• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

I would imagine he would have to count against the roster, otherwise teams would just pick up players willy-nilly (yes, I just used that phrase) to screw other teams over.

However, since the NHL is screwed up beyond belief with their rules (and enforcement of rules) I bet there's some rule that says he wouldn't count.

Considering that a suspension also means no pay I think he wouldn't count.

Just shows the ignorance of the Islanders and this whole situation. I stick by my orginal complaint about this and that the rest of the NHL Teams should have allowed Nabokov to go to which team he agreed to a deal with. If someone wanted him they should have taken the initiative to sign him.

There is no ignorance on the Islanders part. They got him by the rules.

MacKenzie's latest explanation "What Happens Next on Long Island?" TSN Article ... there is a very small possibility:

1. NYI attempts to trade Nabby but first, he must be offered to any team that put in a claim yesterday.

2. No team who puts in a waiver claim yesterday wants him ... because of all this mess *cross fingers*.

3. Nabby can then be traded to Detroit ... what should we give them?

We won't trade anybody to get him even if it came to that IMO. The whole point of trying to get Nabokov was to get him without giving anything up.

Edited by dragonballgtz

You are absolutely right, but my point was that that mentality is what makes Snow a ******. People see that he simply followed the rules and don't seem to understand the OTHER implications. Basically, a good GM and decent human being would have thought A) This signing is NOT going to help us in the long run and B) This would be terrible for said player and will make me look like a jerk to other GMs and other players (forget about the fans) who understand the unspoken side of things. Essentially Snow made the Isles look like they have to kidnap and put a gun to a players head to make him play for them, showing absolutely no consideration for the unique situation or player's interest. Again, let me re-iterate that the Nabakov signing does not help the Isles one bit in the long run, and actually does more damage than good. Yet he hurt a player's career for his short-sightedness and is now being a dick about it.

Yeah, the Isles followed the rules, but we have to remember that even though it's a business, there are also unspoken gentlemen's agreements that rule the league, and screwing over a star player for extremely short-term (and minor) interests probably violates them.

Gotcha, agreed. And this post actually just made me figure out why Nabokov isn't reporting (at least not for the moment). I would say you can't blame the Isles for taking an opportunity when they see one - their goalie gets injured, and along comes a nice and cheap one ripe for the picking. Yeah, it's not exactly "nice" of them to claim him when Detroit did all the work, but life isn't fair. However, Nabokov refusing to report shows the true colors of the Islanders' management: a-holes with no consideration for the players. If this had gone off without a hitch for the Isles, nobody would've really given it that much thought, but now that Nabokov has raised hell about it, it's making the Islanders look really bad and will cause other potential players to think twice before signing there.

Now, will the management continue to act like dicks and either suspend him or toll him, or will they figure out that their reputation is on the line and try to work with him? That's the big question. If they threaten either of those things, I think Nabokov will suddenly change his mind and decide to play the rest of their 30 measly games, and then go on to a better team next year, which isn't so horrible. If they decide to try to save their reputation, he gets put out on the market again and waves bye-bye to the Isles. Nice. Unless he isn't just bluffing and keeps refusing to report, in which case he and/or his agent is a dumbass.

Gotcha, agreed. And this post actually just made me figure out why Nabokov isn't reporting (at least not for the moment). I would say you can't blame the Isles for taking an opportunity when they see one - their goalie gets injured, and along comes a nice and cheap one ripe for the picking. Yeah, it's not exactly "nice" of them to claim him when Detroit did all the work, but life isn't fair. However, Nabokov refusing to report shows the true colors of the Islanders' management: a-holes with no consideration for the players. If this had gone off without a hitch for the Isles, nobody would've really given it that much thought, but now that Nabokov has raised hell about it, it's making the Islanders look really bad and will cause other potential players to think twice before signing there.

Now, will the management continue to act like dicks and either suspend him or toll him, or will they figure out that their reputation is on the line and try to work with him? That's the big question. If they threaten either of those things, I think Nabokov will suddenly change his mind and decide to play the rest of their 30 measly games, and then go on to a better team next year, which isn't so horrible. If they decide to try to save their reputation, he gets put out on the market again and waves bye-bye to the Isles. Nice. Unless he isn't just bluffing and keeps refusing to report, in which case he and/or his agent is a dumbass.

