• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

The Wings were not always so well-run. It took Ilitch & Co. decades to get where they are now, and I'm fairly certain not all of their moves were on the up-and-up. (See Fedorov) Snow's job is to do the best he can to improve and maintain the team. He's done nothing more than that in this case.

Well, it actually took Ilitch about 7 years to be a perennial winner in the league and only about 12 years to be a perennial Stanley Cup contender, so decades is a stretch. Fedorov defected at the 1990 Goodwill Games in Seattle, when his team was here playing in the games, so there was nothing underhanded there (sure Ilitch probably enticed him to do so, but Fedorov still had to do it on his own and he did it legally.) Petr Klima on the other hand is whole different story. The actually were running through the woods with him (not Ilitch, but Wings officials) to an awaiting car where the took off with him and on to the United States. Ironically Konstantinov faked in-operable(in Russia) brain injury that could only be fixed in the United States. That is when he defected...

I don't know if that's sarcasm or not, but think of For Whom The Bell Tolls. It means to cause a bell to sound slowly, and is repeated.

Smartass! :P Naw, I KNOW that one. More than one poster here has used those words. Is it that they don't know how to spell (whoa!) and are actually saying something like, "all told..". If that's not it, I reeeely wanna know what it means.

Thanks anyways! :rolleyes:

If I were Nabby I would report to the Islanders and take a nap in the crease during my first game. Not even attempt to make a save, let in 7 goals on his first 8 shots as an Islander. Just to piss Garth Snow and Charles Wang off.

Hopefully they'd get the hint and let him go.

Free Tibet.

Free Willy.

Free Nabby!

OK, but if he goes into the fetal position, he sure as hell should have his butt facing out of the crease. More padding, ya know? :ph34r:

but he signed with the wings..not with the islanders...everyone keeps forgetting that it seems. they had half a year to sign him if they wanted to..now they do it after the wings sign him and after he said many times that he wanted to play for a contender. did the isle not think this was going to go wrong that they picked someone up that has a NMC and that signed with a team? And it seems that some GM's per reports are happy they picked him up just for the fact that Detroit didn't get him....so how do we know the islanders didn't do that? or is it because eva said so?

It doesn't matter how the Islanders acquired his contract. The fact is, they hold his contract and Nabokov is refusing to fulfill the obligations of that contract. Based on past precedent, the Islanders have the ability to request that Nabokov's contract be held over into 2011/12.

Smartass! :P Naw, I KNOW that one. More than one poster here has used those words. Is it that they don't know how to spell (whoa!) and are actually saying something like, "all told..". If that's not it, I reeeely wanna know what it means.

I believe that tolling means that the NHL forces the player to play the contract out. In Nabby's case, his contract would be tolled and he would be an Islander for the 2011-2012 season, making 570k for the season.

Simple solution.

Fake his death, change his identity, and pretend we found him playing goalie in an alley somewhere.

Some simple reconstructive surgery on his face may be necessary too.

Is that you Harlan - I thought you only wrote about basketball.

OK, but if he goes into the fetal position, he sure as hell should have his butt facing out of the crease. More padding, ya know? :ph34r:

be careful not to call someone a name even just joking and even after you tell a mod that the person you called it to was a friend. i was suspended for a week for that. just saying.

i still think nabby should hold out. i dont' think the nhl will grant the contract carry over. he signed with Detroit period. not with the isle. and i don't care right or wrong we all feel that the rule is bad in the cba and we hate it. he signed a contract with Detroit. which means something. to be able to just be picked up from someone off of waivers just because or whatever is just crazy to me.

be careful not to call someone a name even just joking and even after you tell a mod that the person you called it to was a friend. i was suspended for a week for that. just saying.

i still think nabby should hold out. i dont' think the nhl will grant the contract carry over. he signed with Detroit period. not with the isle. and i don't care right or wrong we all feel that the rule is bad in the cba and we hate it. he signed a contract with Detroit. which means something. to be able to just be picked up from someone off of waivers just because or whatever is just crazy to me.

Islanders - "Ho ho, we'll show HIM the consequences of not wanting to join us!"

The Wings were not always so well-run. It took Ilitch & Co. decades to get where they are now, and I'm fairly certain not all of their moves were on the up-and-up. (See Fedorov) Snow's job is to do the best he can to improve and maintain the team. He's done nothing more than that in this case.

Of course Nabby wouldn't have signed a contract with NY outright. No one is arguing that. Whether it's right or wrong, the rule as it stands is that Nabby had to clear waivers. Everyone involved knew that better than we did, and were very much aware of the chances of this actually panning out in our favor. Am I pleased with this situaion? Hardly. It is what it is and I still fail to see how Snow did anything wrong or underhanded or something we should be angry about. It was a smart move on his part, and from what I understand, those are few and far between. :)

No. It was a stupid move on his part. It blew-up in his face. He has so far gotten nothing out of it but a public feud with Nabakov and his agent.

