• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

Are any teams even speculated to be in the running?

i havent seen anything official. Word is the islanders, philly and sharks are. however i have no official source to back that up, so dont take my word for it.

I wonder if we'll be told at noon, or if there will be a bit of a wait.

I think there will be a bit of a wait. If I remember correctly, there's usually a bit of time to make sure they go through all the claims properly.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I just realized that 12 Detroit time is 11 my time. Yay! I get the news an hour earlier than I thought!

I suppose there will be some sort of announcement made by the League as to who the lowest team is?

Now that I think about it, they will have to wait until noon to be sure that all of the bids are in, and then make sure that the winning team is cap-compliant before they announce it. Of course they could be doing this right now with the winner-apparent just in case no lower teams put in a bid.

I wonder if we'll be told at noon, or if there will be a bit of a wait.

I'm also wondering something else. Does anyone know where Nabokov is right now? When will he have to report to his new team?

Likely sometime soon after 12noon we'll hear from tsn or simular source what happened, but everyone will question it until nhl/wings offically announce @ 1.

I think there will be a bit of a wait. If I remember correctly, there's usually a bit of time to make sure they go through all the claims properly.

They said they would announce it at noon EST!!! That probably means about 245-3ish

Guest CaliWingsNut

They said they would announce it at noon EST!!! That probably means about 245-3ish

We'll know before the game starts.

i havent seen anything official. Word is the islanders, philly and sharks are. however i have no official source to back that up, so dont take my word for it.

Philly has a better record than us so they are out - we would get to claim him before them.

The Islanders are not going to make the playoffs (they are 17 points out of 8th) so that doesn't make sense. Why claim him for what is less than half a season when he is going to become a free agent at the end of the season. It would be better to give one of your young goalies some experience.

As far as San Jose, that would be just awkward. They let him go because they didn't want to pay him now they want him back because he's cheap. I would think that Nabby would be a little bit bitter about that but who knows.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Ok. I will stick my neck out. I think that he is ours. If I'm wrong, I will eat crow.....

big stretch there... calling it a whole hour ahead.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Does anyone know the reasoning behind the whole waiver rule? It seems like all it does is screw the signing team over so I was wondering why the league put it in place.

To keep teams from having a 40 man roster including the AHL?

I don't like this suspense.

Chris: Detroit can't claim him until all 29 teams pass. Their position is irrelevant.

Well that sucks. So Philly could claim him even though they have a better record than us? Sorry but that's just stupid.

big stretch there... calling it a whole hour ahead.

The time has nothing to do with it. They don't reveal if there were any claims until noon. Several teams may have already claimed him.

All that we have learned is that New Jersey and the Islanders have publicly said that they would not make a claim. So it is a stretch. Anybody else want to join me?

Does anyone know the reasoning behind the whole waiver rule? It seems like all it does is screw the signing team over so I was wondering why the league put it in place.

It's to keep teams from hiding players in Europe then bringing them to the NHL for the playoffs.

Edited by Doc Holliday

I think it is to prevent a team from getting a cheap (pro-rated) player for half a season.

Say that Bob Forward (fictional player) played for the Fighting Hamsters, but they didn't have enough cap space to meet his $4m/season demands. They only had $2m. If they just didn't sign him and he, as a free agent went to Uganda to play with the Galumphing Turtles for their season (which ends in January) for $3m, and then signed with the Hamsters for $4m (but since half of the season was over, it would only cost them $2m), he'd get $5m, and the Hamsters would get a $4m player for half price for the rest of the season and the playoffs. It gets them in under the cap, but his value is more than that so it circumvents the cap.

At least that's how I understand it. Hopefully if there's more to it, someone else will chime in.

I think it is to prevent a team from getting a cheap (pro-rated) player for half a season.

Say that Bob Forward (fictional player) played for the Fighting Hamsters, but they didn't have enough cap space to meet his $4m/season demands. They only had $2m. If they just didn't sign him and he, as a free agent went to Uganda to play with the Galumphing Turtles for their season (which ends in January) for $3m, and then signed with the Hamsters for $4m (but since half of the season was over, it would only cost them $2m), he'd get $5m, and the Hamsters would get a $4m player for half price for the rest of the season and the playoffs. It gets them in under the cap, but his value is more than that so it circumvents the cap.

At least that's how I understand it. Hopefully if there's more to it, someone else will chime in.

yeah, pretty much. Keeps teams from hiding players overseas so they can sign them later for cheaper.

Only about 40 more minutes left to wait... Please Hockey Gods, just let him become a Red Wing!

Like I said before, what a letdown it would be for Nabokov to think that he's going to the Wings and then get claimed by the Islanders.

I read something last night that said Nabby will refuse to report to a bottom-feeding team. If the Islanders do claim him, he will bow out and just wait till next season to play. And since it seems like he wants to be with the Red Wings, I would assume he'll just sign with us in the offseason as a free agent.