• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

Go back and read the post I was responding to.

VM1138 puts forth that the Isles need "A" goaltender, not Nabokov. Why wouldn't they just go after any old goaltender. Why did they have to go after Nabokov?

Answer:

Name another NHL caliber goaltender who would willingly sign with the Isles, for any amount.

They got the only NHL caliber goaltender they were capable of getting. And they got him for peanuts.

You misunderstood. Why would the Isle's inability to attract a decent netminder matter to Nabby?

Hint: it doesn't.

Hint 2: it's why I can understand why he'd rather sit out than play for a bloated, horrible team. :)

That's basically it in a nutshell. Snow has his own agenda he's pertaining to at the moment. It's obvious by his actions today that he cares more about the team than the player (which can be debated as either a good or bad thing). On a personal level, man to man, he's a douchebag for it. But from an employer to employee standpoint, he was just grabbing the best goalie for the lowest price that he could.

Nabokov on the other hand isn't exactly acting like a stand-up gentleman in this either. I would think that if he wants to sign with another team next season, he would play out his contract with NYI for the exposure and then move on. I've read the counter-argument that Nabokov doesn't want to play for a terrible team and ruin his stats/reputation - but come on. Even us fans can tell when a goal is and isn't the goalie's fault. You don't think the GMs will too? Playing half of a season for the Islanders isn't going to prevent Nabokov from getting picked up next season if that's what he wants. But I can't say the same for him not reporting.

"You can't always get what you want."

Yeah, but it'd make it a heck of a lot easier for him if he were playing for a team who wasn't losing right and left. If he rolls the dice, maybe he won't make it to the Wings, but he might at least get claimed by a team who doesn't suck quite as bad. Still doesn't benefit us, but it'd give him a chance to show a little more of what he's got and maybe have a chance of making the playoffs instead of wasting his time (he is 35, after all, so time is of the essence) bottom-feeding with the Isles.

Still doesn't benefit us, but it'd give him a chance to show a little more of what he's got and maybe have a chance of making the playoffs instead of wasting his time (he is 35, after all, so time is of the essence) bottom-feeding with the Isles.

Doesn't matter. Eric Lindros could have been Steve Yzerman, and THEN you would have felt silly!

I know there are. That's why I didn't make the comparison, and laughed when you did. :D

I didn't compare Lindros to Nabokov. I compared Lindros to Yzerman.

I compared Nabokov to Smyth.

Pay attention.

the wings and the islanders could not be more polar opposites as far as franchises go right now.

a player pulling this on the wings is not a realistic scenario.

i guess if we're trying to look at it from the other side: if we were isles fans, yes, we would be upset.

but c'mon...we all know isles fans no longer exist.

Why does that matter, the rules are the rules, whether the team is good or bad.

Seems like a better use of Snow's time would be to try and improve things so that they can attract some free agents, rather than continually demonstrating that the Islanders are going to treat you like livestock if you sign there, and even if you don't.

Seems like a better use of Snow's time would be to try and improve things so that they can attract some free agents, rather than continually demonstrating that the Islanders are going to treat you like livestock if you sign there, and even if you don't.

That's a Valid Point.

It is not in Snow's interest to make things better on Long Island.

Wang's plan is to make them worse, and to keep blaming it on the "old arena", so that the fans scream bloody murder until the Town of Hempstead GIVES him the 150 acres of land he's been after from day one.

He has no interest in the Isles, nor the success of the Franchise, (yes, Capitalized), nor their fan base.

He will continue to sink the Isles until he gets the land, or loses too much money fighting to get the land.

It has always been about the land surrounding NVMC. That's what those outside of the loop just don't get.

That's a Valid Point.

It's only a valid point if you assume that the purpose is to build a stronger hockey team. That's not Wang's purpose.

Wang's purpose is to get the land. Period.

Pierre LeBrun on Hotstove just said he talked to Kenny and we're out of the Nabakov race. No one knows if he'll go to NYI or just continue to hold out.

Where. I was listening to it as well, and he didn't say that.

