing out Ozzie.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#134 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Is that why Stevie laid off claiming Ritola off waivers? Oh wait...

Yes, because Ritola has proven himself to be able to play on the same level as Nabbie, obviously.

Same here.

And I bet other teams that might have considered putting in a waiver request wouldn't have. That would have come through the former working relationship between the two, nothing more. You think Stan Bowman would have called Kenny if he were the one putting in the waiver request, or Jon Davidson? Doubt it. I'm not buying into the whole "The power of Kenny compels them" theory on getting Nabby through waivers.

I think there is more communication and 'back-room' deals going on than we know about. That's all.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#135 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Yet, other goalies have had the same workload put on them and still managed to have postseason success. Maybe Nabokov's weakness is mental strength.

So sorry that I'm not bowing down to you.

The game is changing. Teams that rely on one goaltender to get them through the regular season are finding that it is harder to find success in the playoffs. San Jose found that out when they started to score on themselves. :hehe:

Edited by Howard He Do It?!, 20 January 2011 - 02:22 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#136 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

Name ONE in the last decade that has pulled that workload and won a cup short of Brodeur?

Better yet, name ONE that's done that in the last decade that was over 30... it IS irresponsible for a team to play a goalie that much and expect him to be fresh come playoffs...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#137 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

It had nothing to do with the "POWER" of Kenny. I don't even buy that. It's the respect that Yzerman and kenny had for each other and we really couldn't keep him here so why not. Yzerman is still detroit no matter where he goes and im sure kenny and everyone else feels the same.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 20 January 2011 - 02:24 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#138 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,264 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

Front lines are depleted, D is hurting, the goalie situation is less than ideal, and the 1st move they DO make is getting a tender? :unsure:

F/D is needed before this I thought or roast McCrummy and get a new defensive coach in here.

Edited by Rivalred, 20 January 2011 - 02:24 PM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#139 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:24 PM

I agree; GMs are in the winning business, they aren't about to pass up on opportunities to try and better their team just because the other guy is a buddy of theirs.

What I do think Kenny is trying to do, or at least was speculated by Bob McKenzie, is create a contract that in some way makes Nabby unattractive (or unavailable? I don't know) to other teams. What that could be, I can't begin to speculate. But we might anticipate something clever from the pioneer of the "billion year contract with throwaway years at the end" that Hank and Franzen currently enjoy.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#140 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:24 PM

Can you imagine how good Nabakov could be with a team in front of him that doesn't choke in the playoffs?

EDIT: I know he'd be coming in to replace Osgood as the backup, but part of me seriously believes he'll end up stealing the Number 1 spot from Howard unless Howard really picks up his play. Either way, a great 1-2 punch.

Agreed.

Not knocking Howard by any means, but he wasn't himself last spring either, and from what I gather it'll be questionable as to Osgood's health/fitness once the playoffs begin.

I'd welcome Nabakov with open arms; he still has a few years left in him at the NHL level, and has gotta be hungry to put his days in the Bay behind him, and prove his critics wrong that he's a top tier netminder.

'Evolution' created by Offsides