• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

Sucks we did'nt get Nabby. That waiver rule really needs to be changed. Oh well, we had him signed, and now, majically, hes an Islander. Knew he would get clamed..but NYI?? f***kkk. I don't blame Nabby for not reporting.

So where to go from here? Is Kenny still looking to pick up a goalie, or did he just try to pull this off because it was a cheap deal? Next week or so could be interesting.

I have a feeling that as much attention as this has gotten the owners will sit down and demand some kind of change to this senseless waiver rule and at the very lest simplify it so that it doesn't take a group of lawyers to figure it out.

If it's true or even possibly true that the NHL will go after Nabokov for his refusal to play for the Islanders, THEY should be taken to court. Snow and the other Isles' slimers picked up Nabby for WHAT reasons? Were any of them legit when you look at the whole picture? HELL no. No matter how you look at it, their actions are way beyond suspect and should also be investigated. As 80% of you have said here, this whole thing sucks Big Time. :angry:

If it's true or even possibly true that the NHL will go after Nabokov for his refusal to play for the Islanders, THEY should be taken to court. Snow and the other Isles' slimers picked up Nabby for WHAT reasons? Were any of them legit when you look at the whole picture? HELL no. No matter how you look at it, their actions are way beyond suspect and should also be investigated. As 80% of you have said here, this whole thing sucks Big Time. :angry:

Doesn't matter. Snow & the Isles were and are perfectly within their rights to claim the player off waivers.

Nabokov is NOT within his rights to refuse to honour a contract he signed.

The NHL has precedent to force Nabokov to honour his contract, or at least refuse to allow him to become a free agent in July. See Senators vs. Yashin.

Wow, there a lot of people who do not understand that is is perfectly within the rules to pick up a player on waivers.

I don't think that's the issue here. It seems to me most of the people posting understand that the Islanders had every right to pick him up if they wanted him. They just don't understand why they would.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Wow, there a lot of people who do not understand that is is perfectly within the rules to pick up a player on waivers.

It's not that people have a problem with waivers. People have a problem with a free agent having to pass through them.

Doesn't matter. Snow & the Isles were and are perfectly within their rights to claim the player off waivers.

The NHL has precedent to force Nabokov to honour his contract, or at least refuse to allow him to become a free agent in July. See Senators vs. Yashin.

He did not sign a contract with the Islanders. His contract is with the Detroit Red Wings.

It's not that people have a problem with waivers. People have a problem with a free agent having to pass through them.

It's designed to keep teams from hiding players in other (lesser) professional leagues during the season, only to bring them in at the end.

It's also to keep unrestricted free agents from using other professional leagues as a bargaining chip.

I agree, it's not perfect, but I understand why it's there.

If the problem is with the rule, there's no point in everybody villifying the Islanders for daring to legally pick up a player the Red Wings wanted on waivers. The rule could possibly use some adjustments, but it is the rule and it is there for a good reason.

He did not sign a contract with the Islanders. His contract is with the Detroit Red Wings.

His contract is now held by the New York Islanders, which is a scenario that Nabokov knew he was getting into by leaving Russia and coming back to the NHL.

It's designed to keep teams from hiding players in other (lesser) professional leagues during the season, only to bring them in at the end.

It's also to keep unrestricted free agents from using other professional leagues as a bargaining chip.

I agree, it's not perfect, but I understand why it's there.

Exactly how does the "hiding players" bit come into play with Nabokov? He's never played for Detroit, and was under no professional contract.

Guest Heaten

You're misunderstanding. It's not against the rules for Nabokov to refuse to report. He has just as much right as the Islanders in this series of events... nobody broke any 'rules'.

Nabokov has the choice, within the rules, to not report. He has chosen to exercise his right. Now the ball is in Islanders court. They have the right to suspend him without pay, waive him, or 'toll' him. There's absolutely no chance the NHL will allow a player to be tolled in this situation. None.

You're misunderstanding. It's not against the rules for Nabokov to refuse to report. He has just as much right as the Islanders in this series of events... nobody broke any 'rules'.

Nabokov has the choice, within the rules, to not report. He has chosen to exercise his right. Now the ball is in Islanders court. They have the right to suspend him without pay, waive him, or 'toll' him. There's absolutely no chance the NHL will allow a player to be tolled in this situation. None.

