• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

Why would he do that when his agent came out yesterday and said that he would report to any team that claimed him??????????

That's one of those "Oh crap, I didn't see that coming!" situations. I'm sure they figured the Islanders were already tanking the season to get another top pick, and wouldn't want to risk improving this season.

That's one of those "Oh crap, I didn't see that coming!" situations. I'm sure they figured the Islanders were already tanking the season to get another top pick, and wouldn't want to risk improving this season.

Didn't see it coming? The Islanders were one of the most obvious if not the most obvious team that would claim him. What do you think these guys get paid for, to be more ignorant of the situation than a bunch of fans on Twitter and a message board???

Didn't see it coming? The Islanders were one of the most obvious if not the most obvious team that would claim him. What do you think these guys get paid for, to be more ignorant of the situation than a bunch of fans on Twitter and a message board???

Apparently so, gcom.

I guess Nabokov and his Agent were completely unaware that the Isles were down to a goaltender who has spent the last 3 years on LTIR, and their FIFTH string goaltender, as their FOURTH stringer went down with an injury last night, just after the Nabokov news broke.

My goodness! Who in the WORLD could have guessed that the Isles might make a claim? Man, that came out of nowhere!

Edited by Outsider

Well, regardless, I don't blame Nabby for not reporting. I really hope you're right about Snow and Wang, and they totally destroy any goodwill they have with players wanting to go there.

Maybe Wang will have to follow through on his threats of moving the team.

It's not that the Islanders don't need a goaltender, it's the Islanders don't need Nabokov. It's clear what he was trying to do in accepting a low offer to a playoff bound team. A bottom feeder claiming him is total douchebaggery.

esteef

And he'd be effectively wrong.

Because the Contract he signed was a SPC, (Standard Player Contract). And when he he signed it, he put himself at the mercy of the CBA, which governs every single SPC in the League.

And according to the CBA, he's a New York Islander. As of today. It's not pretty, but it's the truth.

Ya know, when Ryan Smyth signed HIS SPC with the Edmonton Oilers, HE never signed a Contract with the "bloated, horrible" Isles, either. Why would he?

But he showed up, as he was expected to, in every possible way, and played out the Contract.

Difference, I guess, between a Player like Smyth, and a player like Nabokov.

So you are saying he signed a contract tendered to him by the Islanders? I understand the reality of the CBA, but that doesn't change the mere fact he never signed a deal to play for the lonely Isle. It's not pretty, but it's the truth.

But yes, the difference between Smyth and Nabakov is one is willing to stand up for his preferences as a human and a player, and the other cries when he leaves a team.

None of which changes the fact that the NY Islanders are, in fact, bloated and horrible. Sorry that bothers you. It should, really.

Also, you capitalize weird words. :)

Well, regardless, I don't blame Nabby for not reporting. I really hope you're right about Snow and Wang, and they totally destroy any goodwill they have with players wanting to go there.

You're not paying attention, drwscc:

Snow and Wang have ALREADY totally destroyed any and all goodwill they have with Players in the NHL. That's why they're forced to pluck players off waivers, and obtain them via terrible trades. It's also the reason that Garth Snow would have never THOUGHT to contact Nabokov or his Agent prior to putting in a Claim. Because he knew in advance what the answer would be.

And secondly:

The scumbag Wang is blowing hot air with his threats to "move" the Islanders. The only reason he purchased them in the first place was to get his greasy paws on the 150 acres of completely undeveloped land surrounding the NVMC, smack dab in the middle of one of the richest suburbs in the United States of America.

If he "moves" the Isles, he doesn't get the land anyway.

Apparently so, gcom.

I guess Nabokov and his Agent were completely unaware that the Isles were down to a goaltender who has spent the last 3 years on LTIR, and their FIFTH string goaltender, as their FOURTH stringer went down with an injury last night, just after the Nabokov news broke.

My goodness! Who in the WORLD could have guessed that the Isles might make a claim? Man, that came out of nowhere!

You're right about the Isles being an obvious team in the hunt for a goalie, but not Nabakov in particular.