I wonder what would happen if Nabakov decided to retire, since he is 35, the CBA says his salary counts against Islanders books. That would be a big FU to the Isles.

How does this show the true colors of the NYI management team? If anything it shows the true colors of Nabokov. Again he knew what could happen when he signed. Things didn't go according to plan and now he is the one bitching about how it came out and NYI are to blame? What a load of crap! If he didn't like the risks he shouldn't of signed a contract.

You are absolutely right, but my point was that that mentality is what makes Snow a ******. People see that he simply followed the rules and don't seem to understand the OTHER implications. Basically, a good GM and decent human being would have thought A) This signing is NOT going to help us in the long run and B) This would be terrible for said player and will make me look like a jerk to other GMs and other players (forget about the fans) who understand the unspoken side of things. Essentially Snow made the Isles look like they have to kidnap and put a gun to a players head to make him play for them, showing absolutely no consideration for the unique situation or player's interest. Again, let me re-iterate that the Nabakov signing does not help the Isles one bit in the long run, and actually does more damage than good. Yet he hurt a player's career for his short-sightedness and is now being a dick about it.

Yeah, the Isles followed the rules, but we have to remember that even though it's a business, there are also unspoken gentlemen's agreements that rule the league, and screwing over a star player for extremely short-term (and minor) interests probably violates them.

What unspoken side of things? If that was true St. Louis would've gotten their guys last year. Or whoever it was that lost the 2 players to waivers.

Edited by dragonballgtz

Trust me, i know the rule and I knew Wellwood started off in Europe. I never said anything about Canadian players. I said Canadian contracts. So no, i'm not wrong, brah.

I must be very confused then. By Canadian contract, what exactly are you talking about?

How does this show the true colors of the NYI management team? If anything it shows the true colors of Nabokov. Again he knew what could happen when he signed. Things didn't go according to plan and now he is the one bitching about how it came out and NYI are to blame? What a load of crap! If he didn't like the risks he shouldn't of signed a contract.

What unspoken side of things? If that was true St. Louis would've gotten their guys last year. Or whoever it was that lost the 2 players to waivers.

Okay, maybe a bad choice of words, but what I mean is that it's causing the Isles to look bad from the players' perspectives. Sure, as a player, you expect things to happen to you that are best for your team but are not necessarily what you want (getting traded, benched, etc.). However, I think Nabokov's bluffing forces the Islanders into territory that I would call unreasonable by threatening their player with suspension or tolling in order to make him play. Now, you can say that Nabokov is being a prima donna by not agreeing to play for the Isles, and that's a fair opinion to have, but it's also a pretty shrewd move by him, and here's why. I'm guessing that most players are going to take his side since he's a fellow player and all, and my prediction is that this is going to make them more cautious about signing with a team who has to threaten its players to play. In order to stop everybody from thinking they're unreasonable, I think the Isles will have to be a little accommodating to what Nabokov wants to do. So whether the Isles are right or wrong in this situation, the players' general view on how they're treating Nabokov is going to be pretty negative unless they give in and work with him a little.

No matter the outcome it makes both Nabokov and the Islanders look like d-bags. Either side of the fence both lose face. Nabokov is an ahole for going to the KHL in the first place for money and the Islanders suck. Noone wants to play for them, there is a reason for that.

@JSportsnet "Just checked..Nabokov doesn't report and NYI suspend for remainder of season...NHL position would be that he owes team a full season."

http://twitter.com/#!/JSportsnet/status/29005142179184640

Wow. If that's true then it would appear that Nabokov had better report lest he be condemned to purgatory for another FULL year at $570,000 (if the Islanders opt to suspend him instead of waiving him again.)

I guarantee this does not happen. The NHLPA would battle that day and night. Absolutely no presedance for it whatsoever... no talk of this when Selanne and Niedermayer were refusing to show up for Anaheim.

Nabokov did not sign contract with NYI. He signed with Red Wings. This situation is very different from the case when a player signs a contract and then decides to hold out.

Why should Nabokov feel obligated to play for Islanders?

I am puzzled why NYI claimed him? They could have guessed that he would not report.

