• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

I'm pretty sure NHL trade regulations prohibit 'other considerations' from being a factor in trades. So what you're talking about would be technically against the rules. It's not so much a loophole as it is collusion.

If someone were to try this, the league would most likely reject the trade, then investigate and punish the teams involved.

why would it be collusion? teams dump salary all the time. A low seeded team claims Nabokov off waivers, then at the trade deadline the decide to dump salary. Just because they claim Nabokov off waivers from Detroit doesn't mean they can ever trade with them again does it? Team wants to dump salary and Detroit just happens to be in the market for a top 6 forward (at a cheap cost.) Other teams may think its a little fishy, especially if they offer "MORE" for that player, but teams do it all the time with division rivals. They'll ask for the world from a division rival and take much less from an out of conference team...

It keeps "Team A" from signing a player that has made money in another league, then comes to NHL to make more, while a team gets a expensive player at a bargain rate to circumvent the CBA.

inreality though, it also circimvents a UFA's abiltity to sign where he wants. Lets say 34 year old European player Hok Ptew is playing in Finland, he hires a North American agent and becomes a UFA in the NHL, he only negtiates with ONE team, and signs there, if he's any good, he'll never play there. That is not an UNRESTRICTED Free Agent. That is what the NHLPA fought for... It's ok for the league to control where a player goes, but the UFA cannot control his own destiny. UFA means UFA. It's big government in sports...

inreality though, it also circimvents a UFA's abiltity to sign where he wants. Lets say 34 year old European player Hok Ptew is playing in Finland, he hires a North American agent and becomes a UFA in the NHL, he only negtiates with ONE team, and signs there, if he's any good, he'll never play there. That is not an UNRESTRICTED Free Agent. That is what the NHLPA fought for... It's ok for the league to control where a player goes, but the UFA cannot control his own destiny. UFA means UFA. It's big government in sports...

Or he could have signed with a team in the offseason or not signed in the KHL and been able to completely control his destination.

quote from ottawa GM, a GM who respects the players

On the subject of goaltending, he said putting in a waiver claim for 35-year-old Evgeni Nabokov wasn’t the right thing to do because it was clear that Nabokov only wanted to play for a contender.

I think in regards to this Nabokov/Wang/Snow ordeal. This is the most attention the islanders have had all season :lol:

You're from long island, what's the talk on sports radio out there over this? Anybody give a damn? What is the fans opinion?

You're from long island, what's the talk on sports radio out there over this? Anybody give a damn? What is the fans opinion?

well for what it's worth (and that's not much) The islander fans (all 3 of them) on HF boards are lighting him up, saying they hope he never plays again.

On the subject of goaltending, he said putting in a waiver claim for 35-year-old Evgeni Nabokov wasn’t the right thing to do because it was clear that Nabokov only wanted to play for a contender.

If it was "clear" as he says, why would Meehan say that Nabby would play for whomever claimed him? Did they just assume that only playoff expectant teams would scoop him up?

Agents don't always represent the sentiments of those they represent, see Antti Niemi.

But surely people here can see how this can send mixed messages to ANY team that's considering claiming him. Is it possible that Snow heard that statement, saw how depleted the Isles' goaltender situation was, and then plucked Nabby up? I mean, the goalie they were depending on got injured the night before.

I just don't understand why Snow has to be the villain in this case. Nabokov knew the risks when he signed the contract with Detroit. He knew how the waiver system worked. He lost. I don't see why people are rallying around him. He didn't get what he wanted so he's refusing to report. Even if you think Snow was being a dbag, not reporting doesn't say a whole lot for Nabby.

I understand that it must be deflating to think you're going to the Wings and wind up on the Islander's roster. But that's the rules and that's the risk he took. That's nobody's fault but his own.

Edited by Selliria

I'm a trifle disappointed that only one person knew the reference for my "going Galt" analogy.

Well haven't read it yet. Hmmm not sure if he is going Galt on principal in this? Is he motivated by money (doesn't look like it) or some capitalistic right to sign with the team he desires - and will take banishment for a year to prove his point? interesting

Complete waste anyhow - why would anyone fly across continents to play for the lowely Isles for a few months - what was that pathetic franchise thinking claiming him? that he'd be happy to come? If Niedermeyer can sit out the season sans injury then waltz back in for the POs, I don't see why others cannot. Rules need to evolve....

I understand that it must be deflating to think you're going to the Wings and wind up on the Islander's roster. But that's the rules and that's the risk he took. That's nobody's fault but his own.

Brightside = The Devils didn't want him.

That accounts for something, right?

Doesn't it? blink.gif

Bueller?

It just doesn't make sense. All the Isles are going to do is hurt themselves. Say Nabby comes in, plays 30 games, and wins 20-25 of them. The Isles still don't make the playoffs, and their place in the draft order just went way down. Nabby walks at the end, and they can't lure another NHL caliber goalie because of how they treat players. They have a mid-round draft pick instead of a top 3.

How exactly does this help them?

