• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

Guest scottj

lol I don't care how s***ty your ONE goal allowed in the game is... if that was you're only one, it should be enough

Terrible because there's not a soul on the roster right now that can (or is willing) to clear out the front of the net? That's been systemic of the Red Wings' play of late and that certainly isn't Howard's fault. He hasn't been as electrifying as he was down the stretch last year, but the Red Wings' defense around the net has been abysmal so far this season.

You couldn't possibly be more correct, sir. Thank you! :thumbup:

So, we're back to Ozzie is still good then? Ozzie and Howard were almost identical before they went down. If Howard is bad because of the D, then so is Ozzie.

Blasphemy. :ph34r:

I think it's called bias, by the way.

Edited by puckloo39

Terrible because there's not a soul on the roster right now that can (or is willing) to clear out the front of the net? That's been systemic of the Red Wings' play of late and that certainly isn't Howard's fault.

agreed but... the fact that the guys are forced to clear out the front of the net 8-10 times per game is howard's fault

Terrible because there's not a soul on the roster right now that can (or is willing) to clear out the front of the net? That's been systemic of the Red Wings' play of late and that certainly isn't Howard's fault. He hasn't been as electrifying as he was down the stretch last year, but the Red Wings' defense around the net has been abysmal so far this season.

You know what?

Howard should have controlled the rebound. Because of his error the defense scrambled and Nicklas Lidstrom did his damnedest to keep the puck out and Zetterberg tried to cover the man Lidstrom had abandoned in his frenzy. Without Howard's gaffe they take a defensive zone faceoff and possibly give Howard a chance to watch THEM screw up a play once again.

Sure, the defense has been bad, but it was hella good last night and did everything they could except "OH MY GARSH HE DIDNT MAKE A FLYING BODY CHECK HE IS DOING IT WRONG".

Didn't Detroit win a cup while all of the fans here were kicking and screaming about the fact Detroit is never physical enough in front of the net? You would think after 6 years we would stop harping on that issue so much. It isn't going to change. That is the system they employ and they have won with it and had issues with it.

At this point, I don't really understand why the Islanders don't put him back on waivers. He doesn't want to play there and if you were in Snow's position would you want a guy that doesn't want to be there in your locker room? There's nothing in it for Nabokov. Playing on the worst team in the league for peanuts is lose-lose. Playing for them won't increase his value, he won't get a chance at a championship and he'll make almost no money in the process. The Isles tolling his contract would be really dumb. How does a 35, going on 36, year old goalie fit in the long term plans of this franchise? Maybe they could trade him next year, but with him holding out, they have no leverage in a trade.

Teams whose starter is a UFA this summer:

Buffalo, Colorado, Florida, Ottawa, Phoenix, San Jose, Tampa Bay, Toronto.

That's eight teams. He would be an upgrade on six of them.

I can think of at least two more that would be interested in trading for his services.

Ten of 29. That's about 35%.

Given Nabokov's ability and cap hit, his trade value is through the roof. So even with what leverage Snow loses due to being forced into a trade, he still will be able to get a strong return.

Teams whose starter is a UFA this summer:

Buffalo, Colorado, Florida, Ottawa, Phoenix, San Jose, Tampa Bay, Toronto.

That's eight teams. He would be an upgrade on six of them.

Which six? I see 5, maybe.

Buffalo - Miller is better

Florida - Vokoun is better

Phoenix - Bryz is better

Roloson is about the same in skill level, but younger.

And it doesn't matter. He has a NMC, meaning that he wouldn't be going to any of those teams anyways. And I bet the 10 other teams in the league who WOULD want him, he wouldn't be willing to waive his NMC for.

Guest Crymson

You know what?

Howard should have controlled the rebound. Because of his error the defense scrambled and Nicklas Lidstrom did his damnedest to keep the puck out and Zetterberg tried to cover the man Lidstrom had abandoned in his frenzy. Without Howard's gaffe they take a defensive zone faceoff and possibly give Howard a chance to watch THEM screw up a play once again.

Sure, the defense has been bad, but it was hella good last night and did everything they could except "OH MY GARSH HE DIDNT MAKE A FLYING BODY CHECK HE IS DOING IT WRONG".

Didn't Detroit win a cup while all of the fans here were kicking and screaming about the fact Detroit is never physical enough in front of the net? You would think after 6 years we would stop harping on that issue so much. It isn't going to change. That is the system they employ and they have won with it and had issues with it.

Losing the team's most physical defenseman doesn't help.

Which six? I see 5, maybe.

Buffalo - Miller is better

Florida - Vokoun is better

Phoenix - Bryz is better

Roloson is about the same in skill level, but younger.

