• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

Except.....any player that has played a game in a league outside of the NHL, after the NHL season started, then gets claimed on waivers, HAVE TO be put on waivers again to be traded, for the rest of the season, no exceptions.period.

This has nothing to do with trading the newly signed player from the KHL I'm thinking you're misunderstanding my post....

Lets say:

- Dallas wants a top 6 forward

- Devils wants a goalie

- Dallas gets creative and said they'll sign Nabokov for $500k and Devils can claim him off waivers + picks in exchange for Parise

- Devils (in the Eastern Conf) accepts because the salary dump makes sense

- Devils get's fist shot to acquire Nabokov and claim him.

- Dallas sends crappy picks over to Devils for Parise

But why doesn't Devils just sign Nabokov and cut out the middle man? Because they get last chance to get him if they sign him first. He has to clear 29 other teams in the NHL. If Dallas does the dirty work, Devils get first shot.

Hope this makes sense

Edited by Heaten

This has nothing to do with trading the newly signed player from the KHL I'm thinking you're misunderstanding my post....

Lets say:

- Dallas wants a top 6 forward

- Devils wants a goalie

- Dallas gets creative and said they'll sign Nabokov for $500k and Devils can claim him off waivers + picks in exchange for Parise

- Devils (in the Eastern Conf) accepts because the salary dump makes sense

- Devils get's fist shot to acquire Nabokov and claim him.

- Dallas sends crappy picks over to Devils for Parise

But why doesn't Devils just sign Nabokov and cut out the middle man? Because they get last chance to get him if they sign him first. He has to clear 29 other teams in the NHL. If Dallas does the dirty work, Devils get first shot.

Hope this makes sense

Lol, ok, what your describing is silly though, in that, if it was the offseason the said goalie doesn't go on waivers. He only has to go on waivers if he started the NHL season on a different league. In the offseason, you could just straight out trade the two players

Guest Heaten

Lol, ok, what your describing is silly though, in that, if it was the offseason the said goalie doesn't go on waivers. He only has to go on waivers if he started the NHL season on a different league. In the offseason, you could just straight out trade the two players

I'm not talking about the offseason. I accidentally quoted you, that's probably why we are talking about two different things.

I'm not talking about the offseason. I accidentally quoted you, that's probably why we are talking about two different things.

What you have said then is correct then, in theory the last place team would recieve a benefit from this sign-and-trade, and it would be CBA legal.

I assume the goalie is in on this, and then I would think the league would still look at this as a possible circumvention, a problem that this metaphorical NJ team knows well.

All in all, unless the goalie was blindsided by the move this isn't even a big deal, as any team could then make offers(if this is legal)and outbid each other until it ends up being a last round draft pick, traded to the 2nd worst team with an agreement to trade it back when the 2nd worst team needs a KHL player and the last place team can sign the guy for them.......

See how silly it gets?

Edit: Hope I finally understand what your getting at.

Edited by Wingzman91

Nabokov: Isle Stay Home - NYPost:

"...It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And I hope they understand that."

Well, the Islanders don't. Not even in the slightest.

"Why wouldn't he show up? I'm still expecting him," Islanders owner Charles Wang said of Nabokov in a rare press conference yesterday afternoon before the Isles' 5-3 loss to the Sabres at Nassau Coliseum. "Flights are booked. If you go into the locker room, the locker stall is prepared, his uniform is prepared. If you look at the notes for [yesterday's] game, his name is on it."

Now, if he sticks with his decision to not report to the Islanders, he will be forced to sit out the remainder of the NHL season.

"Here is somebody the Islanders want that wants to play [and] has a contract with the NHL," Wang said. "So, we're waiting for him and looking forward to having him."

Over the previous two days, both Wang and Islanders general manager Garth Snow have said they left messages for Nabokov. According to what the goalie said to ESPN.com, those messages never were received.

"He may have tried to reach me but there's no message from him," Nabokov said of Snow. "I still haven't talked to him."

Snow said yesterday that everything was "status quo," meaning he is still expecting Nabokov to show up. Nabokov's agent, Don Meehan, was unavailable for comment last night.

"I dont see why somebody who has this opportunity would not want to play and fulfill his contract," Wang said. "It's nuts, right? I don't understand any of it."

Hmm, lets see... Maybe it's because you're the...

