• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

Read exactly what I said. NJD picks up Nabby. NJD waives Nabby. DET has first crack and picks up Nabby. DET gives NJD a pick for some no-name prospect or other, really as thanks for the Nabokov waive.

Waiver Wire Madness

If NJD were to claim him and then try to trade him they would have to first re-expose him to waivers. Every team that put a claim in for him in his first go about through waivers (today) who have a crack at him again + Detroit. During his second go about through waivers the order of waiver precedence would be based on the standings as of that date.

At least that's my understanding.

Edited by mmamolo

I think it would be good to get Nabby but I'm not going to hold my breath about it. I guess we'll see in 24 hours. I think it's pretty s***ty if a team does claim him. No one wanted him at the start of the season now I understand circumstances change throughout the course of the season but if another team wanted him they should have made the effort to sign him. Now if he does get claimed I just wonder what the Wings next step will be.

Read exactly what I said. NJD picks up Nabby. NJD waives Nabby. DET has first crack and picks up Nabby. DET gives NJD a pick for some no-name prospect or other, really as thanks for the Nabokov waive.

How does Detroit get the first crack?

I think it would be good to get Nabby but I'm not going to hold my breath about it. I guess we'll see in 24 hours. I think it's pretty s***ty if a team does claim him. No one wanted him at the start of the season now I understand circumstances change throughout the course of the season but if another team wanted him they should have made the effort to sign him. Now if he does get claimed I just wonder what the Wings next step will be.

I know what you're saying but I don't think it's entirely fair to say 'no one wanted him at the beginning of the season.' I think no one wanted him at the price tag he wanted. Not to mention the term he may have been asking for. That's probably why he signed in the KHL.

Had he signed a 1 year deal for $570k I guarentee interest across the league would have been far greater during last summer.

I know what you're saying but I don't think it's entirely fair to say 'no one wanted him at the beginning of the season.' I think no one wanted him at the price tag he wanted. Not to mention the term he may have been asking for. That's probably why he signed in the KHL.

Had he signed a 1 year deal for $570k I guarentee interest across the league would have been far greater during last summer.

Exactly what I've been telling people. He's an absolute steal at his price tag now.

Depends on how bad some of the GMs in the league don't want the Wings to have him.

I think its going to come less down to this and more down to who needs goaltending help and for a CHEAP price. The salary cap hit is less than a half million for the rest of the season. This for a guy who took his team to the conference finals last year. His numbers are solid. Hell, some backups get paid more than Nabby is going to be getting paid.

My bet is that he won't clear waivers. Someone will take him that needs the help in goal.

Wow.. Nabokov is a Wing for a cup of coffee and it get s 13 page thread? Before he is even (or ever going to be) a Red Wing.

hmm I feel cheated... Here I am going nuts on Twitter pages and things and I know in my mind that he won't be a Red Wing...

so Why am I checking sites like I am crazed with this notion that Nabokov will wear a winged wheel? :ranting:

on the other hand....It's great drama :yowza:

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

That I do understand and I can see you point. I guess I'm just being biast in favor of the Wings I just don't like the concept of being able to sign a player but not be able to get him becasue all the other teams get a crack at him. I just don't see why if someone did want him at this point in time why they didn't take it upon themselves to make him the offer. It' certainly not the end of the world if we don't get Nabby I just wonder what's next if we don't get him.

Exactly what I've been telling people. He's an absolute steal at his price tag now.

There's no question that even if he can regain some of his form he may be one of the best value goalies in the league on this contract. People can talk about his playoff performances all they want but they shouldnt conviently forget to mention the disappearing acts of Thornton, Marleau and co. during those performances. Not to mention that when you couple Nabokov's contract with a potential goaltending partner like Howard you've got maybe the strongest (for cap hit) tandem in the league.

A lot of speculation at the moment, but still curious on my folks think Miller is the odd man out. He plays the PK and as of right now, with some of our other PKers out, may not happen

Miller would/could only be the odd man out once everyone else is healthy because Draper isn't going anywhere and as everyone has noted before Eaves and Miller provide the same things except Eaves provides more speed and offense (plus has more potential to grow).

That I do understand and I can see you point. I guess I'm just being biast in favor of the Wings I just don't like the concept of being able to sign a player but not be able to get him becasue all the other teams get a crack at him. I just don't see why if someone did want him at this point in time why they didn't take it upon themselves to make him the offer. It' certainly not the end of the world if we don't get Nabby I just wonder what's next if we don't get him.

It is to discourage players from signing outside of the FA period and being "part-time players" or circumventing the cap with vets... it has its place, but I agree, it is frustrating...

If anything, I think the NHL should essentially treat it like an RFA offer sheet, they go through waivers, but if a team claims them, they have to give the initial signing team compensation, based on the salary...

Personally, I would think that there was interest in Nabokov but other teams were worried about the exact same thing you're worried about - signing him to a deal, having to expose him to waivers since he started the season playing outside of North America, and then losing him to a waiver claim. So maybe other teams who had interest felt it was more plausible to get him on their roster by waiting for someone else to sign him and then trying to submit a waiver claim.

There's no question that even if he can regain some of his form he may be one of the best value goalies in the league on this contract. People can talk about his playoff performances all they want but they shouldnt conviently forget to mention the disappearing acts of Thornton, Marleau and co. during those performances. Not to mention that when you couple Nabokov's contract with a potential goaltending partner like Howard you've got maybe the strongest (for cap hit) tandem in the league.