And it doesn't matter. He has a NMC, meaning that he wouldn't be going to any of those teams anyways. And I bet the 10 other teams in the league who WOULD want him, he wouldn't be willing to waive his NMC for.

Five is what I meant. :P

And do you seriously think Nabokov wouldn't waive his NMC to be traded to a team like, say, Chicago?

Realistically, I see Yzerman trying to make a deal for him. Gagne and Stamkos are the only significant FAs on the team, and replacing Smith and Roloson with Nabokov saves about $3m in cap space towards those two. Jones is a UFA, and can be kept or replaced (maybe a pitch for Ericsson?) but if Nabokov's deal is tolled, it's perfect for the Lightning, who have a only 4 roster UFAs if you exclude goalies.

Roloson is six years OLDER than Nabokov.

Ah, thanks for catching that. I knew Rolly was older, I just typed it out the wrong way. I meant that Nabokov was younger.

Five is what I meant. :P

And do you seriously think Nabokov wouldn't waive his NMC to be traded to a team like, say, Chicago?

Realistically, I see Yzerman trying to make a deal for him. Gagne and Stamkos are the only significant FAs on the team, and replacing Smith and Roloson with Nabokov saves about $3m in cap space towards those two. Jones is a UFA, and can be kept or replaced (maybe a pitch for Ericsson?) but if Nabokov's deal is tolled, it's perfect for the Lightning, who have a only 4 roster UFAs if you exclude goalies.

I think Nabby would have a very select list of teams he would be willing to be traded to. Chicago is quickly on their way back to the cellar, so I don't think he want to go back there.

Nabby will report to the Isle for the last month of the regular season to enable him to become a UFA, and Kenny has a pre-signed contract for 2011-12 with Nabakov's name on it, you just wait and see.

I doubt it. Nabby made $6mil his last year in the NHL. Do you think that he will sign for $2mil or less? As far as the Islanders, there would be no point in him showing up. Why would any GM want a guy on his team that doesn't want to be there?

If Snow had any brains (which he doesn't) he would just waive Nabby. No way that the Wings would trade for him since the Wings would then have to give up something and he'd still have to clear waivers.

My bet is Snow just waives him and nobody but Detroit claims him. Anybody that wants to claim him will first make a phone call to Nabby's agent to see if he will report.

Ryan Miller is signed through 2015.

NM, I accidentally looked at Lalime's deal. Hey, he used to be the starter right?

I doubt it. Nabby made $6mil his last year in the NHL. Do you think that he will sign for $2mil or less? As far as the Islanders, there would be no point in him showing up. Why would any GM want a guy on his team that doesn't want to be there?

If Snow had any brains (which he doesn't) he would just waive Nabby. No way that the Wings would trade for him since the Wings would then have to give up something and he'd still have to clear waivers.

My bet is Snow just waives him and nobody but Detroit claims him. Anybody that wants to claim him will first make a phone call to Nabby's agent to see if he will report.

So you're saying that Snow, if he were smart, would just give up something he got for free in return for nothing because he isn't going to be suiting up for them and they can't trade him until July 1st (assuming his contract is tolled).

Yeah, real smart. The smart thing to do is keep him, and either play him when he changes his mind or trade him in the summer if he doesn't.

This is actually a smart move by Snow. It's win/win for him. If Nabokov reports, he gets a good goalie for the last months of the year. If Nabokov doesn't report, nothing with the team changes, it doesn't cost the team anything, and the Isle can have his contract tolled (if it's approved) to next year where they'll be able to trade him without going through waivers. The stupidest thing he could do is waive him again and get nothing for him. I think most GM's in his situation would have done the same thing.

And if he is waived again, don't be so naive to think that no one else will claim him and just let Detroit have him, if anything a team with cap space and in a playoff position will claim him just so Detroit doesn't get him, even if he doesn't want to report to them either.

NM, I accidentally looked at Lalime's deal. Hey, he used to be the starter right?

So you're saying that Snow, if he were smart, would just give up something he got for free in return for nothing because he isn't going to be suiting up for them and they can't trade him until July 1st (assuming his contract is tolled).

Yeah, real smart. The smart thing to do is keep him, and either play him when he changes his mind or trade him in the summer if he doesn't.

He didn't get ANYTHING for free. He has a piece of paper - that's it. A player that doesn't want to play for you is worthless. Snow could force him to play but what would the point be? What if Snow forces him to play and he's not any good (maybe due to lack of motivation).

Please explain what Snow got for nothing that is worth anything.

He didn't get ANYTHING for free. He has a piece of paper - that's it. A player that doesn't want to play for you is worthless. Snow could force him to play but what would the point be? What if Snow forces him to play and he's not any good (maybe due to lack of motivation).