ISLANDERS!!!!! : DDD

correct. nabby didnt want to play for the islanders, he wanted to play for detroit. Period.

however, you have to understand that the islanders cant really come out and say "yeah, we know he wanted to go to detroit but we picked him up. Jokes on him."

Simpsons-Nelson-haha.jpg

Edited by nate94gt

I'm pretty sure NHL trade regulations prohibit 'other considerations' from being a factor in trades. So what you're talking about would be technically against the rules. It's not so much a loophole as it is collusion.

If someone were to try this, the league would most likely reject the trade, then investigate and punish the teams involved.

"It's nuts, right? I don't understand any of it."

Sounds like someone is completely clueless on how the world works. This is laughable, and I was absolutely correct. Regardless of what 'some' people said and made fun of me over. He doesn't want to play for the crap team. He even stated that he wasn't sure how to help them.

For all of you people who say that he has no 'rights' in the matter. You have issues. He wanted to play for a contender and a crap team took him. He's older now and doesn't want to wait to win. If you wanted the same thing, would you say, "I have no right I will suck for now."

I'm sure you would not.

Is their GM an idiot?

He wanted to play for Detroit, but they picked him up anyway, and he's surprised and "doesn't understand" why he doesn't want to play for the Isles? Seriously? <_<

Edited by wingsgirl001

Except, that's not what he was saying.

Let me use an example here.

The season ends, and Brodeur retires. Looks like NJ's situation just got worse. They don't have another goalie to come in and take his load. So, they go and talk with Detroit's management. Detroit then signs KHL goalie for 2m. He goes on waivers, NJ claims him. They then trade Detroit David Clarkson (example, and a player I love) for Detroit's 5th round pick in 2015.

Basically, it works out that Detroit gets David Clarkson for the pick and the goalie, who they went through the work of the contract with.

Season's over, no more waivers.

so... what is the deal on Nabokov? If he doesn't report to NYI will he get waived again?? This probably puts a chill on teams like Ottawa from considering a claim. I've also got to believe Kenny knew/discussed this would happen with Nabby if a bottom-feeder put in a waiver claim.

so... what is the deal on Nabokov? If he doesn't report to NYI will he get waived again?? This probably puts a chill on teams like Ottawa from considering a claim. I've also got to believe Kenny knew/discussed this would happen with Nabby if a bottom-feeder put in a waiver claim.

It sure sounds like the Islanders are going to retain his rights...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-islanders-nabokov

New York owns Nabokov’s rights, and could keep him out of the NHL for all of next season should Nabokov not report.

“I’m not going to speculate,” Snow said. “I’m looking forward to having him in an Islanders uniform. We can cross those bridges when we get there. I’m not there yet.”

That's a pretty dick move to claim a player that never wanted to sign with you in the first place and then not give him a chance to go elsewhere... can't look good to other players for management to operate that way... If Snow was smart(to save face and maybe get something out of the deal), he would try and trade him and if Nabokov gets claimed via waivers again, so be it - he was a "free" asset in the first place, that has no intention of playing for them anyway... and at least this way, he's not the bad guy anymore... this would also force Nabby's hand to report to wherever else he got claimed by, unless he wants to get a bad tag and would likely keep bottom feeders from making a claim the second time around...

I stand my Nabokov's orginal decision not to go to the Islanders I think it was stpuid to claim him even if it was within the rules of the NHL and players Contracts and rights. What are the Islanders trying to do here. No offense to Nabokov but if the Islanders are looking to rebuild and I think they are in a rebuilding stage if they want to do that and they want to rebuild around a goalie Nabokov is not the type of goalie that NY should be trying to build around. Like he said he's at a point in his career where he wants to help a team win in the playoffs. I don't see him with the Islanders having a true true shot at a Stanley Cup for another coupl years or so. I could be wrong it may be sooner but the Islanders have a lot more work to do to be contenders. Since all this has statred I'm fine now with Detroit having our GR goalies back up Jimmy if that is what Detroit wants. I think it would be a good idea to have an insurance goalie but if the Wings think they can do fine as is than so be it or if they want to try something with a different goalie than fine. I just hope the Wings can continue to be contenders.

I don't think there's going to be a season anytime soon where the Wings won't be contenders, but I do think that despite Nabby's playoff history, he would have definitely been a real help in the goaltending department for us. I knew it was more or less a pipe dream that he'd pass through waivers (which is a process I don't agree with at all...there really should be some way that teams could circumvent that BS), but the idea definitely sounded cool. He'd be like this era's Hasek.