Think about it closely, why do the Isles need Nabakov? (Again, not why do they need a goalie but why do they need that particular one) They're not on a playoff bubble needing that one last piece to give them a push. Their season is already over. Nabakov is not a long-term fix, he's basically a rental player for the rest of the season. He's not going to give them some hope for the future because it's not a multi-year contract and thanks to this, they have no chance of re-signing Nabakov next season. You only get a rental player if you're in the hunt for the playoffs or the Cup.

Sure, Nabakov was an easy choice because he's good and cheap but that doesn't change the fact that Snow is a ****** for picking him and screwing up his career path. They could have just as easily gotten a league minimum regular goalie to finish out the year. THere was absolutely no need to claim a guy who could've gone to a playoff team and resurrected his career except for two things:

1) Complete and total ignorance of the situation.

2) Vindictiveness.

Edited by VM1138

Guest stinky fish taco

You're not paying attention, drwscc:

Snow and Wang have ALREADY totally destroyed any and all goodwill they have with Players in the NHL. That's why they're forced to pluck players off waivers, and obtain them via terrible trades. It's also the reason that Garth Snow would have never THOUGHT to contact Nabokov or his Agent prior to putting in a Claim. Because he knew in advance what the answer would be.

And secondly:

The scumbag Wang is blowing hot air with his threats to "move" the Islanders. The only reason he purchased them in the first place was to get his greasy paws on the 150 acres of completely undeveloped land surrounding the NVMC, smack dab in the middle of one of the richest suburbs in the United States of America.

If he "moves" the Isles, he doesn't get the land anyway.

are you capable of making one post without multiple words capitalized/bolded/italicized?

talk about annoying.

I've heard Siberia has really good ice.

You're right about the Isles being an obvious team in the hunt for a goalie, but not Nabakov in particular.

Think about it closely, why do the Isles need Nabakov? (Again, not why do they need a goalie but why do they need that particular one) They're not on a playoff bubble needing that one last piece to give them a push. Their season is already over. Nabakov is not a long-term fix, he's basically a rental player for the rest of the season. He's not going to give them some hope for the future because it's not a multi-year contract and thanks to this, they have no chance of re-signing Nabakov next season. You only get a rental player if you're in the hunt for the playoffs or the Cup.

Sure, Nabakov was an easy choice because he's good and cheap but that doesn't change the fact that Snow is a ****** for picking him and screwing up his career path. They could have just as easily gotten a league minimum regular goalie to finish out the year. THere was absolutely no need to claim a guy who could've gone to a playoff team and resurrected his career except for two things:

2) Vindictiveness.

Because he's cheap, and they didn't even have to do any of the work.

But yes, the difference between Smyth and Nabakov is one is willing to stand up for his preferences as a human and a player, and the other cries when he leaves a team.

If that's the only difference you see between Nabby, and Smyth, then you haven't been watching a Class Organization like the Wings for nearly long enough.

As for the rest or your post:

Nabby gambled, knowing the odds, and lost. He's welching. Plain and simple. There's nothing upstanding about that. Nothing.

And:

Yes, it does bother me that the Isles are bloated and terrible. Just as I'm sure it bothered Wings fans during the Dead Things era.

Here's a question for you:

What if Stevie had refused to report? What if, when the Wings (a TERRIBLE Team), drafted such a fantastic prospect, he'd simply said: "I'm not playing for THEM. No freakin' way!"

Eric Lindros did it.

Now....

Take a look at how, and where, both Players began. And then take a closer look at how, and where, both Players ended up.

The Hockey Gods will not be mocked. And Karma is a *****. Every. Time.

are you capable of making one post without multiple words capitalized/bolded/italicized?

talk about annoying.

Do you have anything of substance to add, or are you simply going to criticize my style of writing?

There, is that better? Not one word capitalized/bolded/or italicized.

2) Vindictiveness.

Question for you, VM1138:

Name one NHL caliber goaltender who would willingly sign with the Islanders, for any price at all, let alone the bargain basement price for which they acquired Nabokov.

I'll wait right here while you compile that vast and distinguished list.

Once again:

He, and his Agent, both knew the risks. They gambled anyway, hoping against any reasonable hope, for the only outcome of 30 possible outcomes they wanted, to come to fruition.

Snake Eyes!

They lost.

Now Nabokov wants to welch. Plain and simple. He's no better than Snow, in this situation. He's got no moral high ground to stand on.

