• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

At that point he is most likely traded.

"That's not an option at this point. I'm pleased to announce I've assembled a team of psychological experts to delve into Nabokov's psyche, trying to figure out exactly why he still doesn't want to play for my franchise." - Charles Wang

If Nabokov is suspended right through the end of the season, it is virtually guaranteed that his contract will be tolled.

So at that point, Snow has Nabokov on a one-year deal for $570k with a NMC. He can trade him to any interested party, and given the teams likely to be interested in a goaltender, Nabokov would quickly and happily waive that clause.

Snow basically gained prospects/picks and/or a quality roster player for free.

In a "normal" situation you would be correct but this isn't a normal situation. If Snow trades him (with Nabby's blessing), he still has to clear waivers. If I'm a GM of a team with interest why would I risk trading for Nabby and sending an asset to the Islanders when I might lose it all to the waiver wire.

Several things have to happen simultaneously for Snow to benefit from this fiasco.

You are ignoring the fact that Nabby will be exposed to waivers if he is traded and assume that his new team is willing to risk that and you are also assuming that Nabby will agree to the trade.

To many if's.

Snow's best move would have been not to claim him in the first place unless he had prior agreement from Nabby that he would actually play for the Islanders. His only way out of the mess now is to first find out who would claim him off of waivers and the work out a deal with that team before hand. Problem is, Nabby gets to reject those deals and my guess is that there are a few teams that might be interested that Nabby will veto. OR just waive him with no deal and let it become somebody else's problem.

Nabokov wants to play in the NHL. He is under contract to the Islanders. He's not going to veto any trade with his NMC just to screw them. He'll take a good deal if they can get him to a team he likes.

Nabby's best move is to play. If he doesn't play, he doesn't win the Cup this year. If he does, he doesn't win the Cup this year.

Big difference is that if he plays he can decide where he goes and for how much, while if he doesn't he is traded with only limited say in his destination.

He also doesn't get paid this year if he doesn't play.

Would you rather be the goaltender for the worst team in the league for the next 3 months with little or no fan support and no chance to make the playoffs or sit at home. Nabby has already publiclly told us his answer.

He has a NMC. I think that means in either case, he gets to decide who he plays for.

In a "normal" situation you would be correct but this isn't a normal situation. If Snow trades him (with Nabby's blessing), he still has to clear waivers. If I'm a GM of a team with interest why would I risk trading for Nabby and sending an asset to the Islanders when I might lose it all to the waiver wire.

Several things have to happen simultaneously for Snow to benefit from this fiasco.

You are ignoring the fact that Nabby will be exposed to waivers if he is traded and assume that his new team is willing to risk that and you are also assuming that Nabby will agree to the trade.

To many if's.

Snow's best move would have been not to claim him in the first place unless he had prior agreement from Nabby that he would actually play for the Islanders. His only way out of the mess now is to first find out who would claim him off of waivers and the work out a deal with that team before hand. Problem is, Nabby gets to reject those deals and my guess is that there are a few teams that might be interested that Nabby will veto. OR just waive him with no deal and let it become somebody else's problem.

I understand no. You simply don't understand how waivers work.

Nabokov is only required to pass through waivers if Snow tries to trade him THIS SEASON.

If his contract is tolled, then Snow can trade him after the season ends.

You're ignoring the fact that after the season ends, Nabokov no longer has to pass through waivers. If the Isles keep him until their season ends, and the NHL tolls his contract, he's theirs for the 2011-2012 season, and they can trade him, without him having to pass through waivers.

You're ignoring the fact that after the season ends, Nabokov no longer has to pass through waivers. If the Isles keep him until their season ends, and the NHL tolls his contract, he's theirs for the 2011-2012 season, and they can trade him, without him having to pass through waivers.

This is true. The new "season" starts July 1st i believe.

I assume that's probably Snow's thoughts too. Nabby won't report, they'll toll his contract and trade him away.

To me I think it's petty to mess with someones career like that. I am sure Snow knew Nabby wouldn't want to play there. I understand why Snow did it, though.

Edited by Wingers17

To me I think it's petty to mess with someones career like that. I am sure Snow knew Nabby wouldn't want to play there. I understand why Snow did it, though.

Option 1: Acquire high end goalie and have him play for you on the cheap, hopefully leading your team to the longshot playoff spot you have when you first acquired him.

Option 2: Acquire rights to said high end goalie, have him NOT report, toll his contract and trade him off for other solid assets in the summer.

Option 3: Don't bother improving your team.

Nabokov not reporting is comparable to someone you work with deciding they don't want to work at that location anymore, and just not showing up for work until they get a transfer or a new job.

Actually, Nabby not reporting is like getting offered a job with a law firm, accepting the offer, and then being told to report to McDonalds Monday morning to work on the fry station, because that's your new job.

