• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

Yes, an apartment complex. And luxury high-rise condos. And a luxury hotel. And a 60 story "needle" tower/sculpture monstrosity. And a shopping center. And a baseball field. And a "sports complex". And a business conference center. And a bunch of other s*** that the residents of the surrounding area want NO part of.

You sure they're not moving to San Diego? This sounds like the kind of sludge our City Council goes nuts for.

Here's a good explanation of what will happen if Nabokov doesn't report to the Islanders, courtesy of Bob McKenzie: http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=350647

Money. Scads and scads of money. Projected to be in the billions over the next 10 years.

It's the reason he bought the Team in the first place.

I don't see how putting residential space immediately adjacent to a public sports facility instead of retail space makes sense.

The entire plan is interesting, but doesn't seem bloody realistic whatsoever.

I don't see how putting residential space immediately adjacent to a public sports facility instead of retail space makes sense.

Not only is it unrealistic, it's an eyesore, and will be a nightmare for the people who live there.

Have you actually seen the area surrounding NVMC? It's a series of sleepy little villages and hamlets, where most of the street lights are still the old fashioned type that are strung up on wires/cables.

The tallest buildings in the area are church steeples for the most part, for God's sake.

The neighborhoods in the area are some of the most affluent in the United States. They have no interest in the urban sprawl Wang wants to bring to their lovely neighborhoods.

It's like living on a golf course. Of course, golf is a much quieter sport.

Wow..Nabby is gonna get hosed then. Yikes. I can see Snow petitioning for "tolling" the contract. If what Outsider says is true, and they don't care, that seems right up their alley. Wasting a roster spot 2 years in a row.

His hatred of the Wings is so painfully transparent. :lol:

The rule itself only caused chaos and drama. Given that Nabby's apparently refused to report to the Islanders I really don't see how this was a good result for any of the parties involved.

Exactly. The rule f***ed everyone. The signing team is pissed cause they didn't get their player, The player is pissed cause he's claimed by a bottom dweller, and the bottom dweller is pissed cause he shockingly doesn't want to report. It's a lose-lose-lose! Nice job NHL!

esteef

Wow..Nabby is gonna get hosed then. Yikes. I can see Snow petitioning for "tolling" the contract. If what Outsider says is true, and they don't care, that seems right up their alley. Wasting a roster spot 2 years in a row.

It's not gonna happen if the Islanders aren't going to trade/waive him, he's going to play instead of risking suspension or having this "tolling" thing done.

Where. I was listening to it as well, and he didn't say that.

He didn't say that *exactly*, he said he spoke with Ken Holland and that the team is moving forward under the assumption the Nabokov acquisition, as it pertains to the Wings acquiring him, is dead in the water. Who knows what happens with the reporting to the Islanders part. I read somewhere else that San Jose was one of the teams that also put in a claim, but I can't confirm that. It's highly likely that there are more teams that filed a claim on him outside of the Islanders and Detroit.

@JSportsnet "Just checked..Nabokov doesn't report and NYI suspend for remainder of season...NHL position would be that he owes team a full season."

http://twitter.com/#!/JSportsnet/status/29005142179184640

Wow. If that's true then it would appear that Nabokov had better report lest he be condemned to purgatory for another FULL year at $570,000 (if the Islanders opt to suspend him instead of waiving him again.)

Anyone want to still try and suggest that Howard's not skating on thin ice with the Wings?

"The Nabokov thing was an opportunity for us," Babcock said. "If it had happened, it would've helped our goaltending because we have no Ozzie. Also, it's a message to everybody — the league's in constant change. If someone can take your job, they take your job. When you're a goalie and you give up four and the other guy gives up one, you don't like that."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110122/OPINION03/101220402/Wojo--Red-Wings--Jimmy-Howard-must-weather-storm#ixzz1BpBUqOSY

As I've repeatedly said, this absolutely has at least something to do with Howard's play of late. It may not be the only reason, but it's no doubt part of the reason. They weren't too vocal about it before, but Babcock couldn't be more clear with the message he's sending in that quote.

That said, I repeat, I think it's very good that we didn't land Nabokov. Sure, Jimmy's struggled this year, but we know what he's capable of. This year will probably end up a wash for him, but it's experience, and even if he were to lose the starting role to Osgood, it'd be far more likely that the Wings would still sign him next year, and likely at a better price than we were expecting earlier this year. If he lost the job to an outsider, he's gone. I don't think either party would go above and beyond to make a deal happen.

But if he can hold it together well enough and doesn't chase starters money over the summer, I think he'd likely be a much better goalie in his 3rd season. He's learning a lot about the ups and downs of the NHL this year. He's got to be aware of the fact that he's got some glaring fundamental problems that he needs to improve upon, and after this year, he might be more likely to put in a hard summer working on them.

I really believe that we dodged a bullet by not getting Nabokov. He's not a long-term solution for this team, and our best chance at a long-term solution would most likely have been boxed out in the short run. It's just not worth it.