Guest stinky fish taco

nabokov did the right thing.

the isles are a joke of a franchise.

good for him.

If that's the only difference you see between Nabby, and Smyth, then you haven't been watching a Class Organization like the Wings for nearly long enough.

As for the rest or your post:

Nabby gambled, knowing the odds, and lost. He's welching. Plain and simple. There's nothing upstanding about that. Nothing.

And:

Yes, it does bother me that the Isles are bloated and terrible. Just as I'm sure it bothered Wings fans during the Dead Things era.

Here's a question for you:

What if Stevie had refused to report? What if, when the Wings (a TERRIBLE Team), drafted such a fantastic prospect, he'd simply said: "I'm not playing for THEM. No freakin' way!"

Eric Lindros did it.

Now....

Take a look at how, and where, both Players began. And then take a closer look at how, and where, both Players ended up.

The Hockey Gods will not be mocked. And Karma is a *****. Every. Time.

Well, it's the difference in the comparison *YOU* brought up, so…

Anyway, I am aware Nabby knew the odds, and I don't begrudge the Isles their change to snag him. But I can't blame a player who signed a deal with one team for a specific reason(s) who then got snatched into a completely different scenario which would not only hurt you (trying to showcase your skills) but the team (who would win more games and ruin their chances to get a stud next to Tavares… until they both go URA and leave the bloated, horrible Islanders.

So, are you comparing Nabby to Lindros? You don't see inherent differences between being an amateur players getting drafted, and being an established vet trying to get back into the league? But nice attempt to draw Yzerman into. That's the LGW equivalent of Godwinning a thread. :)

Name one NHL caliber goaltender who would willingly sign with the Islanders, for any price at all, let alone the bargain basement price for which they acquired Nabokov.

Explain how this matters to Nabokov in any freaking way?

What a lot of people are failing to realize, is the Nabby had that NMC put in for this exact reason. Shrewd move by his agent and Holland. The Islanders are just idiots in this whole ordeal because they knew he had that NMC anyways and they still claimed him off waivers. I know they have a couple injuries, I can see this biting them in the ass if they have any more injuries in the next 24 hours and can't recall anyone because Snow is an idiot.

You are absolutely right. Nabby did what the Wings did. Take a chance that he'd make it to a contender, and not a bottom feeder. It was a shot in the dark, and it failed.

However, I do agree with him that he should have some control over where he goes. Just because he played in Europe shouldn't force him to play for a team he never would have agreed to play for. The no movement clause he put in the contract makes it clear that that is important to him.

It's in the rules that it was very likely that Nabokov could be claimed by a team and he was. The New York Islanders did not dick around the Wings or Nabokov. They followed the rules. And let's be honest, if a player pulled this on the Wings, this board would be raking him over the coals.

It was pretty dumb of the Islanders to claim him even though the price was right. Knowing that Nabby wanted to go to a team that is at least in contention for a Playoff Spot and preferably a shot at the Cup. I hope he doesn't report to any team that he doesn't want to play for. If it takes to long to put him on a roster he can be happy with I'd say go back to the KHL and at least make some decent money and then try again in the off season to go to a NHL team. s***ty and Dumb of the Islanders if you ask me but since no one did I'm still putting my 2 Cents in.

Guest stinky fish taco

let's be honest, if a player pulled this on the Wings, this board would be raking him over the coals.

the wings and the islanders could not be more polar opposites as far as franchises go right now.

a player pulling this on the wings is not a realistic scenario.

i guess if we're trying to look at it from the other side: if we were isles fans, yes, we would be upset.

but c'mon...we all know isles fans no longer exist.

He's no better than Snow, in this situation. He's got no moral high ground to stand on.

That's basically it in a nutshell. Snow has his own agenda he's pertaining to at the moment. It's obvious by his actions today that he cares more about the team than the player (which can be debated as either a good or bad thing). On a personal level, man to man, he's a douchebag for it. But from an employer to employee standpoint, he was just grabbing the best goalie for the lowest price that he could.

