• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

You really think that he and his agent thought he would clear waivers? You really think they're surprised? The possibility that something like this could happen didn't sneak up on them after they signed the deal. Come on...

Not saying that... I think the rule is stupid, regardless. I assumed he would be claimed myself.

Of course he's not going to come out and say it, but I don't believe for a second he would've made this move if Howard was playing better. I think Howard's disenchanted response to questions on the matter says enough about that.

I have never seen anything to think Holland lies in the media to cover a move. He may not say anything, so as to not reveal his cards, but he seems to be a very honest person in his comments.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Maybe a three-team trade? Nabokov to team X for player Y to the Islanders, Miller from Detroit to team X for Nabokov.

How many times do people need to explain there won't be a trade???????

In order for Nabby to be traded now, he would have to go through waivers again!!!

Nabokov CANNOT be traded.

The only chance the Wings have of getting him at this stage is if the Islanders waive him and every team that's lower in the standings passes on a waiver claim. Then Detroit can claim him.

Other than that, this ship has sailed.

I will bet my bottom dollar he doesn't report to the Islanders.

According to his agent, he wants exposure for next year. He says he will play for whoever picks him.

How many times do people need to explain there won't be a trade???????[/Quote]

I think it is a lost cause. I have repeated myself on about 4 different points, but when these threads get too big, no one wants to go back, even a few pages, and read anything. They just start from where they come in. They can't even check other websites.

According to his agent, he wants exposure for next year. He says he will play for whoever picks him.

Yea, but all 4 of the Islanders' fans really don't count as exposure. I promise you that this whole Wings signing/Waiver situation has gotten him 95% of the exposure hes likely to get this season now that hes an Islander.

Edited by Shaman464

Maybe a three-team trade? Nabokov to team X for player Y to the Islanders, Miller from Detroit to team X for Nabokov.

CBA rules prohibit the team that placed a succesful re-entry waiver claim to trade the player they obtained for upto one year.

Nabokov could only be traded to another team if he was placed on waivers again and nobody claimed him. The Islanders would also require his permission to be moved.

People are reading and exploring too much into this, he's not coming to Detroit.

Yea, but all 4 of the Islanders' fans really don't count as exposure.

Theres a difference between the No Movement Clause and the No Trade Clause, the No Movement Clause just states the player cannot be placed in the AHL.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Sharks just recalled J.P. Anderson from OHL. Guessing they were in on this too.

1. I think all the waiver s*** is retarded. He was a free agent at the end of last season. Why should he have to go through waivers. Dumb

Agree. We didn't try to hide him in europe, he was never ours. So why should we have to expose him to waivers? He was sitting in the KHL and no one wanted him.

esteef

Poor Nabokov :(. He wanted exposure, but now he's going to have terrible numbers on the season due to a s***ty Islanders team.

I got the flu and don't have the patience to look back a couple pages, did any other teams put in a claim?

I have never seen anything to think Holland lies in the media to cover a move. He may not say anything, so as to not reveal his cards, but he seems to be a very honest person in his comments.

Like earlier in the week when he said he would not be pursuing a new goalie?

Agree. We didn't try to hide him in europe, he was never ours. So why should we have to expose him to waivers? He was sitting in the KHL and no one wanted him.

esteef

No one wanted him for a large contract, but at 570,000, he is a bargain.

Like earlier in the week when he said he would not be pursuing a new goalie?

Haven't seen that, but I will take your word for it.

Effin Islanders! What exactly does picking up Nabokov do for them? They have no shot at a playoff spot, they're in a rebuilding phase, most of the team is young players. How does a 35 year old goalie playing for them for a couple months, help them? They should be getting DiPietro as much ice time as possible or seeing what they have in the minors. Nabokov should be going to a team heading for the playoffs and just need a veteran goalie to make a serious run. Him going to this disaster of a franchise is stupid.

Theres a difference between the No Movement Clause and the No Trade Clause, the No Movement Clause just states the player cannot be placed in the AHL.

Again, incorrect. Why do people keep posting on here like they are experts.

First and foremost, the contract type (1-way or 2-way) determines if a player can be sent to the AHL. Secondly a players experience also determines whether or not he can be sent to the AHL. Thirdly, the rules for players coming over from Europe dictate if a player can be sent to the AHL.

No movement clauses protect a player from being waived and being traded -genrelly requiring the player's permission. A no trade clause only protects a player from being traded but not waived.

You will find zero contracts written with no movement clauses when a player has AHL eligability (for conditioning purposes if a player is returning from an injury) because the player generally doesn't have that type of bargaining power yet.

They need a goalie for a while, and it only costs them $570,000. What doesn't make sense?

Cause they're getting him for 30ish games?

I don't see the point of a bottom feeder claiming a playoff goalie, on a one year contract. It's not going to do anything for them. The can't trade him, so they can't get anything out of him.

I mean, at this point in the season, it's a shame that a s***ty team would grab a good player like that. If they were a playoff contender, it'd still bother me, but not nearly as much. Hell, if it was a team that even had a CHANCE at the playoffs, and improving their goaltending would get them there, it would make sense.

The Islanders have just proven again that they are morons and are a joke in this league.

Effin Islanders! What exactly does picking up Nabokov do for them? They have no shot at a playoff spot, they're in a rebuilding phase, most of the team is young players. How does a 35 year old goalie playing for them for a couple months, help them? They should be getting DiPietro as much ice time as possible or seeing what they have in the minors. Nabokov should be going to a team heading for the playoffs and just need a veteran goalie to make a serious run. Him going to this disaster of a franchise is stupid.

DiPietro is always hurt. They goalie that they brought up after trading Rolloson was injured last night. Nabokov only costs 570,000.

More I think of this, the more I think it was shrewed by everyone involved. The Islanders do nothing more than try to boost ticket sales.

However, Holland knows that this will make all the players in the league notice how bad we want to win a cup and how much players are willing to sacrifice to come here.

It makes a powerful agent happy because he was the only GM willing to go through this waiver embarrassment to get Nabs a job.

It makes Howard notice that there is a ton more pressure on him and lets us see if he will respond.

It highlights what has happened to St. Louis with Svatos and creates a bit of good will with some of the GM's, while making some rivals scramble to figure out what to do in response.

I think they knew that, for all the effort of negotiating, they were not going to get him but the worst case scenario would be that they DID get him.

The only thing hurt in Detroit by this situation is our pride.

Holland doesn't seem to mind, and I bet money the players and fans do a bit. Maybe this is motivational psychology 901. PhD for Kenny.

Edited by Majsheppard