• Please log in to reply
1581 replies to this topic

#241 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:23 AM

I still like the theory that Holland's offered NJD a pick for picking up and waiving Nabokov. Gives them a pick they lost in the Kovalchuk deal, gives Detroit what they want in a goalie, and NJD loses absolutely nothing.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#242 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

I still think Ozzie is done, but I agree that Miller is most likely to be the odd man out if it came down to it...

Well, I think we have to look at it in one of two ways. Let's assume the recent articles, that state Osgood is on track for a mid to late March return, are accurate and truthful. How much prep time does that give him? Would he be in game shape come playoffs if we needed to call upon him? Plus, what level of performance would he be capable of?

On the Filppula (flip) side of the coin maybe Osgood wont be ready. Think of the set backs Draper had. Either way Nabokov would provide the insurance at the position. The only roster issue this could create would be having to dump a forward if Osgood was healthy enough to return and we'd have to carry 3 goalies.

As I said, if Osgood, Howard and Nabokov were carried at some point it would be Miller put on waivers (cause we woudlnt be able to trade him - no one to take that trade because they'd know our hands were tied). This of course is assuming we didnt have any more injuries. Of course the Brad Stuart injury (or another) could afford us the chance to keep Miller at that time.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#243 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

If that ended up being the case the Wings would have to move someone else off of their roster to meet the 23 man limit. It would most likely have to be a forward. When the time came and the Wings did in fact carry 3 goalies this would most likely spell the end of Drew Miller's time on the Wings' roster.

Check the link for a sweet take on Nabokov:
WAIVER WIRE MADNESS

:yowza:

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#244 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

I still like the theory that Holland's offered NJD a pick for picking up and waiving Nabokov. Gives them a pick they lost in the Kovalchuk deal, gives Detroit what they want in a goalie, and NJD loses absolutely nothing.

that can't happen.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#245 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

that can't happen.

you've just reminded me that it's taco day at the COOP!

gonna go get me some tacos!

that should burn off the next 30 minutes..
Posted Image

#246 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

that can't happen.

Why couldn't the NJD pick up Nabby and then trade him to the Wings for a draft pick? Unless I am dead wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#247 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

Why couldn't the NJD pick up Nabby and then trade him to the Wings for a draft pick? Unless I am dead wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Because he would have to go through waivers again.

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#248 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

that can't happen.

Because he would have to go through waivers again.

Read exactly what I said. NJD picks up Nabby. NJD waives Nabby. DET has first crack and picks up Nabby. DET gives NJD a pick for some no-name prospect or other, really as thanks for the Nabokov waive.

Edited by Casey, 21 January 2011 - 11:36 AM.

Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#249 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:37 AM

Read exactly what I said. NJD picks up Nabby. NJD waives Nabby. DET has first crack and picks up Nabby. DET gives NJD a pick for some no-name prospect or other, really as thanks for the Nabokov waive.

wings only have first crack if none of the other 28 teams submit a claim during the first waiver.

what are the chances of that?

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#250 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:38 AM

I think it has been said many times. He would have to go back trough the waiver. Then Detroit would have first crack at him if no other team that was in a waiver posistion higher than the wings put in a claim as well the first time around the waiver.

and the league would surley think that the deal was in place before this with NJD and step in and probably wouldn't let them do it.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 21 January 2011 - 11:39 AM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#251 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

wings only have first crack if none of the other 28 teams submit a claim during the first waiver.

what are the chances of that?

Depends on how bad some of the GMs in the league don't want the Wings to have him.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#252 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:40 AM

Waiver Wire Madness

If NJD were to claim him and then try to trade him they would have to first re-expose him to waivers. Every team that put a claim in for him in his first go about through waivers (today) who have a crack at him again + Detroit. During his second go about through waivers the order of waiver precedence would be based on the standings as of that date.

At least that's my understanding.

Edited by mmamolo, 21 January 2011 - 11:41 AM.

#253 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:40 AM

I think it would be good to get Nabby but I'm not going to hold my breath about it. I guess we'll see in 24 hours. I think it's pretty s***ty if a team does claim him. No one wanted him at the start of the season now I understand circumstances change throughout the course of the season but if another team wanted him they should have made the effort to sign him. Now if he does get claimed I just wonder what the Wings next step will be.

#254 evanbartlett

evanbartlett

Prospect

• 32 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:43 AM

How does Detroit get the first crack?

#255 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

I think it would be good to get Nabby but I'm not going to hold my breath about it. I guess we'll see in 24 hours. I think it's pretty s***ty if a team does claim him. No one wanted him at the start of the season now I understand circumstances change throughout the course of the season but if another team wanted him they should have made the effort to sign him. Now if he does get claimed I just wonder what the Wings next step will be.

I know what you're saying but I don't think it's entirely fair to say 'no one wanted him at the beginning of the season.' I think no one wanted him at the price tag he wanted. Not to mention the term he may have been asking for. That's probably why he signed in the KHL.

Had he signed a 1 year deal for $570k I guarentee interest across the league would have been far greater during last summer.

#256 evanbartlett

evanbartlett

Prospect

• 32 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

I know what you're saying but I don't think it's entirely fair to say 'no one wanted him at the beginning of the season.' I think no one wanted him at the price tag he wanted. Not to mention the term he may have been asking for. That's probably why he signed in the KHL.

Had he signed a 1 year deal for $570k I guarentee interest across the league would have been far greater during last summer.

Exactly what I've been telling people. He's an absolute steal at his price tag now.

#257 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:46 AM

A lot of speculation at the moment, but still curious on my folks think Miller is the odd man out. He plays the PK and as of right now, with some of our other PKers out, may not happen
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#258 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:47 AM

Depends on how bad some of the GMs in the league don't want the Wings to have him.

I think its going to come less down to this and more down to who needs goaltending help and for a CHEAP price. The salary cap hit is less than a half million for the rest of the season. This for a guy who took his team to the conference finals last year. His numbers are solid. Hell, some backups get paid more than Nabby is going to be getting paid.

My bet is that he won't clear waivers. Someone will take him that needs the help in goal.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#259 redwingmachine

redwingmachine

3rd Line Checker

• Gold Booster
  • 381 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

What is going to be the best news source for this?

I am not going to be able to get any work done today.

#260 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:49 AM

Wow.. Nabokov is a Wing for a cup of coffee and it get s 13 page thread? Before he is even (or ever going to be) a Red Wing.

hmm I feel cheated... Here I am going nuts on Twitter pages and things and I know in my mind that he won't be a Red Wing...
so Why am I checking sites like I am crazed with this notion that Nabokov will wear a winged wheel? :ranting:

on the other hand....It's great drama :yowza:

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan, 21 January 2011 - 11:49 AM.