Miller would/could only be the odd man out once everyone else is healthy because Draper isn't going anywhere and as everyone has noted before Eaves and Miller provide the same things except Eaves provides more speed and offense (plus has more potential to grow).

Well, still have a few weeks before everyone is healthy. Casts need to come off, guys need to go through some eval and full practices...

Guess we will wait and see

Personally, I would think that there was interest in Nabokov but other teams were worried about the exact same thing you're worried about - signing him to a deal, having to expose him to waivers since he started the season playing outside of North America, and then losing him to a waiver claim. So maybe other teams who had interest felt it was more plausible to get him on their roster by waiting for someone else to sign him and then trying to submit a waiver claim.

I think the more likely scenario was that he wasn't willing to go anywhere else on the cheap and no one else wanted to offer him more, but this is Detroit - that changes everything :)

Wow.. Nabokov is a Wing for a cup of coffee and it get s 13 page thread? Before he is even (or ever going to be) a Red Wing.

hmm I feel cheated... Here I am going nuts on Twitter pages and things and I know in my mind that he won't be a Red Wing...

so Why am I checking sites like I am crazed with this notion that Nabokov will wear a winged wheel? :ranting:

on the other hand....It's great drama :yowza:

HEY!! im having a better work day because of this=) hahaha

Well, still have a few weeks before everyone is healthy. Casts need to come off, guys need to go through some eval and full practices...

Guess we will wait and see

Yeah, absolutely. Ultimately, someone else could easily get injured and we may never have to face to possibility of losing Miller anyways. Or even Osgood's injury drags on and he can't return. Anything can happen.

Or we just dont even get Nabokov (or any other goalie) and all of this discussion was a massive waste of time. But you're right...

I think the more likely scenario was that he wasn't willing to go anywhere else on the cheap and no one else wanted to offer him more, but this is Detroit - that changes everything :)

I'd love to believe that's the entire truth. Although it's probably partly true. If you think about the letter Meehan sent out I'm sure there's some truth to what you're saying. Say a team wanted to sign him for dirt cheap to be a back up he'd just reject it. Hell maybe he'd reject a $2M dollar contract if it meant he was a back up. Who knows really. But that doesnt mean teams werent interested. I think it was a smart move on Meehan's part to send the letter. It's telling teams that had interest in signing him as a back up that they should stay clear cause he just won't bother coming or he will show up and cause problems for them so why mess with chemistry

I'd love to believe that's the entire truth. Although it's probably partly true. If you think about the letter Meehan sent out I'm sure there's some truth to what you're saying. Say a team wanted to sign him for dirt cheap to be a back up he'd just reject it. Hell maybe he'd reject a $2M dollar contract if it meant he was a back up. Who knows really. But that doesnt mean teams werent interested. I think it was a smart move on Meehan's part to send the letter. It's telling teams that had interest in signing him as a back up that they should stay clear cause he just won't bother coming or he will show up and cause problems for them so why mess with chemistry

I hope there was some "read reading between the lines" context to the letter Meehan sent -

"Dear other NHL clubs, (listen f***ers)

My client is only interested in a starting position, so please do not put in a claim on him unless that is an option. (Don't claim him, he only wants to play for Detroit and if you do, he won't show up and you'll piss me off, which you don't want to do since I represent 98% of the NHL)

Thank you (tread lightly)"

:lol:

Edited by stevkrause

This deal has to be about making another team want to get rid of one of their goalies. If the Devils get him, Hedberg becomes expendable. If the Oilers get him, Khabibulin is expendable. The Wings can then move in and get somebody cheap. I would be really surprised to not see a trade between the Wings and whomever picks up Nabokov.

Edited by xtrememachine1

This deal has to be about making another team want to get rid of one of their goalies. If the Devils get him, Hedberg becomes expendable. If the Oilers get him, Khabibulin is expendable. The Wings can then move in and get somebody cheap. I would be really surprised to not see a trade between the Wings and whomever picks up Nabokov.

Not necessarily, the Capitals are the ones that scare me most in this scenario to be honest, heavy Russian contingent and Neuvirth still is waiver exempt and can be sent down without an issue and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Varlamov is still waiver exempt too...

Plus, both goalies are young and this would be a veteran presence and probably good for Varlamov to learn from, plus they tried to sign him in the off-season but couldn't agree on $$ and isn't one of the 2 of them injured right now anyway?

Edited by stevkrause

Not necessarily, the Capitals are the ones that scare me most in this scenario to be honest, heavy Russian contingent and Neuvirth still is waiver exempt and can be sent down without an issue and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Varlamov is still waiver exempt too...

He would be a great fit in Washington, but no way does he drop that far. His deal is so cheap, he's practically free. You'd have to be nuts to pass on him.

is nabokov a red wing yet?

Haha after reading all this ya would think so but not yet. He has to clear waivers. His 24 hour waiver period started at noon EST. So he is a solid 25 minutes into his waiver period. Only 23 hours and 35 minutes left of waiting!

But like most on here, it's highly doubtful he'll actually clear waivers. The only logical way he becomes a Red Wing is if by some miraculous deal with the NJD and no one else puts in a claim for him.

Edited by WingZNut13