• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

Well the purpose of the waiver rule though is to ensure that the weaker teams get a shot at players before the "rich". Its a good way to ensure parity throughout the league, which was one of the goals of the CBA several years ago. Football does the same thing, think back to Randy Moss this season. The issue here that's strange though, is Nabby was release from a different league, I dont see the reason there for him to have to clear waivers. That's the part that irritates me. The fact the waiver claim system exists, I'm fine with, but not in this situation.

That being said, this looks good on the Islanders. Morons.

The NFL allows more player discretion in waiver transactions, though. Doesn't it?

I'm cool with the waiver system for moving players between the NHL and AHL and whatnot, but this special rule for European players just doesn't make sense to me.

EDIT: At any rate, I think this was the Wings last-ditch effort to get a goalie for nothing. But it tipped their hand that the Wings are looking for a goalie. Trade upcoming this upcoming week, I'd bet money on it.

Edited by VM1138

Yah ... if Isle's Snow didn't pull this dick move, another team would so it was either them or the Sens or whoever ... let's hope they put him on waivers, next team ... 'I'm not reporting' ... next team ... 'I'm not reporting' ... and finally Wings ... "I'm reporting!' :P

That's about the size of it. As I'm reading 11.8, it says he can refuse their acceptance of his waiver. In theory, he could refuse everyone but Detroit, and should be able to do so. I'm saying that not just as a Wings fan, but because this situation makes no sense- he's a true free agent, why waivers?

Okay, don't say I'm never an optimist: if Nabs is put back on waivers, maybe him refusing to report to the Isles will discourage other teams from claiming him, knowing that there's a good chance he won't play for them, either. Of course, that wouldn't deter San Hose-a from claiming him and suspending him just to tick us off, but hey, it might make other teams who want him to play think twice. File this under: It Could Happen.

Okay, don't say I'm never an optimist: if Nabs is put back on waivers, maybe him refusing to report to the Isles will discourage other teams from claiming him, knowing that there's a good chance he won't play for them, either. Of course, that wouldn't deter San Hose-a from claiming him and suspending him just to tick us off, but hey, it might make other teams who want him to play think twice. File this under: It Could Happen.

If San Jose did that, they would be seen as the ultimate dick and cry-baby ... their reputation would go down the toilet for agents, players, and other GM's. McLellan won't screw his old employers like that but it isn't up to him. Wilson, you let him go so now let him sign with another team. Don't worry Sharks, you might not even make it to playoffs this year so you won't have to worry about facing us.

Lol, do you honestly think NY was the only team that put a claim in on him? I GUARANTEE you at least a dozen teams put claims in on him at the bargain basement price, of basically free. Wings had no chance, at least this season, of getting him.

I see what you mean I'm sure if the Isles didn't take him some other team would I just think that the other nhl teams knew Detroit put forth the effort to sign him and he wanted to come here obviously. Just the whole tactic of a team not letting Detroit get a player they wanted is dirty in my mind. This whole rule is just really messed up in my opnion let's just let the teams sign who they want without having to expose them to the rest of the nhl because as someone on here said it makes the player look bad to. I would have been fine not hearing about this at all and just let Detorit bring up MacDonald or whoever they wanted from GR when they want them. I don't think it's necessarly a good idea to take players away from GR especially the closer the playoffs get team chemistry may be affected. This whole thing is a big mess now. Hopefully everything pans out and the Wings are just fine no matter what happens but I think it was a good idea to sign an insurance goalie.

Okay, so he told the Islanders to take a hike...and now what happens is up in the air again.

This is the biggest soap opera since the Manny/Cujo/Hasek debacle.

Hopefully the NHL changes the rule to "Any player without a contract does not need to apss through a waiver. If the player is under contract to another team, he shall need to pass through waivers before going to the team that attempted to sign him"

If San Jose did that, they would be seen as the ultimate dick and cry-baby ... their reputation would go down the toilet for agents, players, and other GM's. McLellan won't screw his old employers like that but it isn't up to him. Wilson, you let him go so now let him sign with another team. Don't worry Sharks, you might not even make it to playoffs this year so you won't have to worry about facing us.

True, I certainly hope it wouldn't be worth it to them just to take a bit of an advantage away from us in the playoffs (if they do end up making them). And hey, that's one more team we know he DEFINITELY wouldn't report to, at least. I don't know why I'm so hopeful here, but my fingers are still crossed!

Garth Snow is not the type to simply dump Nabby back on waivers if he refuses to report. He's as combative a GM as he was a goaltender.

And Charles Wang IS the type who will be very, very offended if Nabokov refuses to report. He was outraged when Osgood turned down the Isles offer of a 4 year, $16M Contract extension in the summer of 2002. He took it as a personal insult that Oz didn't want to remain with his "family".

Look for veiled threats from Snow/Wang if Nabokov actually does refuse to report.

Just sayin'....

Garth Snow is not the type to simply dump Nabby back on waivers if he refuses to report. He's as combative a GM as he was a goaltender.