I don't think there's going to be a season anytime soon where the Wings won't be contenders, but I do think that despite Nabby's playoff history, he would have definitely been a real help in the goaltending department for us. I knew it was more or less a pipe dream that he'd pass through waivers (which is a process I don't agree with at all...there really should be some way that teams could circumvent that BS), but the idea definitely sounded cool. He'd be like this era's Hasek.

Nabby's playoff history(and Kipper's as well) I think can be attributed to poor goaltending management over the course of a season... you can't expect a guy to start 65+ games a season and be fresh come playoffs...

As for Hasek, it's an apples to oranges scenariom because he was a proven playoff performer and short of one of the most questionable goal calls in NHL history, already should have had a cup when he came here...

Can Nabakov report for the last game of the season to avoid suspension next year? Didn't Kirk Muller refuse to turn up when he was traded to the Isles back in the day?

In theory, he could report near seasons end, but I'm pretty sure that the deadline for that is closer to early March, than the end of the season... doesn't it have something to do with dates that the final payment of contracts are made or something - anyone with more concrete insight and maybe a source on this to confirm?

Nabokov's stats in regular season and playoffs are about the same (GAA and Save %). He might not have stolen any playoff games for Sharks, but did he have some really bad games and caused them to lose? I do not follow Sharks that much to remember.

How about instead of throwing out ludicrous ideas, scenarios, and possible outcomes, we all sit back and wait and see what happens. It is clear Nabby doesn't want to be with the Islanders. We all get that. By the end of this week, I can almost promise you that there will be some clearer direction in this whole thing. Until then, everyone should just take a chill pill, unwad their panties, and just wait. That's all we can do and that's what we are going to have 2 do regardless of throwing out scenarios that are obscure and ridiculous.

Besides, it's Kenny Holland, I'm 99.99% sure he has all this s*** figured out already.

I stand my Nabokov's orginal decision not to go to the Islanders I think it was stpuid to claim him even if it was within the rules of the NHL and players Contracts and rights. What are the Islanders trying to do here. No offense to Nabokov but if the Islanders are looking to rebuild and I think they are in a rebuilding stage if they want to do that and they want to rebuild around a goalie Nabokov is not the type of goalie that NY should be trying to build around.

They're not trying to build around him. They're trying to build around DiPietro.

However, saying that it was stupid of them to claim a high end goaltender at a $570k cap hit is ignorant. Worst case scenario is that nothing changes. Best case is that Nabokov comes in and kicks ass for them. So now, Nabokov is suspended and unless he suits up for the Isles, he'll be Islanders property for that rate next season. But if he still doesn't want to play for them? They now have a tradeable asset with very nice value. Any playoff-caliber teams looking for a goaltender like Nabokov? The Isles could get a decent return for him if he doesn't want to stick around.

Nabokov: Isle Stay Home - NYPost:

"...It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And I hope they understand that."

Well, the Islanders don't. Not even in the slightest.

"Why wouldn't he show up? I'm still expecting him," Islanders owner Charles Wang said of Nabokov in a rare press conference yesterday afternoon before the Isles' 5-3 loss to the Sabres at Nassau Coliseum. "Flights are booked. If you go into the locker room, the locker stall is prepared, his uniform is prepared. If you look at the notes for [yesterday's] game, his name is on it."

Now, if he sticks with his decision to not report to the Islanders, he will be forced to sit out the remainder of the NHL season.

"Here is somebody the Islanders want that wants to play [and] has a contract with the NHL," Wang said. "So, we're waiting for him and looking forward to having him."

Over the previous two days, both Wang and Islanders general manager Garth Snow have said they left messages for Nabokov. According to what the goalie said to ESPN.com, those messages never were received.

"He may have tried to reach me but there's no message from him," Nabokov said of Snow. "I still haven't talked to him."

Snow said yesterday that everything was "status quo," meaning he is still expecting Nabokov to show up. Nabokov's agent, Don Meehan, was unavailable for comment last night.

"I dont see why somebody who has this opportunity would not want to play and fulfill his contract," Wang said. "It's nuts, right? I don't understand any of it."

Wang is even dumber than I thought.

Wang is even dumber than I thought.

He can't be serious. Why wouldn't he show up?

We don't all agree with Nabokov's decision on this board, but we understand what he's saying at least.

Edited by Selliria