• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

He would be a great fit in Washington, but no way does he drop that far. His deal is so cheap, he's practically free. You'd have to be nuts to pass on him.

I agree, but lets look at all the teams in the waiver order ahead of them (not in order) -

NY Rangers

Montreal

Atlanta

Carolina

Buffalo

Florida

Toronto

Ottawa

NY Islanders

New Jersey

Nashville

Phoenix

Anaheim

Chicago

Colorado

Minnesota

San Jose

St. Louis

Los Angeles

Columbus

Calgary

Edmonton

Who else in that list could claim him outright without then HAVING to carry 3 goalies and/or make a subsequent move?

I agree, but lets look at all the teams in the waiver order ahead of them (not in order) -

NY Rangers

Montreal

Atlanta

Carolina

Buffalo

Florida

Toronto

Ottawa

NY Islanders

New Jersey

Nashville

Phoenix

Anaheim

Chicago

Colorado

Minnesota

San Jose

St. Louis

Los Angeles

Columbus

Calgary

Edmonton

Who else in that list could claim him outright without then HAVING to carry 3 goalies and/or make a subsequent move?

Just a sidenote, but Vancouver and the Flyers both get to claim him also. Because the Wings are the ones that put him on waivers, we're last in the pecking order. Granted its unlikely Vancouver or the Flyers will end up with Nabokov..

Just a sidenote, but Vancouver and the Flyers both get to claim him also. Because the Wings are the ones that put him on waivers, we're last in the pecking order. Granted its unlikely Vancouver or the Flyers will end up with Nabokov..

That is a list of who is ahead of Washington, not us - Please refer back to the post this was in reply to -

Not necessarily, the Capitals are the ones that scare me most in this scenario to be honest, heavy Russian contingent and Neuvirth still is waiver exempt and can be sent down without an issue and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Varlamov is still waiver exempt too...

Plus, both goalies are young and this would be a veteran presence and probably good for Varlamov to learn from, plus they tried to sign him in the off-season but couldn't agree on $$ and isn't one of the 2 of them injured right now anyway?

Edited by stevkrause

Of course they would make a move to make room for him, but why would that be a problem? Waive somebody, send someone to the minors, trade. I could easily see the Isles sending a goalie back to the minors and picking up Nabokov. I could just as easily see the Devils trading Hedberg (or even Brodeur) after getting Nabokov.

Kenny is doing what needs to be done and lets hope it all works out. This team has always carried a veteran seasoned goalie. With Ozzie being down and out for a while, and then Howard being injured for a short time, Kenny started to make the calls.

Is this the best option right now? Yes. Is it going to be an easy goal? No.

It is being done so this team can stay competitive and has extra insurance.

Edited by Rivalred

Of course they would make a move to make room for him, but why would that be a problem? Waive somebody, send someone to the minors, trade. I could easily see the Isles sending a goalie back to the minors and picking up Nabokov. I could just as easily see the Devils trading Hedberg (or even Brodeur) after getting Nabokov.

Both teams would just be doing it to screw the Wings though, any of those bottom feeders claim him and he won't report, so what I think it really comes down to, is teams that have a chance to win that legitimately want/need him, or teams that want to screw us - those are really the only ones we have to worry about...

To put to rest all of the "New Jersey trade conspiracy" ideas:

13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside

North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his

Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs)

only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the

Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or

Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

To put to rest all of the "New Jersey trade conspiracy" ideas:

Well, if this whole fandango did nothing else, it better educated us all on the process of waiver acquisitions from players coming back from Europe and the mid-season signing waiver process as a whole... crazy CBA...

That won't work either, because the misconception that Detroit gets first pick if he reenters waivers is false.

What's happening between now and tomorrow at noon is all interested teams are submitting their name into the hat for Nabby's contract. The NHL then looks over who's interested and pick the team lowest in the standings. If that team decides to reintroduce Nabokov to waivers, then the next team on the list gets first dibs and they work their way up through all the teams that expressed interest. The Detroit Red Wings are last on that list.