It is against the rules, that's why he'd be suspended without pay. The issue is whether the NHL would force him to honour his contract, either this year or next year or whenever. The precedent is there (Yashin, Radulov).

I think it's a very real possibility that the NHL would toll the contract because I doubt they want to create an environment where it's okay for players to walk away from their contracts. I don't think they want guys sitting out (especially impending UFA's) if they are claimed on waivers or traded to teams they don't particularly want to play for.

The Islanders are looking like fools, of course Nabokov wouldn't want to play for them, and now Garth Snow is acting like he's the victim, the "good guy". The whole thing is ridiculous. Nabby doesn't want to play for the Islanders, Snow knew this, so they shouldn't of claimed him.

Guest CaliWingsNut

It is against the rules, that's why he'd be suspended without pay. The issue is whether the NHL would force him to honour his contract, either this year or next year or whenever. The precedent is there (Yashin, Radulov).

I think it's a very real possibility that the NHL would toll the contract because I doubt they want to create an environment where it's okay for players to walk away from their contracts. I don't think they want guys sitting out (especially impending UFA's) if they are claimed on waivers or traded to teams they don't particularly want to play for.

This rule is just horribly broken.

The only teams that will ever bother to sign a player stuck in a position like this are ones who can afford the chance of losing them (like the wings).

Meanwhile, the Islander's got the Wings to sign a good free agent goaltender (who the rule wasn't designed for) to a small short salary cap friendly contract for them. Wings did all the negotiation work, while the islanders reaped all the benefit.

The Islanders are looking like fools, of course Nabokov wouldn't want to play for them, and now Garth Snow is acting like he's the victim, the "good guy". The whole thing is ridiculous. Nabby doesn't want to play for the Islanders, Snow knew this, so they shouldn't of claimed him.

I understand that, but at the same time, unless Nabby has a terrible agent and doesn't understand the waiver rules himself, he had to know it would be a very real possibility he would get picked up by a bottom feeder like the Isles.

I understand that, but at the same time, unless Nabby has a terrible agent and doesn't understand the waiver rules himself, he had to know it would be a very real possibility he would get picked up by a bottom feeder like the Isles.

Meehan had been making calls since mid December when Nabby got released, so he must have known. It was publicly known and printed in the press that he would have to clear waivers. My guess is that he only recently discovered the loophole that actually allowed him to sign a contract before he went on the wire. If anything he clearly did a poor job in managing his client's expectations.

Edited by kook_10

Meehan had been making calls since mid December when Nabby got released, so he must have known. It was publicly known and printed in the press that he would have to clear waivers. My guess is that he only recently discovered the loophole that actually allowed him to sign a contract before he went on the wire. If anything he clearly did a poor job in managing his client's expectations.

Loophole? What loophole?

The contract had to be in place for him to be placed on waivers. A player can't be on waivers as a free agent.

Guest Heaten

You have an opinion, that's fine. But it's not against the rules, and Nabokov is exercising his rights. He may look like a ******, but it's his right. Comparing this situation to Yashin or Radulov is another misconception on your part. This is not a 3 year- or 12 year contract. He didn't play a year for Isles and say screw you and run to the KHL for a payout. He signed a 1-year deal with Detroit (to play 4 months) for 8 times under his market value. No way will NHL hold him obligated to that contract next season. I understand your stance, and, again, I respect your opinion... but you need to look at the big picture, not just the surface of what you interpret to being correct.

You have an opinion, that's fine. But it's not against the rules, and Nabokov is exercising his rights. He may look like a ******, but it's his right. Comparing this situation to Yashin or Radulov is another misconception on your part. This is not a 3 year- or 12 year contract. He didn't play a year for Isles and say screw you and run to the KHL for a payout. He signed a 1-year deal with Detroit (to play 4 months) for 8 times under his market value. No way will NHL hold him obligated to that contract next season. I understand your stance, and, again, I respect your opinion... but you need to look at the big picture, not just the surface of what you interpret to being correct.

Unfortunately, I think this will come down to what the NHL's lawyers feel is being set here as far as a precedent goes.