I don't know anyone who would take that deal, yet you're acting like it's illogical for him *not* to show up and work the fry station.

Option 1: Acquire high end goalie and have him play for you on the cheap, hopefully leading your team to the longshot playoff spot you have when you first acquired him.

Option 2: Acquire rights to said high end goalie, have him NOT report, toll his contract and trade him off for other solid assets in the summer.

Nabokov not reporting is comparable to someone you work with deciding they don't want to work at that location anymore, and just not showing up for work until they get a transfer or a new job.

yeah if said person wasn't working the whole year and then decided to sign a contract to work with another company, but by some other circumstance he was told he had to work for a company he never had any intentions of working for.

No...its nothing like that. He never was goalie for the isle. It was more like what drwscc said. Stick to stats.

Actually, Nabby not reporting is like getting offered a job with a law firm, accepting the offer, and then being told to report to McDonalds Monday morning to work on the fry station, because that's your new job.

I don't know anyone who would take that deal, yet you're acting like it's illogical for him *not* to show up and work the fry station.

yeah if said person wasn't working the whole year and then decided to sign a contract to work with another company, but by some other circumstance he was told he had to work for a company he never had any intentions of working for.

No...its nothing like that. He never was goalie for the isle. It was more like what drwscc said. Stick to stats.

Actually Eva's analogy is a lot closer than the other ones being thrown around here. Nabokov signed a contract with an NHL franchise under the current CBA.

The thing you guys are overlooking is that no matter what his intent was, Nabokov knew going into it how the waivers rule worked. Nearly everyone in the hockey world knew he had little to no chance to actually clear waivers and go to the Wings. You guys act as if this possibility was a total surprise to him.

A more accurate analogy would be if an employee signed a contract to work for one of the best Little Caesar's franchises, but knew that before he could, all the struggling franchises had an option to pick up his contract and have him work there first. One of the crappiest franchises decided to use that option, so the employee decided not to honor his contract.

I'm not saying I don't understand why he doesn't want to play for the Islanders, but he had to know this was a very real possibility when he signed.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Noone is saying he didn't know this was a possibility, but I'm sure he and his agent looked things over, and determined that it was unlikely a cellar dweller would pick him up, as rent-a-players are usually signed for the playoffs. It didn't make sense for New Jersey or the Isle to pick him up because they don't really have a chance to make the playoffs. I really think Nabby would have been fine if he had been picked up by a contender of any stripe. The real problem is that the pickup doesn't make any sense on a professional level, for Nabby. It's Snow jacking with someone else's career.

To use your Caesars analogy, this would be akin to your contract being picked up by the worst franchise in the company, where there are no customers, and noone that wants to work there, that would give you 2 months of work, and then shut down. Unless you were destitute, and had no other prospects (which does not describe Nabakov) I don't think there are many folks that would show up.

EIther way, it's going to be weird eventually seeing him in a sweater that isn't San Jose.

He just has to report by March for the season to count, correct? If I were Nabby, I'd just hold out until Feb 28th, then report... then become a UFA in the off season and sign with Detroit :cool:

Noone is saying he didn't know this was a possibility, but I'm sure he and his agent looked things over, and determined that it was unlikely a cellar dweller would pick him up, as rent-a-players are usually signed for the playoffs. It didn't make sense for New Jersey or the Isle to pick him up because they don't really have a chance to make the playoffs. I really think Nabby would have been fine if he had been picked up by a contender of any stripe. The real problem is that the pickup doesn't make any sense on a professional level, for Nabby. It's Snow jacking with someone else's career.

To use your Caesars analogy, this would be akin to your contract being picked up by the worst franchise in the company, where there are no customers, and noone that wants to work there, that would give you 2 months of work, and then shut down. Unless you were destitute, and had no other prospects (which does not describe Nabakov) I don't think there are many folks that would show up.

Like I said, I understand Nabby not wanting to play there, but this isn't Snow just doing this to screw him over. Their goaltending situation is bad. They basically have Dipietro who is a china doll, a shaky minor leaguer, and a young prospect. They don't want to throw the prospect and have him get shelled on a crappy team.

Dipietro will very likely get injured again in some way, and there is still almost a half a season left to play. No, they're not going to make the playoffs, but as GM I get that he wants to at least ice a competitive team so the fans that do come have something to watch.

Holland likely made this move because of Osgood's injury and Jimmy's less than stellar play. So he picks up a solid goalie at bargain basement prices. That's pretty much the same reasons Snow claimed him, minus the playoff situation. Roloson was a salary dump, but by claiming Nabby Snow just replaced him with a comparable goaltender but significantly cheaper. And unless Jimmy started sucking, he's the starting goaltender here in Detroit, but Nabokov sounds almost as if he expected to be the starter. He'd very likely be riding the pine here come playoff time.