Nabakov doesn't have a Islanders uniform on does he?

He said in an interview with MSG that he didn't even consider that Nabakov wouldn't report. Why? Everybody else in the world thought that it might happen....

Simple solution.

Fake his death, change his identity, and pretend we found him playing goalie in an alley somewhere.

Some simple reconstructive surgery on his face may be necessary too.

No. That violates rule 34.2.1.3.2.b and is subject to a $3.5 million fine and the loss of 3 first round draft picks which states that "No player may willingly fake his death in order to circumvent the cap unless he is Sydney Crosby or another player whom Sydney appoints as a stand in"

Edited by chrisdetroit

If I were Nabokov I would hold out for a little while longer to prove to everyone that he was serious. Then settle his differences with Snow and report. Then after a few games (enough that he can claim he made an effort) say that he just can't handle playing for a s*** team. Walk out and claim it was for personal reasons. The Isles can then suspend him again if they want. But at that point since he would have reported they can no longer toll his contract over.

I believe that tolling means that the NHL forces the player to play the contract out. In Nabby's case, his contract would be tolled and he would be an Islander for the 2011-2012 season, making 570k for the season.

Aha! Thanks, Shady. :thumbup:

:shocking: Thanks! :thumbup:

As much as it sucked that Snow and the Islanders claimed him. I'm pretty sure some other team would have claimed him. Snow is a terrible GM however I see where he's coming from on claiming Nabokov. The Islanders goaltending status is in shambles as always and they're team stinks as usual. However rules are rules. I think the league will address this sometime soon hopefully. Holland knew this was risky. I'm quite surprised he took the chance. Honestly Holland had to know someone else would claim him considering what happened with Svatos and Wellwood. Anyways I wasn't expecting to land Nabokov and I'm quite surprised by the number of people on here that thought we would get him. Would have been interesting to have Nabokov though. :)

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

At this point, I don't really understand why the Islanders don't put him back on waivers. He doesn't want to play there and if you were in Snow's position would you want a guy that doesn't want to be there in your locker room? There's nothing in it for Nabokov. Playing on the worst team in the league for peanuts is lose-lose. Playing for them won't increase his value, he won't get a chance at a championship and he'll make almost no money in the process. The Isles tolling his contract would be really dumb. How does a 35, going on 36, year old goalie fit in the long term plans of this franchise? Maybe they could trade him next year, but with him holding out, they have no leverage in a trade.

am I the only one who thinks this situation should just end, I mean Nabby was not that great the last few years and he could be even worse now. Yeah he would be a good back up, but at this point it doesn't even seem that worth it.

I assure you Nabby would be taking that starting job from Howard... Howard simply is NOT cutting it this year. Last night was the 2nd time in a long while that he allowed fewer than 3 goals, and the goal he did let in was absolutely terrible. We need Ozzie to come back strong in March because IMO if he can get goin in time he will be starting

am I the only one who thinks this situation should just end, I mean Nabby was not that great the last few years and he could be even worse now. Yeah he would be a good back up, but at this point it doesn't even seem that worth it.

Nabby had his best playoff year last year. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

If I were Nabokov I would hold out for a little while longer to prove to everyone that he was serious. Then settle his differences with Snow and report. Then after a few games (enough that he can claim he made an effort) say that he just can't handle playing for a s*** team. Walk out and claim it was for personal reasons. The Isles can then suspend him again if they want. But at that point since he would have reported they can no longer toll his contract over.

This.

Either that, or as mentioned before, go down with a "mystery injury"

I assure you Nabby would be taking that starting job from Howard... Howard simply is NOT cutting it this year. Last night was the 2nd time in a long while that he allowed fewer than 3 goals, and the goal he did let in was absolutely terrible. We need Ozzie to come back strong in March because IMO if he can get goin in time he will be starting

Terrible because there's not a soul on the roster right now that can (or is willing) to clear out the front of the net? That's been systemic of the Red Wings' play of late and that certainly isn't Howard's fault. He hasn't been as electrifying as he was down the stretch last year, but the Red Wings' defense around the net has been abysmal so far this season.

Terrible because there's not a soul on the roster right now that can (or is willing) to clear out the front of the net? That's been systemic of the Red Wings' play of late and that certainly isn't Howard's fault. He hasn't been as electrifying as he was down the stretch last year, but the Red Wings' defense around the net has been abysmal so far this season.

It was his fault. Bad rebound control and bad recovery. Other than that he played lights out, absolutely lights out.