Nabokov on the other hand isn't exactly acting like a stand-up gentleman in this either. I would think that if he wants to sign with another team next season, he would play out his contract with NYI for the exposure and then move on. I've read the counter-argument that Nabokov doesn't want to play for a terrible team and ruin his stats/reputation - but come on. Even us fans can tell when a goal is and isn't the goalie's fault. You don't think the GMs will too? Playing half of a season for the Islanders isn't going to prevent Nabokov from getting picked up next season if that's what he wants. But I can't say the same for him not reporting.

"You can't always get what you want."

Well, it's the difference in the comparison *YOU* brought up, so…

Anyway, I am aware Nabby knew the odds, and I don't begrudge the Isles their change to snag him. But I can't blame a player who signed a deal with one team for a specific reason(s) who then got snatched into a completely different scenario which would not only hurt you (trying to showcase your skills)

Didn't seem to hurt Roli too very much. Did it? But then, perhaps the 35 year old "esablished vet" Nabokov isn't confident that he can acquit himself quite as well with a terrible Team like the Isles, as a 41 year old Dwayne Rolloson managed to.

but the team (who would win more games and ruin their chances to get a stud next to Tavares… until they both go URA and leave the bloated, horrible Islanders.

Losing horribly, getting blown out every night because you're playing in front of an AHL 2nd or 3rd stringer, doesn't do much to build a strong Player. It's the reason the Pens started signing veteran Players shortly after Crosby was drafted. Because they realized that losing doesn't accomplish anything other creating an atmosphere of Losing. Pretty simple, really.

So, are you comparing Nabby to Lindros? You don't see inherent differences between being an amateur players getting drafted, and being an established vet trying to get back into the league? But nice attempt to draw Yzerman into. That's the LGW equivalent of Godwinning a thread. :)

Of course there are differences. But then, we're not talking about Nabokov being locked into a contract, with a terrible Team, for nine years - as Lindros believed he would have been. (RFA age was 27, at the time, and the Nordiques would have owned him until then, and Lindros would have had no recourse other than to retire), and a goaltender who was fired from his last job, was sitting home on the couch with no job at all, and is now being asked to play ~30 NHL games ONLY for said "horrible, bloated" Team.

So....yeah...

There are differences.

I've read the counter-argument that Nabokov doesn't want to play for a terrible team and ruin his stats/reputation - but come on. Even us fans can tell when a goal is and isn't the goalie's fault. You don't think the GMs will too? Playing half of a season for the Islanders isn't going to prevent Nabokov from getting picked up next season if that's what he wants. But I can't say the same for him not reporting.

Maybe, maybe not. He'll be what, 35 next year? People get shaky signing old goalies who were 3 GAA and a s***ty save % no matter if they played for a bloated, horrible team.

Didn't seem to hurt Roli too very much. Did it? But then, perhaps the 35 year old "esablished vet" Nabokov isn't confident that he can acquit himself quite as well with a terrible Team like the Isles, as a 41 year old Dwayne Rolloson managed to.

The situation between Roli and Nabby is no where near the same.

Losing horribly, getting blown out every night because you're playing in front of an AHL 2nd or 3rd stringer, doesn't do much to build a strong Player. It's the reason the Pens started signing veteran Players shortly after Crosby was drafted. Because they realized that losing doesn't accomplish anything other creating an atmosphere of Losing. Pretty simple, really.

If it's so simple, why aren't you an NHL GM? :)

Of course there are differences. But then, we're not talking about Nabokov being locked into a contract, with a terrible Team, for nine years - as Lindros believed he would have been. (RFA age was 27, at the time, and the Nordiques would have owned him until then, and Lindros would have had no recourse other than to retire), and a goaltender who was fired from his last job, was sitting home on the couch with no job at all, and is now being asked to play ~30 NHL games ONLY for said "horrible, bloated" Team.

So....yeah...

There are differences.

I know there are. That's why I didn't make the comparison, and laughed when you did. :D

Explain how this matters to Nabokov in any freaking way?

Go back and read the post I was responding to.

VM1138 puts forth that the Isles need "A" goaltender, not Nabokov. Why wouldn't they just go after any old goaltender. Why did they have to go after Nabokov?

Answer:

Name another NHL caliber goaltender who would willingly sign with the Isles, for any amount.

They got the only NHL caliber goaltender they were capable of getting. And they got him for peanuts.