• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

In hindsight, what if Kenny made Nabby a 2 year offer (rest of this year and next) with No Movement Clause - since so many of you think that Holland will try to get him this summer. Wonder if a 2 year with NMC would have up the ante and made it a bit harder for other teams to claim him? I'm pretty sure NYI wouldn't have picked him up with DiPietro pegged as multi-million dollar starter. And ... since both Ozzie and Howard's contracts are up at the end of this year, we would have at least one goalie signed for 2011-12. Assuming Ozzie retires then, sign Jimmy and we'd have the best 1-2 punch in goalie. The only down side I can think of is if some team did claim him off waivers, he'd be unavailable this summer. What do you think ... did I out GM Kenny :P

Edited by RedWingsRox

Nabokov at 570,000 or Roloson at $2.5 million. ...but at that point of trading Rolly they were thinking that DiPietro/Lawson/Poulin would be adequate.

(Why they thought that was okay is beyond me, but not to the point.) Once Lawson went down with an injury it left DP and Poulin, and while Poulin played well... Snow actually wants him to get more AHL experience before he's up full time with the Isle.

Even if Nabokov plays out of his frigging mind for the Isle, and Detroit decides to sign him in the off-season, there's no way he's making close to what he used to. No way.

...and if he does, it certainly won't be in Detroit.

Note: I'm not convinced Detroit will try to sign him in the off-season, there will be other options available then. As Ken Holland said, it was a unique opportunity. Someone was going to take a shot at Nabby, so why not us. We didn't get him, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. It may have bought us some favor in the future with either the Islanders or with Nabokov's agent. Either way, we won't know until the trade deadline, but more than likely, the offseason.

The Islanders don't need a goalie to solve their problems...it goes much deeper than that.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I love Kenny Holland and all he has done.....

But this.......this is a head scratcher for sure.... :huh:

why? what did Ken lose in the deal? We could have gotten a great player for nothing.... NOTHING.

Guest Crymson

why? what did Ken lose in the deal? We could have gotten a great player for nothing.... NOTHING.

We also lost nothing, in the event. It didn't make anyone else of significance any stronger.

But this.......this is a head scratcher for sure.... :huh:

Not really. You got your hopes up way too high most likely. A unique opportunity to get a world class goalie at dirt cheap.... Who cares if we didn't???

He is paid a ton to be the GM of the greatest hockey franchise in the world. We can scratch our heads all we want but we move on.

The Islanders don't need a goalie to solve their problems...it goes much deeper than that.

I concur, and didn't say that this move would. ...but they do need a goalie.

...and Garth Snow likes goalies. Last year it was Biron, Roloson, and DiPietro.

Well nothing to lose, so I :clap: Kenny for trying.

My question is why Islanders why? Wouldn't adding Nabokov win you a few games you should lose, hurting your draft pick?

Oh well, at least he isn't going to the West.

My question is why Islanders why? Wouldn't adding Nabokov win you a few games you should lose, hurting your draft pick?

He is also to old to build around. Maybe they just want to give the kids some confidence with a few more wins, not sure.

That was my first reaction, but some Isles fans are making some sense. Roloson was a salary dump. Dipietro is made of glass, their one backup is apparenly barely minor-league caliber, and the kid they want to develop into a starter is just too green to throw into starting on this s***ty of a team right now.

At that price, Nabby makes sense. And honestly if it wasn't the Isles, it was going to be someone else.

As I said on hfboards, if you're pissed at the isles and you want to make yourself feel a little better, go look at their cap numbers, specifically under "buyout" and "dipietro." It's good for a chuckle.

So your sentence was suppose to say, "First and foremost, the contract type (1-way or 2-way) determines PAY if a player can be sent to the AHL." Yeah thats definitely a coherent sentence. LOL Just admit you got your facts wrong after you put down other posters that did the same thing.

Yes. Like Maltby's 2-way contract determined the amount of PAY if he could be sent down to Grand Rapids (he had to clear waivers first) and if he did clear waivers and was sent down, he would not have to be subjected to re-entry waivers if recalled.

Pierre LeBrun is also reporting that Nabby won't report to the Islanders. Put him back on waivers so we can have him!!!

He would have to go through all the teams again with who ever put in a claim the first time getting first shot.