• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

Well, if they're going to try to force him to play a full season, he should just go, play the 30ish games and not even try. Make it PAINFULLY obvious to everyone that he does NOT want to be there.

Eventually Snow and the rest of the management would get sick of him playing like s*** and waive him.

So then, he shows up and goaltends like swiss cheese til they sit him or waive him. Causing locker room problems, and bad mouthing the league, no rule against getting suspended. This is all really petty because he should treat it as a long AHL conditioning stint and just get the contract he wants next year.

The NHL tipped their hands if thats the case, because there is nothing in the rules that says he has to play "well".

Well, if they're going to try to force him to play a full season, he should just go, play the 30ish games and not even try. Make it PAINFULLY obvious to everyone that he does NOT want to be there.

Eventually Snow and the rest of the management would get sick of him playing like s*** and waive him.

That would be almost worse for his career then taking a suspension. A 35 year old goalie who has already sat out for a bit after a short time in the KHL, he gets in the NHL and then plays like crap. He might as well put the nail in the coffin.

It's not significant. The rules don't change because of the career status of the player and they don't change because people are choosing to look at this through red and white colored glasses. The Islanders have the leverage, Nabokov is, by rules, a New York Islander. He plays or he is suspended and at this stage of his career, a suspension would be a career killer. He would be an idiot not to report.

I am not saying that the rules change. I am saying that Nabokov can afford to give a finger to Islanders but a rookie player cannot do that. Nabokov played 10 seasons in NHL. I would guess that his character traits are well known by now. I do not think that being suspended by Islanders affects his chances of being signed next year. He wanted too much money this year and no team could accommodate him. But next season if he agrees to play for 2 mil I would guess he would find a team to play for.

That would be almost worse for his career then taking a suspension. A 35 year old goalie who has already sat out for a bit after a short time in the KHL, he gets in the NHL and then plays like crap. He might as well put the nail in the coffin.

Was that Hollands true motivation behind this signing? To kill his career, some sort of payback for knocking us out of the playoffs. :ph34r:

This is hilarious - it's like Holland just threw a wrench into the the system as a big F-you to the NHL, as he just created a situation which is going to be a huge headache for them to clear up and address in the future. Literally no one knows their head from their ass in this case.

[eating popcorn]

I am not saying that the rules change. I am saying that Nabokov can afford to give a finger to Islanders but a rookie player cannot do that. Nabokov played 10 seasons in NHL. I would guess that his character traits are well known by now. I do not think that being suspended by Islanders affects his chances of being signed next year. He wanted too much money this year and no team could accommodate him. But next season if he agrees to play for 2 mil I would guess he would find a team to play for.

At this point in his career, he really can't afford to not report. If he was in his prime or a hot-shot up-and-comer, he could. He already priced himself out of the market last summer and he's going to have to take even less this summer if all he has on his resume in the past season is a short, iffy stint in the KHL. He can get some good playing time with the Islanders and get himself moved near the deadline or get a decent contract as a FA

At this point in his career, he really can't afford to not report. If he was in his prime or a hot-shot up-and-comer, he could. He already priced himself out of the market last summer and he's going to have to take even less this summer if all he has on his resume in the past season is a short, iffy stint in the KHL. He can get some good playing time with the Islanders and get himself moved near the deadline or get a decent contract as a FA

Sure he can. It is only a job. He should be financially secure by now. If things does not go his way Nabokov can just retire and start a vineyard of something.

This is hilarious - it's like Holland just threw a wrench into the the system as a big F-you to the NHL, as he just created a situation which is going to be a huge headache for them to clear up and address in the future. Literally no one knows their head from their ass in this case.

First, Holland does the long term Z deals and exposed the loophole. Now Holland shows NHL how screwed the waiver system is and will get it re-written. Kenny sets the pace ;)

A few things can happen here:

1. Nabokov eventually reports to the islanders and plays.

2. Nabokov refuses to report

a. islanders suspend him for the remainder of the season - no play no pay. season over - end of story.

i. HOWEVER - if he refuses to play this year - islanders can appeal to the NHL that Nabokov "honor" this contract for next year and he would not be a FA this offseason.

b. islanders waive him

i. IF other teams put in a claim on Friday - the lowest team that put a claim in gets him.

ii. IF NO other teams put in a claim on Friday - he goes back on waivers and the bids start all over again - preference for lower standing teams.

Though. NYI could play hardball and drag this out - he could still end up in Detroit. If NYI puts him through waivers, then he'd have to pull this same story with the other teams that made a claim - until he reaches us. It's possible that NYI waives him, and other teams don't wanna deal with the drama, and he comes here.

high hopes...high hopes...

