• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

Persaonlly I don't know all the specifics on how allowing Nabokov to play in the Worlds would adversely affect the Isles' ability to toll the contract. That being said, if there would be said negative impact and a potential that they would not be able to toll the contract if they were to let him play in the Worlds (and their intent is to at least explore the option of tolling the contract) then I can understand why they are refusing to allow him to do so.

At the same time, to me the World Championships have nothing to do with the NHL and nothing to do with SPC (Standard Player Contracts) so as I said above I don't understand how this would have any adverse affect on them being able to toll the contract. From what I know and understand about the situation at this point it seems more like Snow and the Isles sticking it to Nabokov. But as I said, if it legitimately does affect their ability to toll the contract and they're even thinking about potentially doing so then fair enough.

Another interesting point to remember is that the Isles did also re-sign Al Montoya. Kevin Poulin is also still under contract and of course Rick Di Pietro will still be on the Island. The only reason to toll Nabokov's contract would be to trade him.

Tretiak on the situation with Nabokov: "During the game on Saturday Garth Snow called me. He said that he is clearing legal questions with the League...

The Islanders are afraid of losing Nabokov, because he is in their future plans."

Re Nabokov playing for the National team in the Worlds, Snow reportedly told Tretiak everything should be cleared by Tuesday.

ROFL

if Nabby reports to the Isle for the last few games they have left, would this lift his suspension and make him a UFA next season?

if so kenny should ring Nabby tell him to swallow his pride and report, then there will be a contract waiting at the joe in the off

season for him. That does seem to simple to be true but is it?

if Nabby reports to the Isle for the last few games they have left, would this lift his suspension and make him a UFA next season?

if so kenny should ring Nabby tell him to swallow his pride and report, then there will be a contract waiting at the joe in the off

I think this is technically illegal. Nabby is Islanders property and consequently can't be talked to about joining other teams. Although I may be incorrect.

I think this is technically illegal. Nabby is Islanders property and consequently can't be talked to about joining other teams. Although I may be incorrect.

Rules have been bent before when getting Russian hockey players to Detroit.

I am hoping that the Islanders and the NHL force him to honor his contract next year and then trade him to Detroit. It seems he has made it clear that he isn't playing for them, and his heart is set on Detroit so maybe they can turn it into a win/win. Islanders get some compensation, The Red Wings get a backup.

Nabby already missed the cut-off for that. I believe it was one of the last days of February that he had to report by in order for his contract to "count" this season. From what I understand, its not an option for him to report now and be free and clear come July.

Guest Heaten

I am hoping that the Islanders and the NHL force him to honor his contract next year and then trade him to Detroit. It seems he has made it clear that he isn't playing for them, and his heart is set on Detroit so maybe they can turn it into a win/win. Islanders get some compensation, The Red Wings get a backup.

True. We could send Snow Joey MacDonald and an autographed hockey puck from Nabokov and Datsyuk.

True. We could send Snow Joey MacDonald and an autographed hockey puck from Nabokov and Datsyuk.

Joey isn't under contract next year but I would send a mid tier prospect and a third round pick.

I would sue the league to claim that they shouldn't have the right to do that. He would lose, but it could lead to that rule being changed.

Hopefully they do change it. That whole thing is completely retarded.

How can you be a unrestricted free agent, and still have to clear waivers? Doesn't that, oh, you know, contradict the whole UNRESTRICTED part of unrestricted free agent?

I am hoping that the Islanders and the NHL force him to honor his contract next year and then trade him to Detroit. It seems he has made it clear that he isn't playing for them, and his heart is set on Detroit so maybe they can turn it into a win/win. Islanders get some compensation, The Red Wings get a backup LEGIT #1 Starter.

Fixed For You....

Hopefully they do change it. That whole thing is completely retarded.

How can you be a unrestricted free agent, and still have to clear waivers? Doesn't that, oh, you know, contradict the whole UNRESTRICTED part of unrestricted free agent?

The fact is that Nabokov already had a contract and was playing in another league this season. Had he not signed in the KHL and simply been training, there would have been no waiver process. And the term "unrestricted" refers to the fact that the player's rights are not bound to a specific team. He can sign with whomever he wants and there is no compensation or right to match, while a restricted free agent gives the team the right to match any offers made as well as to receive compensation if the player is signed away.

Guest Crymson

Fixed For You....

Are you planning to make another heartfelt apology and pledge undying fidelity to Ken Holland once again when the Wings win the Cup once more? And will it hold up for more than nine months this time?

The fact is that Nabokov already had a contract and was playing in another league this season. Had he not signed in the KHL and simply been training, there would have been no waiver process. And the term "unrestricted" refers to the fact that the player's rights are not bound to a specific team. He can sign with whomever he wants and there is no compensation or right to match, while a restricted free agent gives the team the right to match any offers made as well as to receive compensation if the player is signed away.

Except he couldn't really sign with anyone. He could only sign a contract then hope that none of the other 29 teams grab him. So kind of the opposite of unrestricted.

It's a dick rule by the NHL to try to keep players out the KHL and other Euro leagues. Had he decided to play in the AHL and subsequently been released he wouldn't have had to pass waivers either. Same situation, but for some reason playing in Europe means that the team that wants you enough to sign you, and you want to play for most, somehow has the least right to do so.

Fixed For You....

I suspect that could end up being the case. It would probably have this year. Best case senario is that both Howard and Nabokov play lights out split time and we have a tough decision next year for the playoffs. Even if Howard wins a cup as a starter this year, I still don't think the Wings would hesitate to being in Nabby if asking price weren't too high.

Except he couldn't really sign with anyone. He could only sign a contract then hope that none of the other 29 teams grab him. So kind of the opposite of unrestricted.

It's a dick rule by the NHL to try to keep players out the KHL and other Euro leagues. Had he decided to play in the AHL and subsequently been released he wouldn't have had to pass waivers either. Same situation, but for some reason playing in Europe means that the team that wants you enough to sign you, and you want to play for most, somehow has the least right to do so.

It's a rule intended to keep players from coming over to the NHL mid season. It's all about cap circumvention, to prevent teams from hiding players in Europe and then bringing them over late in the season.

Are you planning to make another heartfelt apology and pledge undying fidelity to Ken Holland once again when the Wings win the Cup once more? And will it hold up for more than nine months this time?

It's not that I don't like Jimmy, but I just believe Nabokov is a better goalie. Besides, I haven't cursed Ken Holland out, I am excited that he signed Nabokov and hope beyond hope that somehow he becomes a Red Wing. Just because I don't like Jimmy as much doesn't mean I owe Holland an apology or a pledge. If Nabby somehow becomes a Red Wing next season, I have a lot of confidence that he will win the starting job from Jimmy. If he doesn't, at least it'll be better competition than McDonald or a seemingly over the hill Osgood.

Guest Heaten

Joey isn't under contract next year but I would send a mid tier prospect and a third round pick.

You might, but no way in hell Holland would give up a mid tier prospect and/or a pick. That's what separates an average fan from one of the best GMs in the game.

It's a rule intended to keep players from coming over to the NHL mid season. It's all about cap circumvention, to prevent teams from hiding players in Europe and then bringing them over late in the season.

Wrong.

If the player is in Europe on loan from an NHL team on an NHL contract, then that player does not have to pass through entry waivers as Nabokov did. He may, however, have to pass through re-entry waivers if he is not waiver exempt. Dick Axelsson is a good example. He has played in Europe the entire season, yet the Wings could call him up right now without having to worry about waivers.