It's only a valid point if you assume that the purpose is to build a stronger hockey team. That's not Wang's purpose.

Can you provide evidence that the owner forced the GM's hand to take Nabby, or do you just like typing "Wang" a lot?

It is not in Snow's interest to make things better on Long Island.

Wang's plan is to make them worse, and to keep blaming it on the "old arena", so that the fans scream bloody murder until the Town of Hempstead GIVES him the 150 acres of land he's been after from day one.

He has no interest in the Isles, nor the success of the Franchise, (yes, Capitalized), nor their fan base.

He will continue to sink the Isles until he gets the land, or loses too much money fighting to get the land.

It has always been about the land surrounding NVMC. That's what those outside of the loop just don't get.

Doesn't Wang's master plan involve having apartment complexes within spitting distance of the new arena?

Where. I was listening to it as well, and he didn't say that.

? He said he talked to Kenny, and Kenny said rules are rules, it was a unique oppertunity worth trying for but he was claimed and there's nothing they can do. That was before the game against Chicago though, maybe his mind has changed since hearing Nabby wont report to the Isle? :ph34r:

Can you provide evidence that the owner forced the GM's hand to take Nabby, or do you just like typing "Wang" a lot?

Where did I state that Wang forced Snow to take Nabokov?

Please go back on your meds. Having a conversation with you is pointless. You're like a six year old.

Milbury just said he loves the waiver rule for players returning from europe. lol

His hatred of the Wings is so painfully transparent. :lol:

The rule itself only caused chaos and drama. Given that Nabby's apparently refused to report to the Islanders I really don't see how this was a good result for any of the parties involved.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Doesn't Wang's master plan involve having apartment complexes within spitting distance of the new arena?

Yes, an apartment complex. And luxury high-rise condos. And a luxury hotel. And a 60 story "needle" tower/sculpture monstrosity. And a shopping center. And a baseball field. And a "sports complex". And a business conference center. And a bunch of other s*** that the residents of the surrounding area want NO part of.

I'd understand a lot of these arguments better if Nabokov's contract didn't have the NMC...and if his agent didn't send a memo to every team stating he wanted to compete for the starters job...and said agent didn't rep about half the league. His agent said he'd play anywhere, with the premise that he'd be challenging for the starters job. Snow is an idiot because Nabokov doesn't have a chance to challenge for the starts job with the NYI.

Here is talk about the intent of snagging Nabby, which is about the GM, Garth Snow.

That's a Valid Point.

Here's me agreeing.

Here's you making it about Charles Wang, not Garth Snow for whatever random reason.

Here's me asking why you made it about Wang, as opposed to Garth Snow, as I had previously agreed.

Where did I state that Wang forced Snow to take Nabokov?

Here's you being oblivious. I deleted the sad, pathetic personal attack, as I figured it sucks being the Isles fan, why rub it in? :)

Yes, an apartment complex. And luxury high-rise condos. And a luxury hotel. And a 60 story "needle" tower/sculpture monstrosity. And a shopping center. And a baseball field. And a "sports complex". And a business conference center. And a bunch of other s*** that the residents of the surrounding area want NO part of.

Yeah. I remember looking at some of the contextual plans and wondering "why would you ever want to build this?"

Yeah. I remember looking at some of the contextual plans and wondering "why would you ever want to build this?"

Money. Scads and scads of money. Projected to be in the billions over the next 10 years.

It's the reason he bought the Team in the first place.

So if Nabokov doesn't report to the Islanders (or any player that gets claimed on re-entry) how does this rule favor in terms of marketing and income for the NHL?

A player going to the team that they initially signed with can potentially generate more income: increased ticket sales, merchandise, more sponsors (internationally), higher ratings. However the player's rights ends up going to a team they don't want to play for and chooses not to report...then everything stays as it is. The player is like "hell no I'm not going to play then," so instead of the NHL (and teams) potentially getting more money, there is then zero change of any increased revenue.

Does this just seem like a poor way to operate a business? (team balancing/fairness aside)