Please explain what Snow got for nothing that is worth anything.

If Nabokov is suspended right through the end of the season, it is virtually guaranteed that his contract will be tolled.

So at that point, Snow has Nabokov on a one-year deal for $570k with a NMC. He can trade him to any interested party, and given the teams likely to be interested in a goaltender, Nabokov would quickly and happily waive that clause.

Snow basically gained prospects/picks and/or a quality roster player for free.

This is actually a smart move by Snow. It's win/win for him. If Nabokov reports, he gets a good goalie for the last months of the year. If Nabokov doesn't report, nothing with the team changes, it doesn't cost the team anything, and the Isle can have his contract tolled (if it's approved) to next year where they'll be able to trade him without going through waivers. The stupidest thing he could do is waive him again and get nothing for him. I think most GM's in his situation would have done the same thing.

And if he is waived again, don't be so naive to think that no one else will claim him and just let Detroit have him, if anything a team with cap space and in a playoff position will claim him just so Detroit doesn't get him, even if he doesn't want to report to them either.

First - You assume that Nabby reports and plays up to expectations. If he reports and doesn't play well due to lack of motivation the first part of the win/win is a lose.

Second, if the contract is tolled and have a goalie with a no trade clause so Nabby gets to decide if he wants to veto the trade and that makes it damn near impossible to trade him. So that's also a lose.

The ONLY way that this is a win/win is if Nabby wakes up one morning and decides that he wants to play for the Islanders. Based on what he has said previously, this is not going to happen.

On paper, it's a win/win but hockey isn't played on paper.

Trying to sort this all out...

So Snow's best move is to obviously keep the rights to Nabby until the end of the season so he can toll next season.

The Wing's have no best move. All they can do is wait.

So what's Nabby's best move? Play or not?

Edited by Broken 16

First - You assume that Nabby reports and plays up to expectations. If he reports and doesn't play well due to lack of motivation the first part of the win/win is a lose.

Second, if the contract is tolled and have a goalie with a no trade clause so Nabby gets to decide if he wants to veto the trade and that makes it damn near impossible to trade him. So that's also a lose.

The ONLY way that this is a win/win is if Nabby wakes up one morning and decides that he wants to play for the Islanders. Based on what he has said previously, this is not going to happen.

Nabokov wants to play in the NHL. He is under contract to the Islanders. He's not going to veto any trade with his NMC just to screw them. He'll take a good deal if they can get him to a team he likes.

Trying to sort this all out...

So Snow's best move is to obviously keep the rights to Nabby until the end of the season so he can toll next season.

The Wing's have no best move. All they can do is wait.

So what's Nabby's best move? Play or not?

Nabby's best move is to play. If he doesn't play, he doesn't win the Cup this year. If he does, he doesn't win the Cup this year.

Big difference is that if he plays he can decide where he goes and for how much, while if he doesn't he is traded with only limited say in his destination.

He also doesn't get paid this year if he doesn't play.

Thank you Captain Obvious!

esteef

Sometimes it's necessary to point out the obvious because people miss it. :hehe:

Will he waive it for any team? No.

Does he want to sit around, collect dust, and not get paid? No.

It's obvious that Nabokov is going to waive his NMC if a good deal comes along... as he obviously doesn't want to play for the Islanders.

If he plays this year, he'll be playing for a contract for next year. If he doesn't play well he's only hurting himself, it's not like he can hurt the Islanders in the standings.

In regards to the NMC, he doesn't want to be an Islander anyway, so any deal that has him going to a good team he'll most likely be OK with. (Just my opinion here, you could be right and turn down any trade, I don't know what's going on in his head)

The big unknown here is the contract "tolling". If it's not tolled, he will certainly not report to the Islanders. If it is, well he has some decisions to make. However, nothing will be known about the NHL's tolling decision until that process is initiated, and that would only happen if Nabby doesn't report at all. It's a gamble for sure and I bet he and his agent are already talking to the NHLPA about where they would stand in that regard.

Here's a question, what happens if the contract is tolled, he has to play for the Isle next season at that ridiculous price, but he still doesn't report?

esteef

The big unknown here is the contract "tolling". If it's not tolled, he will certainly not report to the Islanders. If it is, well he has some decisions to make. However, nothing will be known about the NHL's tolling decision until that process is initiated, and that would only happen if Nabby doesn't report at all. It's a gamble for sure and I bet he and his agent are already talking to the NHLPA about where they would stand in that regard.

Here's a question, what happens if the contract is tolled, he has to play for the Isle next season at that ridiculous price, but he still doesn't report?

esteef

Wang will still be puzzled.