And Charles Wang IS the type who will be very, very offended if Nabokov refuses to report. He was outraged when Osgood turned down the Isles offer of a 4 year, $16M Contract extension in the summer of 2002. He took it as a personal insult that Oz didn't want to remain with his "family".

Look for veiled threats from Snow/Wang if Nabokov actually does refuse to report.

Just sayin'....

What's he going to do exactly, threaten to sign him to the Isles for 15 years?

What's he going to do exactly, threaten to sign him to the Isles for 15 years?

No. What he'll do is start making comments about how Nabokov knew that he'd have to pass through waivers before he could enter the NHL, and how he knew there was a chance that he'd be picked up.

He'll probably state that "them's the breaks", and that he's an Islander now, and he'll be expected to act in a professional manner, honor his existing Contract, and report to his new Team.

If he doesn't, he'll suffer the consequences.

I'm not saying it's "nice", or even the right thing to do.

But I'm betting it IS what Garth Snow WILL do.

**Edit to add:

I'm betting the Nabokov's agent will tell him to suck it up, and report. Play the 30something games remaining on the Contract, and earn a better Contract, with the Team of HIS choice, next summer.

Meehan's a pro. He knows how the game works. He's been around awhile.

Of course, that's just a guess. I don't know Meehan's tendencies.

I DO know Garth's, though.

Edited by Outsider

No. What he'll do is start making comments about how Nabokov knew that he'd have to pass through waivers before he could enter the NHL, and how he knew there was a chance that he'd be picked up.

He'll probably state that "them's the breaks", and that he's an Islander now, and he'll be expected to act in a professional manner, honor his existing Contract, and report to his new Team.

To which Nabby replies, "I never signed a contract with that bloated, horrible club. Why would I? Their GM blows worse than the team."

**Edit to add:

I'm betting the Nabokov's agent will tell him to suck it up, and report. Play the 30something games remaining on the Contract, and earn a better Contract, with the Team of HIS choice, next summer.

Meehan's a pro. He knows how the game works. He's been around awhile.

Of course, that's just a guess. I don't know Meehan's tendencies.

I DO know Garth's, though.

That is fine, im glad to see that the NYI still have the class to let another organization do there work for them :clap:

Everyone knew yesterday before he even signed that he'd have to clear waivers and it'd be virtually impossible for him to do so. All is well as well can be around here.

Then today, he is indeed claimed on waivers and everyone's pissed, shocked and offended.

Classic LGW reaction... :lol:

To which Nabby replies, "I never signed a contract with that bloated, horrible club. Why would I? Their GM blows worse than the team."

And he'd be effectively wrong.

Because the Contract he signed was a SPC, (Standard Player Contract). And when he he signed it, he put himself at the mercy of the CBA, which governs every single SPC in the League.

And according to the CBA, he's a New York Islander. As of today. It's not pretty, but it's the truth.

Ya know, when Ryan Smyth signed HIS SPC with the Edmonton Oilers, HE never signed a Contract with the "bloated, horrible" Isles, either. Why would he?

But he showed up, as he was expected to, in every possible way, and played out the Contract.

Difference, I guess, between a Player like Smyth, and a player like Nabokov.

Apparently there's a controversy with some Osgood comments on the situation now too.

This is what started it. (I posted it before, but I figure I'll just repost it.) Link.

Injured Chris Osgood on the NYI claiming Evgeni Nabokov away from Det: "...The Islanders are terrible so I'm not sure why they did that."

This was just posted elsewhere. Link.

Just got in touch with Chris Osgood, who is seething about being misquoted re: Islanders Nabokov situation. "Absolutely ridiculous," he said
Said he absolutely did not say that and is outraged since he always sticks up for Islanders and his good buddy Garth Snow when ppl rip org
Said he has already discussed situation with DET reporter, who apparently overheard someone else say it around scrum and attributed to him

And the soap opera continues.

That is fine, im glad to see that the NYI still have the class to let another organization do there work for them :clap:

There is absolutely no Class left in that Organization. I have no illusions about that. Every shred of Class fled, the day the criminal Charles Wang purchased the Team.

That doesn't change the fact that Nabokov is under Contract to the Islanders. Just as he'd be under Contract with any OTHER Team which put in a completely valid waiver claim, as per the current Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHLPA and the NHL.

Nabokov and his Agent both knew the risks when they signed with Detroit. Those are the facts.

Garth Snow is being a ******. There's no getting around that. A smart GM would have likely contacted the player/agent they were going to claim off of waivers prior to actually doing so.

Personally, I didn't expect Nabokov to make it through waivers, and I'm not shocked he didn't make it. I just think it's funny the Isles are all butthurt that a player that signed with another team doesn't want to play for a bottom feeder.

Garth Snow is being a ******. There's no getting around that. A smart GM would have likely contacted the player/agent they were going to claim off of waivers prior to actually doing so.

Personally, I didn't expect Nabokov to make it through waivers, and I'm not shocked he didn't make it. I just think it's funny the Isles are all butthurt that a player that signed with another team doesn't want to play for a bottom feeder.

Why would he do that when his agent came out yesterday and said that he would report to any team that claimed him??????????