Sucks for Nabokov, but Snow is doing this for reasons other than to screw with his career, and it's allowed in the rules.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Like I said, I understand Nabby not wanting to play there, but this isn't Snow just doing this to screw him over. Their goaltending situation is bad. They basically have Dipietro who is a china doll, a shaky minor leaguer, and a young prospect. They don't want to throw the prospect and have him get shelled on a crappy team.

Dipietro will very likely get injured again in some way, and there is still almost a half a season left to play. No, they're not going to make the playoffs, but as GM I get that he wants to at least ice a competitive team so the fans that do come have something to watch.

Holland likely made this move because of Osgood's injury and Jimmy's less than stellar play. So he picks up a solid goalie at bargain basement prices. That's pretty much the same reasons Snow claimed him, minus the playoff situation. Roloson was a salary dump, but by claiming Nabby Snow just replaced him with a comparable goaltender but significantly cheaper. And unless Jimmy started sucking, he's the starting goaltender here in Detroit, but Nabokov sounds almost as if he expected to be the starter. He'd very likely be riding the pine here come playoff time.

Sucks for Nabokov, but Snow is doing this for reasons other than to screw with his career, and it's allowed in the rules.

Here's my problem, because obviously Snow did nothing wrong in terms of the rules

Hockey, just like any other business, has "guidelines" apart from the rules. If you want to be a well respected franchise where players will want to come and play their best, you have to act a certain way in business, considering all sides of a matter...

1. Players who sign a deal with a contender, halfway through the NHL season, who are 35 plus years old and haven't won a cup, probably don't want to play on a team that has already forfieted their season, traded veterans, been a perennial bottom feeder, continuesly ran into the ground, and is essentially certain to miss the playoffs.

a. Considering above, player may not report when claimed.

b. By not reporting, he makes said team look even worse in the media.

2. By claiming said player, you may: Instantly create an unhealthy relationship with the player, agent, agents other clients, signing team, or all. (Very much like Offer Sheets for RFA's)

3. By doing so you may: Confirm to the entire NHL community (again), on a large media scale mind you, exactly what kind of short sighted hockey operations decisions (Yashin trade and signing and releasing, Luongo trade, DiPietro signing, etc.) got you to be in the predicament you're in to begin with.

a. Repercussions include, but not limited to: even less ticket sales, corporate sponsership, or new fans.

Of course we don't expect anything different from them. But that doesn't excuse Snow from a little bit of responsibility for his short sighted actions. I still blame him because its a bad PR decision that is a huge high-risk, low reward move.

Some unlearned fan somewhere is saying, "Geez, what kind of smart, successful, business and personal relations trained GM would do such a thing?" And we all laugh and shrug our shoulders, trying to make them look as big as a certain late '90's back-up goaltender from the Flyers. A 'tender who's rags to more rags story has uninspired us all and left us wishing Mike Milbury would return to bring the Isle's back to their former glory!

Edited by achildr1

I understand no. You simply don't understand how waivers work.

Nabokov is only required to pass through waivers if Snow tries to trade him THIS SEASON.

If his contract is tolled, then Snow can trade him after the season ends.

Key word here is IF. The Islanders would have to get the league to toll the contract and it is expected that the union would fight this.

You are correct though - IF the contract is tolled then Snow has the ability to trade him to any team that Nabby wants to go to next year and he won't have to pass through waivers.

Snow could then get something out of this fiasco IF the league and the NHLPA agree to toll the contract and then, IF they are able to work out a trade and IF Nabby agrees to the trade.

Actually Eva's analogy is a lot closer than the other ones being thrown around here. Nabokov signed a contract with an NHL franchise under the current CBA.

The thing you guys are overlooking is that no matter what his intent was, Nabokov knew going into it how the waivers rule worked. Nearly everyone in the hockey world knew he had little to no chance to actually clear waivers and go to the Wings. You guys act as if this possibility was a total surprise to him.

A more accurate analogy would be if an employee signed a contract to work for one of the best Little Caesar's franchises, but knew that before he could, all the struggling franchises had an option to pick up his contract and have him work there first. One of the crappiest franchises decided to use that option, so the employee decided not to honor his contract.

I'm not saying I don't understand why he doesn't want to play for the Islanders, but he had to know this was a very real possibility when he signed.

Nobody in the hockey world thought that a team that is out of the playoffs would have any use for a 35 year old goaltender for a period of 3 months.

He just has to report by March for the season to count, correct? If I were Nabby, I'd just hold out until Feb 28th, then report... then become a UFA in the off season and sign with Detroit :cool:

play 1 game and then take a leave of absence to deal with "personal matters" :lol:

that may teach snow to f*** with Nabby's career and the little time he has left.