Does no one else find Snow's actions slimy? Out of sheer respect between the GMs, i think no one should have signed him, which I was falsely hoping would be the case. I mean, Holland gets in contact with a player, does the negotiating, and gets him, basically doing all the dirty work. Yet Snow comes along and with one click of a button (or however the hell you claim a waiver), esentially steals our player and gets rewarded for Holland's work. Then the guy talks about "bringing him into our great organization which is on the up-and-up and he'll fall in love with". First off, love......Isles? Up and up? Who the hell are you trying to kid. Do you believe people don't pay attention to standings or organization management? My god, its not a secret that the Isles are one if the worst run teams in the league. I mean, he doesnt need to paint a deathly picture of the Isles to tbe press, but try to be at least a TAD down to earth and get your head out of your ass. Second, will he fall in love before or after the tearing down of half the city to meet Wang's needs (hehe)? Third, you ****** you, you didn't "bring" him into the organization. You were given a late Christmas gift, in no part thanks to your efforts as GM for the worst run organization in the league.

Did get two drunk chicks to make out though...

I started to read this thread at the beginning, but gave up and figured just fast forward to the end...

The waiver system is very flawed. As some have pointed out, this puts a nice big spotlight on it and hopefully some positive change will come of it. Ideally, yes, Kenny did all the legwork, but he obviously knew there was no way in hell Nabby was getting past the bottom feeders, especially at that contract. What are Holland's true intentions? Nobody but Wings management knows for sure.

As far as Nabby not reporting, and the NHL apparently threatening that he would have to play the entire next full season with the Islanders, I'm glad Nabby told the Isles to f*** off. If they REQUIRE him to play, as many have said is possible, just stand there in goal. Don't even try. Hell, standing behind the net would be even better. Nabby's not a potential hall-of-famer, so what if his stats suck for a bit, it will only last a VERY short time. It may be insubordination, but he's already said he WILL NOT REPORT. The NHL will only look ******* TERRIBLE, as will the Isles.

Snow is a terrible GM for a terrible organization icing a terrible team. I am still of the opinion they should be required to put DiPietro in net for all 82 games even if he's injured as punishment for his ludicrous contract. Wang can go suck, well... a wang. The Isles should just fold already.

I'm gonna try to make this the last thing I post on this subject and it relates to the person saying that if Nabokov didn't reprot to Detroit we'd want his head on a platter or whatever. First I don't see Detroit doing that to another team call me bias but I can't see Ken Holland doing something like that. Secondly and this may be the weaker argument but I also can't see to many players not wanting to come to Detorit so I don't think not reporting would even be a thought but I could be wrong once again chalk it up to me being a Wings Fan. Nabokov want's to be in Detroit no offense to the Islanders but they are in a rebuilding stage right now and for a goalie like Nabokov I can't see where he would have a good place with the organzation anyways. Suspending him would be stupid becasue then no on gets him and it's a waste. Granted the Islanders played by the rules to get Nabbs but it is an underminded way to get him. What type of publicity is the NHL getting on this situation?... I would assume negative this hurts the league and the teams that are involved and it story like this don't reach out to other fans so it's not like it's doing this league any good. This is one of the many rules I personally think need to be changed along but now its not the time or place to start discussing a bunch of rule changes. Sorry for rambling and going on so but this has now turned into somewhat of a ticking time bomb that really doesn't favor anyone involved. We fans are getting into with each other and other teams fans mostly NY Islanders and I would proabably assume that Holland has been on the phone trying to figure out all of this and what Detroit's next step is. Do the Wings wait and see if this all pans out and there is a slim possibility we get Nabokov or do they right away start looking else-where?? Is Detroit fine with what goalies we do have or not? So really this what started out to be a glimmer of hope to help the Detorit Red Wings out with all the injuries has now become a sea of negativity for everyone involved. They days to come should be very interesting.

honestly, even after the slow season this year, a player i've always wanted on the wings is Anton Volchenkov. I got excited thinking that maybe the rumor of the devils helping us get nabokov meant there could be a trade with him in a package deal for Volchenkov, since the goaltending situation in new jersey has been so iffy this year.

I've heard a commentator on Hockey Night in Canada say that all the GM's secretly is thanking Garth Snow for taking one more weapon away from the Detroit Red Wings ... so which is it? Do all the other GM's think he is a dick or a hero?

Guest Crymson

honestly, even after the slow season this year, a player i've always wanted on the wings is Anton Volchenkov. I got excited thinking that maybe the rumor of the devils helping us get nabokov meant there could be a trade with him in a package deal for Volchenkov, since the goaltending situation in new jersey has been so iffy this year.