I wasn't saying that players don't get claimed. I'm saying players of Nabakov's caliber and his unique circumstances should be allowed to get picked up by a quality team. Again, he adds nothing to the Isles, who won't be able to keep him past this year and won't make playoffs or make any kind of noise, it'll be hard for Nabakov to showcase his skills and thus make it harder for him to sign a good contract next year. Therefore, the Isles just basically screwed Nabakov and any team near the playoffs that could've benefited from having Nabakov for what? Two or three extra wins that won't matter? I hope Snow enjoys those few extra wins, because they're going to cost him dearly.

EDIT: And for those who think Nabakov is being a ****** bag, remember, he has NO obligation to the Isles. Sure, they claimed him, but honestly, it could be career suicide to go there. If you think about that, it takes on a whole new level. Plus, I bet he doesn't cause a ruckus if a team closer to the playoffs claimed him. But it's the freaking Islanders, even Osgood said they suck.

Edited by VM1138

Okay, maybe a bad choice of words, but what I mean is that it's causing the Isles to look bad from the players' perspectives. Sure, as a player, you expect things to happen to you that are best for your team but are not necessarily what you want (getting traded, benched, etc.). However, I think Nabokov's bluffing forces the Islanders into territory that I would call unreasonable by threatening their player with suspension or tolling in order to make him play. Now, you can say that Nabokov is being a prima donna by not agreeing to play for the Isles, and that's a fair opinion to have, but it's also a pretty shrewd move by him, and here's why. I'm guessing that most players are going to take his side since he's a fellow player and all, and my prediction is that this is going to make them more cautious about signing with a team who has to threaten its players to play. In order to stop everybody from thinking they're unreasonable, I think the Isles will have to be a little accommodating to what Nabokov wants to do. So whether the Isles are right or wrong in this situation, the players' general view on how they're treating Nabokov is going to be pretty negative unless they give in and work with him a little.

It is not unreasonable. He just didn't like how everything played out and is mad about it.

If anything this will only make players that are in Europe more cautious in coming over during the mid season. They will see how any contract they sign is an open contract for any team to grab them. For whatever reason they leave a European league in mid season just wait until the next NHL to come back. That way they have more control on which team they will play for.

I guarantee this does not happen. The NHLPA would battle that day and night. Absolutely no presedance for it whatsoever... no talk of this when Selanne and Niedermayer were refusing to show up for Anaheim.

I thought the whole point of them sitting out was to get cap relief? A loophole sort of thing.

Nabokov did not sign contract with NYI. He signed with Red Wings. This situation is very different from the case when a player signs a contract and then decides to hold out.

Why should Nabokov feel obligated to play for Islanders?

I am puzzled why NYI claimed him? They could have guessed that he would not report.

In a way sure but he knew the rules. When he signed the contract is was basically a open contract that had Nabokov's name on it with a blank space where an NHL team name should be at. I have no doubt my mind that Holland told Nabby the risks of this contract signing.

Edited by dragonballgtz

I wasn't saying that players don't get claimed. I'm saying players of Nabakov's caliber and his unique circumstances should be allowed to get picked up by a quality team. Again, he adds nothing to the Isles, who won't be able to keep him past this year and won't make playoffs or make any kind of noise, it'll be hard for Nabakov to showcase his skills and thus make it harder for him to sign a good contract next year. Therefore, the Isles just basically screwed Nabakov and any team near the playoffs that could've benefited from having Nabakov for what? Two or three extra wins that won't matter? I hope Snow enjoys those few extra wins, because they're going to cost him dearly.

EDIT: And for those who think Nabakov is being a ****** bag, remember, he has NO obligation to the Isles. Sure, they claimed him, but honestly, it could be career suicide to go there. If you think about that, it takes on a whole new level. Plus, I bet he doesn't cause a ruckus if a team closer to the playoffs claimed him. But it's the freaking Islanders, even Osgood said they suck.

EDIT2: What I think is really funny is that as of earlier today, Nabakov hadn't even returned Snow's calls. And he also had a pretty ominous-sounding comment to make to the agent, Meehan. “Every thing is on the up-and-up,” Snow said. “I am waiting to speak to the player, but we have spoken to his agent Don Meehan and, as a veteran in this business, he knows what is to come next.”

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=550290

Long Island sounds delightful, doesn't it? Very friendly place.

