• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nate94gt

Playing hockey

Rate this topic

I started skating last February; I was 25 at the time. I'd gone about twice in my life before that, and the last time was at least 10 years before then. It's definitely slow going at first, but man, is it the best feeling when you stop holding on to the boards and can finally get out there and fly (to a certain, wobbly extent). I would definitely suggest taking classes to learn the proper form (bent knees, staying on the inside of your blade, etc.), but once you get some basics down, have at it.

I didn't take classes at first, and I was way too wobbly because I was standing up too straight. The more time you have to get used to bending your knees, the better. I still have to concentrate on it, but you'll know if you're doing it right or not because when your knees are bend, you don't feel half as likely to fall over. So yeah, classes are a good thing. I can now skate forward confidently (although I'm still pretty slow...it's depressing seeing 12 year old hockey players blow past you, but they're getting a LOT more practice than I am), and I can skate backward really crappily, hehe. Still working on that part, but I thought I'd never be able to skate backward in a million years, so I get this big grin on my face when I do it, even if I do look like a duck waddling.

I haven't taken any hockey lessons yet, but I think I'll get started here in the near future. I'm worried about being the biggest beginner on the beginners' team when I do actually join one, but I love hockey so much that I can't not give it a go - I at least have to try! Anyway, take it from me, it can be taught! I went from not being able to let go of the boards to making sharp turns to avoid small children crashing in front of me in about 6 months, so it's not a hopeless cause!

Some people have recommended taking a beginner's skating or hockey skills class. I have to encourage that, and encourage it some more. Bad habits earned early on in your hockey "career" will be virtually impossible to break later on. I started when I was four years old - I had plenty of time and encouragement to change and grow into the skill set. You won't have that luxury. Get used to doing things the correct way now and you'll benefit hugely, and make quicker progress as a result.

Don't get disheartened if you go out there and suck it up, and be man enough to know if you just don't belong in a game - stay with people at your skill level if you join a league of some kind. Your skills won't grow very rapidly if you never get to touch the puck or make a play.

It's also been mentioned that you should have good health insurance. I second this motion. I've broken sixteen bones in my life. Half came from playing hockey. The last three years have seen two fairly serious knee injuries as well. If I wasn't covered, this sort of thing would get expensive in a hurry.

Other than that, remember to have as much fun as you possibly can. It's a great sport. Enjoy it.

I started looking into the same thing myself last year around this time. I had skated as a kid when we lived on a lake, but hadn't been on the ice for at least 10 years. As a girl trying to get into hockey, I thought it was going to be impossible to find anything that could take me from a complete beginner to recreational league level, especially starting as a 28-year-old adult. I started out with a learn to skate class at my local rink. I did a second learn to skate program this past fall. Money and time have prevented me from improving at a faster pace, but I have found places with programs geared towards women.

But I've talked to different people, and they said to get through the skills offered at the Basic 5 level (follow the US Figure Skating guidelines) because that would give me the best amount of skill to play well, enjoy the sport, and not get hurt (too much)! Now whether you can do this on your own or with classes is up to you. There are plenty of adult learn to skate programs out there, you just have to find the right one for you. My first one was all adults. My second one was ages 8 and up, and I felt like the only giant out there (although one very jealous giant watching eight-year-olds mastering a hockey stop and making it look so easy).

Whatever you do, remember you are doing it for yourself and to have fun. Enjoy the process as much as the end result because even though your skill set may be very limited at first, you'll never forget how happy you are when you first master a backward swizzle or how alive you feel leaving the rink after a good session.

Edited by Miss Wing Queen

I was like you a few years ago. I never even put skates on my feet until I was 18 and that was for 30 minutes with a girlfriend in college.

Fast forward about 10 years. I went out to a game with a friend and was too nervous to even get on the ice. My second time out I did and had fun. Certainly I was was the worst skater out there and everyone knew it but they all treated me good and were patient with the new guy. I skated just thos two times and then not again for 2 years.

I then started skating weekly with a group called Pass It On Hockey. It was a weekly group that had all different levels of players. I was still one of the worst and I tended to get very frustrated with myself- but everyone else was always very good to me. I played nearly weekly for about a year and a half and then moved away to a place with no rink within an hour and a half.

I was never able to learn to skate backwards in a game (can sowewhat do it on the ice by myslef at a very slow speed). I can't hockey stop- I have to sort of stop in a circle. Shooting is difficult (but I have learned wrist shots) and stick handling is almost impossible for me. Let me reiterate I was VERY FRUSTRATED with myself and not being able to keep up with everyone else and not beaing able to skate/pass/shoot/stickhandle like the rest of these guys; but they were not frustrated with me- they were always very patient and kind. Most of them would take time after and before games to work with me on things like learning how to stop, etc. They would also in games make sure to try to get me passes and shots, etc.

Even though I am a poor hockey player my love for the game kept me on the ice and I just want you to realize that you aren't the only one to start late in life and it will be a good time for you if you decide to do it. Be patient with yourself- most guys are just happy to have a new player on the ice with them.

To sum it in one word. Patience. Patience in your progress and patience on the ice. Learn patience as soon as possible. All the greatest players in the world have one thing in common. Patience.

Did I mention patience? :)

Read this after I posted and just want to stress that he is dead on. I was impatient with myself- but nobody else was impatient with me. Don't be hard on yourself just enjoy learning a new SKILL.

To sum it in one word. Patience. Patience in your progress and patience on the ice. Learn patience as soon as possible. All the greatest players in the world have one thing in common. Patience.

Did I mention patience? :)

BTW, I skate like Happy Gilmore, so I know how the OP feels.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I've never played hockey in a club but I started skating when I was 4 or 5. The strange thing was though that I always skated only with my right foot and the left foot just kinda stood there. It wasn't until 10 or something like that when I learned to do it with both feet.

Don't let this turn you off. Its never to late to start playing (I started at 40+ and am having a ball). If you still live in Allegan, there are several possiblities.

1. Jolly Rogers in GR. Offers an adult learn to skate/learn to play on Sunday late afternoons. 1/2 spent on skating drills, 1/2 hour on puck drills and 1/2 hour scrimmage. Call and ask for Kurt to find out more.

2. Walker Ice and Fitness Center in GR. Offers an instructional league on Thursday mornings (6-7 am) during the Fall and Winter, Monday evenings 7-8:30 pm during the Spring and Summer. Hockeysmith South is the program. http://www.hockeysmithsouth.net is the website.

3. The Edge in Holland. Travis Richards, who played in the AHL for 13-15 seasons offers an adult clinic. I think its every week drop-in style. Rumor has it that Southside (100th Avenue and US 131) has been purchased by The Edge and is reopening soon. Travis is expected to move there. Call The Edge for more details.

It will take some time go to as many open skates as you can. That said our local rink has many leagues some of the skaters can hardly stand up but still have a ball playing. It is a great way to get into shape you will not believe how much work it is. Now the first thing is to get some good skates don't go cheap on skates or you will not play vary long. Next just go out and have fun!!

It will take some time go to as many open skates as you can. That said our local rink has many leagues some of the skaters can hardly stand up but still have a ball playing. It is a great way to get into shape you will not believe how much work it is. Now the first thing is to get some good skates don't go cheap on skates or you will not play vary long. Next just go out and have fun!!

Yes!! I forgot to say that last night. Go and get yourself some hockey skates (good ones) ASAP! The balance point is totally different than rental skates. I started out with rentals, and I basically had to re-learn everything when I switched to hockey skates. It sucked.