• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:43 AM

6mil is crazy for ANY goalie, even Roy in his prime. Most GMs are getting wise to this, as high caliber goalies can be signed for relatively cheap now. Look at Turco and Nabakov. Leave it to Burke to throw a gigantic chunk of cash at a goalie to play for a team with horrid defense and little offense. Anyone else see a problem?

lolwut?

#22 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:58 AM

lolwut?

All things considered, he's still a high ranked NHL goalie in terms of status. He went from 6 mil a year to 1 mil with Chicago. My point is the days of goalies getting those kinds of salaries are over.....unless your GM is Brian Burke.

Edited by ShanahanMan, 22 January 2011 - 02:58 AM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#23 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

Actually, if he gets healthy and playing well, he could be pretty attrative at the deadline for a team looking for an experienced goalie.

His salary is an absolute non-issue. There won't be much left on his salary come the deadline and he's a free agent at the end of the season.

There are only two issues regarding his trade value:

1. - needs of other teams
2. - his health

#24 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:02 AM

6mil is crazy for ANY goalie, even Roy in his prime. The fact is, especially with the salary cap, money these days has to be allocated elsewhere and goalies can no longer demand the huge payout that they could in the past. GMs are getting wise to this, as high caliber goalies can be signed for relatively cheap now. Look at Turco and Nabakov. Leave it to Burke to throw a gigantic chunk of cash at a goalie to play for a team with horrid defense and little offense. Anyone else see a problem?

Um, The Wings paid Hasek and CuJo 8 million, which included a 1 million Cup bonus.

#25 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

I don't think Giguere has even made up his mind yet. One day he sounds like he wants to leave and the next day he mentions how much he loves Toronto. Just 2 days ago he said "I like playing here, I love wearing the white and blue."

I think Giguere is hoping he could put together a decent 2nd half and make burke consider re-signing him to something like 2mil.

Re-signing Giguere didn't look likely, but with Gustavsson drowning on them they might want to consider it.

Edited by puffy, 22 January 2011 - 11:31 AM.

#26 hokeychik22

hokeychik22

leapin' lou fontinato

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

he is a great goalie. yea he is getting older. always has been a favorite of mine.