A player's caliber should not and should never have any bearing on any rule. That's like giving Crosby extra treatment or saying if Crosby gets hit the player giving the hit should get an automatic penalty.

You don't know what an extra win can do for the young guys confidence that are currently with the Islanders. Hell it might get them going for all we know (which is highly unlikely).

According to the NHL he now has an obligation to show up and be part of the NYI team with the contract he signed knowing what could happen.

Edited by dragonballgtz

In a way sure but he knew the rules. When he signed the contract is was basically a open contract that had Nabokov's name on it with a blank space where an NHL team name should be at. It would not doubt my mind that Holland told Nabby the risks of this contract signing.

I am sure he knew and understood the risks. But Nabokov is not losing anything by not reporting. He is back to the position he was before he signed with Wings, not playing and not getting paid. He should have enough money to last until a job, which he find acceptable appears.

Each side is acting within its rights. Islanders are free to claim him and Nabokov is free not to play for them.

I am sure he knew and understood the risks. But Nabokov is not losing anything by not reporting. He is back to the position he was before he signed with Wings, not playing and not getting paid. He should have enough money to last until a job, which he find acceptable appears.

Each side is acting within its rights. Islanders are free to claim him and Nabokov is free not to play for them.

Unless the Isles go the route the Sens went with Yashin a few years back and ask the NHL to force Nabokov to honour the contract, either this year or next year.

However now the NHL is saying if he does not report and the NYI choose to suspend him he has to fulfill the contract next full NHL season. It is better for him to show up and deal with it than to gamble again and play what could seem like forever for him next year. He is not getting any younger as well.

I am sure Nabokov regrets signing the contract now. Let's hope he doesn't blame Holland for talking him down to such a low price and being a one year deal.

EDIT: Multiple edits

Edited by dragonballgtz

A player's caliber should not and should never have any bearing on any rule. That's like giving Crosby extra treatment or saying if Crosby gets hit the player giving the hit should get an automatic penalty.

You don't know what an extra win can do for the young guys confidence that are currently with the Islanders. Hell it might get them going for all we know (which is highly unlikely).

According to the NHL he now has an obligation to show up and be part of the NYI team with the contract he signed knowing what could happen.

Where the player is in his career is significant. Rookie hoping for a long and successful NHL career has a different set of options compared to a veteran player who is few years removed from retirement (and did not waste all the money he earned). Veteran player can afford to play because he wants to not because he has to. It appears that Nabokov does not want to play for Islanders and they do not have the leverage to make him. Why would they want disgruntled employee anyway?

Maybe he will just show up and be a locker room cancer, and totally destroy anything the Isles have going in that department. He can play to the best of his ability, but still be passive aggressive, and cause issues.

That's my biggest question about Snow playing hardball. Do you really want someone working for you that has no desire to be there, and has been forced into it?

Where the player is in his career is significant. Rookie hoping for a long and successful NHL career has a different set of options compared to a veteran player who is few years removed from retirement (and did not waste all the money he earned). Veteran player can afford to play because he wants to not because he has to. It appears that Nabokov does not want to play for Islanders and they do not have the leverage to make him. Why would they want disgruntled employee anyway?

It's not significant. The rules don't change because of the career status of the player and they don't change because people are choosing to look at this through red and white colored glasses. The Islanders have the leverage, Nabokov is, by rules, a New York Islander. He plays or he is suspended and at this stage of his career, a suspension would be a career killer. He would be an idiot not to report.

Then he shouldn't of priced himself out of the NHL. If he wanted to stay in the NHL from the get go he knew that GMs didn't want to pay him what he was asking for and he didn't want to drop his price tag. So what happens he goes over to Russia doesn't want to play there any more because of family issues (that's fine family is important). But now he has to clear waivers and is not in 100% control of his team selection, tough! If it was so important for him to win the Cup he would of taken less money to stay in the NHL with a contender

Edited by dragonballgtz

However now the NHL is saying if he does not report and the NYI choose to suspend him he has to fulfill the contract next full NHL season. It is better for him to show up and deal with it than to gamble again and play what could seem like forever for him next year. He is not getting any younger as well.

As far as I can tell this has been listed as one of the possible outcomes by people reporting on the story, not the certainty. If that turns out to be the case then Nabokov got some bad advise regarding how CBA works.