Again, it's not that the Isles didn't need a goaltender, it's that they didn't need Nabokov. It's clear what he was trying to do whether it was with Detroit or another contender. Snow scooping him up is legal but still douchebaggish. Continuing this further only adds to it.

esteef

It just doesn't make sense. All the Isles are going to do is hurt themselves. Say Nabby comes in, plays 30 games, and wins 20-25 of them. The Isles still don't make the playoffs, and their place in the draft order just went way down. Nabby walks at the end, and they can't lure another NHL caliber goalie because of how they treat players. They have a mid-round draft pick instead of a top 3.

How exactly does this help them?

It doesn't make any sense. You're right. I, like you, think to myself "what good can Nabby even do there with such a short contract?" I thought a contract that was up in July with the Wings was pretty self-explanatory as far as what the idea for it was. But for all we know, Snow was hoping that Nabokov would complete this season and he could start negotiating something with him for next. We have no idea what the motives behind claiming him were. I've seen speculation ranging from just wanting to keep Nabby out of Detroit to Snow having a personal distaste for someone in the Red Wings organization. If we're going to speculate, is it not fair to also speculate that maybe - just maybe - Snow was actually doing what he felt was best for the team? Goaltenders of that caliber don't pop up at $570,000 every day. As I stated earlier, the only goaltender worth a poo for the Islanders right now got injured the night before they claimed him. Why would anybody honestly think Snow would pass up that opportunity for the Islanders?

Ken Holland was quoted as saying:

We tried something. It didn't work. It was a unique opportunity to acquire a guy with almost 300 NHL wins who's looking to get back into the NHL."

Don't you think maybe Snow saw it as such too? You can think he's a dbag for blocking Nabokov's goal of playing in the playoffs this season, but his job isn't to pander to the player's wishes. His job is to put together the best team he possibly can within the restraints of the regulations.

Nabokov knew what he was getting himself into when he signed that contract with Detroit. He knew that any of the teams ranked lower than us could take him if they wanted to. He knew that if that happened, his contract would then belong to whatever team that was - so he was essentially signing an agreement to play for Detroit or whomever claimed him since he knew about this beforehand. I don't understand how anybody can think he's noble for refusing to play for NYI. He's throwing a fit because things didn't go his way after he already agreed to the risks. And if Meehan, his agent, wasn't representing his own feelings when he said Nabby would play for any team that claimed him, he should've clarified that in the press rather than letting both rumors fly around confusing everybody.

I'm not saying Snow did the right thing. I'm just saying that Nabokov isn't an angel with a shining halo in this situation.

National Hockey League Player's Association. A 34 year old goaltender in the Finnish league isn't necessarily even a member of the NHLPA. But more to the point; entry waivers may impede the signing ability of a player who does not have an NHL contract and played or is playing in Europe during the same season. But this is counterbalanced by the fact that it protects the roster positions of the ~700 roster players in the NHL. If players could just cut out on European deals to sign NHL deals with no waiver process, what would happen if Chicago signed Fedorov, Zubov, Morozov, Demitra, Radulov, and Hasek all to league minimum, one-year deals right near the end of the season? That's a pretty hefty helping of skill onto the roster. And the players they replace would lose their jobs.

... If players could just cut out on European deals to sign NHL deals with no waiver process, what would happen if Chicago signed Fedorov, Zubov, Morozov, Demitra, Radulov, and Hasek all to league minimum, one-year deals right near the end of the season? That's a pretty hefty helping of skill onto the roster. And the players they replace would lose their jobs.

Same thing as what would happen if Chicago or anyone else signed all those players and then NJ claimed them all on waivers. You don't make or judge rules based on the worst case scenario you can imagine.

A better question is if that scenario or the 'hide players in Europe to circumvent the cap' angle or any other reason is a credible enough threat to league parity/function to justify the rule. In my opinion, no. So, in my opinion it's a stupid rule that should be changed.

Same thing as what would happen if Chicago or anyone else signed all those players and then NJ claimed them all on waivers. You don't make or judge rules based on the worst case scenario you can imagine.

A better question is if that scenario or the 'hide players in Europe to circumvent the cap' angle or any other reason is a credible enough threat to league parity/function to justify the rule. In my opinion, no. So, in my opinion it's a stupid rule that should be changed.

What exactly is the "Hide players in Europe to circumvent the cap" angle. Is that about Huet? Because Huet could be recalled without having to pass through the same waiver system Nabokov did. Huet would have to pass through recall waivers due to his contract size and experience, however.

Actually Eva, that is the reason the rule is in place. Say a team was up against the cap, and wanted to sign a player. They say, hey, go play in Russia for a few months, we'll bring you in later on. That's the reason the rule is in place, but it still is kinda silly.

I just don't blame Nabokov. If he wanted to showcase his skills for a contract for next season, Long Island isn't the place to do it. It'll only hurt his worth, not help it.

His worth is already hurting no matter what he does. Let's not forget that he couldn't find a single team to pick him up last summer when he was a UFA. He ended up getting on a team in the KHL, but he quit halfway through the season. He already has a recent reputation of being a flimsy (in terms of showing up for the job) player. Do you really think refusing to report to the Islanders helps that?

The way I see it, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. There going to be some GMs who would look at his stint with the Islanders and use it as an excuse to say he's getting old and he isn't as sharp as he used to be. But there's also going to be some who simply don't think he's a team player... because when you combine this incident with the others he's been involved in recently, he doesn't portray himself very well.