• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

It has been posted already. But waivers was instituted so you cannot hide a guy in the minors or Europe for a whole year, off the payroll, and bring him back for the playoffs or whenever you want him.

That doesn't really make any sense...If that's what they are concerned with then just have the waivers for the playoffs...His salary counting against our cap is the checks and balances here...

I really don't understand.

And, really no need to say it's been posted already, there are 37 pages, I'm not reading them all. Thanks for responding, but no need to take a quick jab.

The whole waiver rule for this is stupid anyway... Nabby signed a 550K contract because he was going to play for the Red Wings, not the Islanders. I don't even know if he would have been that good, but man this pisses me off. f*** you Garth Snow.

They need a goalie for a while, and it only costs them $570,000. What doesn't make sense?

That they're acquiring a player that might actually help them win a couple games, when up to this point in the season they've been dealing any player they can (Wisneiwski, Roloson) to try and plunge to bottom of the standings as quickly as possible. They can't even trade him for anything, and it's likely he won't even report to the team, in which case they're stuck with him taking up a roster spot until they probably just waive him again.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

Guest CaliWingsNut

That doesn't really make any sense...If that's what they are concerned with then just have the waivers for the playoffs...His salary counting against our cap is the checks and balances here...

I really don't understand.

And, really no need to say it's been posted already, there are 37 pages, I'm not reading them all. Thanks for responding, but no need to take a quick jab.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2011-01-21/nhl-waiver-rules-could-use-an-update

Problem with this is how much Osgood will be able to play. It will take him a while to get into game shape, once he is healthy. And, while he is getting healthy Howard will be getting tired playing every game until then. This is why the Wings were trying to get Nabokov.

Everyone's written off Osgood his entire career. No doubt his career is winding down, but he was playing well despite injury before going down. If he comes back without pain, it stands to reason that he'll be capable of maintaining a solid level of play. So long as he's healthy, I think there's a good chance he'll start in the playoffs if Jimmy doesn't get going, and we've seen what he can do there.

I'd love for Howard to get more breaks, but I'd rather not have an outsider come in and screw with Howard's head even more. I think he'll get worn down a bit, but he'll get breaks here and there and will get a lot more rest once Osgood returns as Osgood will get more games than usual to get warm and see if he can get it going.

With Osgood and Howard, I think it's far more likely that Jimmy will get signed again over the summer. If he loses the starting job to an outsider, he's gone. I think it'd be a mistake to let that happen. I think this year is going to be a wash for him, but it'll be good for his development. It'll make him tougher in the coming years. Sign he and Osgood up for 1 year each this summer, Osgood for dirt cheap and Howard at low number. Give him another chance to prove it after having a couple of years of ups and downs under his belt. I think we'll see good things.

Edited by gcom007

I agree with that as long as it's the same team sending him to europe then bringing him back but how fair is it for a team who never owned him to have to send him through waivers. That's the part I don't like.

esteef

If he was signed before December 15th, none of this would have mattered. Before that date, any player who played in Europe this year could have been signed without the waiver process.

they gave Roloson and Wisniewski for "nothing" and then claim Nabokov...what a joke

I have long suspected that the Islanders' management team is in reality just an elaborate game of truth or dare.

Not sure if this is possible, but i would easily be okay with giving up Drew Miller to get Nabby. But only Miller. No way I would be comfortable giving up anything more than that. Although It prolly doesnt matter anyways cause I remember reading that whoever claims him can't just trade him right away for whatever reason..

The whole waiver rule for this is stupid anyway... Nabby signed a 550K contract because he was going to play for the Red Wings, not the Islanders. I don't even know if he would have been that good, but man this pisses me off. f*** you Garth Snow.

You really think that he and his agent thought he would clear waivers? You really think they're surprised? The possibility that something like this could happen didn't sneak up on them after they signed the deal. Come on...

out of curiousity and subtleness I ask this... have you talked to Babcock? do you really know that if Nabokov wouldve been in Detroit that he wouldve been backup? that is the most goofiest thing i have ever heard in my life.. No offense, to noone but are u kidding?

If we need to have a 35 year old Nabokov as our starter, we are f***ed. If you need a 35 year old certified playoff choking goal tender to be your starter in the playoffs, the wings have no chance to win a cup.

Obviously no one here has talked to Babcock, however if you have a link somewhere that Babcock said Nabokov would be starting then I'd be happy to read it.

I'd rather give a young Howard more playoff experience and let him prove himself than put in a goal tender who's built himself a long career of sucking in the playoffs. but thats just me.

Everyone's written off Osgood his entire career. No doubt his career is winding down, but he was playing well despite injury before going down. If he comes back without pain, it stands to reason that he'll be capable of maintaining a solid level of play. So long as he's healthy, I think there's a good chance he'll start in the playoffs if Jimmy doesn't get going, and we've seen what he can do there.

I'd love for Howard to get more breaks, but I'd rather not have an outsider come in and screw with Howard's head even more. I think he'll get worn down a bit, but he'll get breaks here and there and will get a lot more rest once Osgood returns as Osgood will get more games than usual to get warm and see if he can get it going.

With Osgood and Howard, I think it's far more likely that Jimmy will get signed again over the summer. If he loses the starting job to an outsider, he's gone. I think it'd be a mistake to let that happen. I think this year is going to be a wash for him, but it'll be good for his development. It'll make him tougher in the coming years. Sign he and Osgood up for 1 year each this summer, Osgood for dirt cheap and Howard at low number. Give him another chance to prove it after having a couple of years of ups and downs under his belt. I think we'll see good things.

This was in no way a move made because of poor play from Osgood and Howard. Holland stated he likes his goalies "when healthy". This was all about having more depth (which is the main mantra of the Red Wings) and resting Howard for the playoffs.

Edited by CenterIce

If he was signed before December 15th, none of this would have mattered. Before that date, any player who played in Europe this year could have been signed without the waiver process.

100% incorrect. The December 15th date is only relevant to sending a player down to the AHL who comes over from Europe.

Not sure if this is possible, but i would easily be okay with giving up Drew Miller to get Nabby. But only Miller. No way I would be comfortable giving up anything more than that. Although It prolly doesnt matter anyways cause I remember reading that whoever claims him can't just trade him right away for whatever reason..

I hope this is sarcasm.

Maybe a three-team trade? Nabokov to team X for player Y to the Islanders, Miller from Detroit to team X for Nabokov.

This was in no way a move made because of poor play from Osgood and Howard. Holland stated he likes his goalies "when healthy". This was all about having more depth (which is the main mantra of the Red Wings) and resting Howard for the playoffs.

Of course he's not going to come out and say it, but I don't believe for a second he would've made this move if Howard was playing better. I think Howard's disenchanted response to questions on the matter says enough about that.

This thread is repeating too much. Nabokov has a no movement clause, and the waiver rule stipulates that in this case a player would have to be placed back on waivers for a trade to take place, repeating this whole process.

The good news is, we will most likely sign him in the offseason anyways. But still, it would've been great to have him this season. Especially with Osgood being hurt. I predict Nabby will get lit up nearly every game since the Islanders D is beyond atrocious. Then we'll get him for a decent price in the offseason.