Edited by gcom007

He didn't say that *exactly*, he said he spoke with Ken Holland and that the team is moving forward under the assumption the Nabokov acquisition, as it pertains to the Wings acquiring him, is dead in the water. Who knows what happens with the reporting to the Islanders part. I read somewhere else that San Jose was one of the teams that also put in a claim, but I can't confirm that. It's highly likely that there are more teams that filed a claim on him outside of the Islanders and Detroit.

@JSportsnet "Just checked..Nabokov doesn't report and NYI suspend for remainder of season...NHL position would be that he owes team a full season."

I think Nabby's agent better rethink the "not showing up" deal. There is no way being stuck playing for the Islanders next year. Just bite the bullet for the next 3 months, till it's time to play golf. Hell, have the 2nd half of your life, and hose the Islanders out of a higher draft pick.

I think Nabby's agent better rethink the "not showing up" deal. There is no way being stuck playing for the Islanders next year. Just bite the bullet for the next 3 months, till it's time to play golf. Hell, have the 2nd half of your life, and hose the Islanders out of a higher draft pick.

Agreed. Nabokov will only be there for a few months, less if something can be worked out at the tradeline. And he should be able to get a lot of starts from the Islanders and get a better contract next year. Honestly, I think Meehan and Nabokov are just bluffing to see if Snow is willing to work something out with Detroit or another team. Nabokov will report in the end if nothing changes

I don't understand why he would owe the Isles to contract NEXT season. Everything I've read up to this point, meaning CBA stuff not just rumors, indicates that he would only sit out THIS season and then be clear next season. God, this is a cluster-you-know-what. The NHL CBA makes no sense whatsoever, not to mention the waiver rules really are unfair. I do feel bad for Nabakov. But he better report if they're going to own him until he shows up.

I just don't understand why they would agree to this, knowing this could happen? Honestly, aside from Snow, Nabakov's agent sounds like a moron. Agents are terrible these days, they're giving their players all sorts of bad advice.

Wow. If that's true then it would appear that Nabokov had better report lest he be condemned to purgatory for another FULL year at $570,000 (if the Islanders opt to suspend him instead of waiving him again.)

Now that is just stupid. It's one thing to suspend him so he doesn't play this year but to force him to play next year with NYI that's going overboard. Nabokov gambled (going to contender or bottom feeder) coming back to the NHL knowing that he would have to clear waivers and he could possibly play on any team and he lost that gamble. It' should be within the rights of the player to not show up and be suspended for the remainder of the regular season and be a UFA next year.

In a way I can see why the league would hold up his contract like that but it's just aggravating to see the NHL force players to a team like that. No good could come from that with a forced player in the locker room.

Hell he should of just skipped this NHL season all together and come back into the NHL next year no problems.

Edited by dragonballgtz

Because he's cheap, and they didn't even have to do any of the work.

You are absolutely right, but my point was that that mentality is what makes Snow a ******. People see that he simply followed the rules and don't seem to understand the OTHER implications. Basically, a good GM and decent human being would have thought A) This signing is NOT going to help us in the long run and B) This would be terrible for said player and will make me look like a jerk to other GMs and other players (forget about the fans) who understand the unspoken side of things. Essentially Snow made the Isles look like they have to kidnap and put a gun to a players head to make him play for them, showing absolutely no consideration for the unique situation or player's interest. Again, let me re-iterate that the Nabakov signing does not help the Isles one bit in the long run, and actually does more damage than good. Yet he hurt a player's career for his short-sightedness and is now being a dick about it.

Yeah, the Isles followed the rules, but we have to remember that even though it's a business, there are also unspoken gentlemen's agreements that rule the league, and screwing over a star player for extremely short-term (and minor) interests probably violates them.

If they suspend him, does he not still count towards the 23 man roster? If he does, you better release his ass or else his agent will cut all ties with your s***show of an organization.

I would imagine he would have to count against the roster, otherwise teams would just pick up players willy-nilly (yes, I just used that phrase) to screw other teams over.

However, since the NHL is screwed up beyond belief with their rules (and enforcement of rules) I bet there's some rule that says he wouldn't count.

Just shows the ignorance of the Islanders and this whole situation. I stick by my orginal complaint about this and that the rest of the NHL Teams should have allowed Nabokov to go to which team he agreed to a deal with. If someone wanted him they should have taken the intiative (sorry for the spelling) to sign him.

MacKenzie's latest explanation "What Happens Next on Long Island?" TSN Article ... there is a very small possibility:

1. NYI attempts to trade Nabby but first, he must be offered to any team that put in a claim yesterday.

2. No team who puts in a waiver claim yesterday wants him ... because of all this mess *cross fingers*.

3. Nabby can then be traded to Detroit ... what should we give them?

Edited by RedWingsRox

MacKenzie's latest explanation "What Happens Next on Long Island?" TSN Article ... there is a very small possibility:

1. NYI attempt to trade Nabby but first, he must be offered to any team that put in a claim yesterday.

2. No team who puts in a waiver claim yesterday wants him ... because of all this mess *cross fingers*.

3. Nabby can then be traded to Detroit ... what should we give them?

They can have our #61 pick for this coming year.