Then you weren't looking at his contract status. We'd be on the books for him for the next five years at more than $4m per year. The guy is a good defensive defenseman, and nobody else in the league can block shots as well as he can, but he's slow and he doesn't have a whiff of offensive ability.

Wow, great analogy, it's perfect (and obscure enough for most people, I bet). Nabakov's basically saying "I'll be damned if I let the Isles leech off of me."

too bad "Atlas Shrugged' was written by Ayn Rand, instead of Nabokov (as in Vladimir - not Evgeni) :cool:

Here is how I see all of this.

Nabokov is within his rights as a HUMAN BEING to not report. He will suffer the consequences but I'm sure he knows exactly what it all entails.

Giving too much power to an organization over a person is unethical and just plain wrong. Should he go in? I think so, that way he can evaluate where he thinks, he and them are at. "Can I help this organization right now? Do I like these players and personnel?" It would give the feel of college recruiting, but seems fair to me.

Now do I think he can help them? Of course, but not in the long term and not this year. Nabokov wanted to play for a cup, he should have a choice to do so. Will he get that chance? Probably not. The way that the NYI's do things, and they're past dealings shows that they probably aren't going to play 'puck' with him or his agent.

So here we are with an unwilling player and an organization that needs him for the short term. Problems abound, but the best thing they can do is have a meeting and discuss what both parties are looking for in the situation. NY needs help in the net, and Nabokov wants to play for a contender. Evaluate the current NHL outlook, make some calls and find out what can be done. If all works out, he could be put on waivers 'clear' and be traded giving NY something out of this.

Will this happen? NO. C'mon you can't think that he'll clear on a second try? We're looking at an unwinnable scenario. He won't report, they'll have to suspend him. They can try to get him to 'honor' next year, but the NHLPA is going to have a few words on that. UNETHICAL is the biggest one. He won't play today if this happens, hell, he won't play this season. Instead he'll hit FA next year and end up somewhere else.

Case closed. If he wants to play somewhere else, this is what will happen. If he reconsiders, then we'll see where it all goes.

I wouldn't play for them either. I would suit up and the first time the puck comes near me I would allow it to go in. Does this make him look like a ******? Maybe.

But someone has to take a stand for these crappy rules. Rosa Parks did it, along with everyone who has ever defied the status quot. I would never ask anything else of someone, nor should you.

Garth Snow is not the type to simply dump Nabby back on waivers if he refuses to report. He's as combative a GM as he was a goaltender.

And Charles Wang IS the type who will be very, very offended if Nabokov refuses to report. He was outraged when Osgood turned down the Isles offer of a 4 year, $16M Contract extension in the summer of 2002. He took it as a personal insult that Oz didn't want to remain with his "family".

Look for veiled threats from Snow/Wang if Nabokov actually does refuse to report.

Just sayin'....

Oz was offered $4 million a season and did'nt take it??? Man, the Isles organization must really be s*** to play for. hahahaa

I read this earlier, and more or less, it sums up how I feel. The Isles took Nabokov for no other reason than to stick it to the other teams in the league, so they couldn't get him.

While I think that the NHL's process is awfully archaic and if I ran a team that was actually in the Western Conference playoff hunt I'd think awfully long and hard about grabbing him, it's unseemly for the Islanders to do so, given that they aren't even close to the playoff race and that he doesn't want to be there. I don't think that any team that's actually competitive (even an Eastern Conference team) owes it to the Red Wings to let them make a move that they feel improves their goaltending, but when a team that's been completely out of it (the Islanders are so bad that they're the only team within five points of the Oilers over the past five years) does so, it just seems sort of petty and vindictive.

I'm hard pressed to explain exactly why I think that this is so wrong but I think it comes down to this: the Islanders are basically a pretend NHL team at this point. They're spending considerably less than the salary cap this year - they make the cap because of bonus payments and what not - and aren't in any way serious about winning. If Nashville or Chicago had done it and told Khabby to stay home and that he'd still get his cheques, I'd have no objections - they're trying to win something and are under no obligation to let Detroit improve itself though.The Islanders though…this is like a drunk fan interfering in play. Abysmal.

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=3564

I've heard a commentator on Hockey Night in Canada say that all the GM's secretly is thanking Garth Snow for taking one more weapon away from the Detroit Red Wings ... so which is it? Do all the other GM's think he is a dick or a hero?

I mean part of me wants to say that it's a great sports move and it's for the better of their teams. On the other hand, I hate the fact that all the GM's know the Wings are a force to be reckoned with and even injured, the Wings can still hang at the top of the conference.

What's gonna happen when we get Healthy and Jimmy gets his head out of his ass?? Yeah....I'm thinking we should take over the world!!