• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

Rule 18.18b

A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a Player, whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim. A no-move clause, however, may not restrict the Club's buy-out and termination rights as set forth in this Agreement. Prior to exercising its Ordinary Course Buy-Out rights pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC hereof, the Club shall, in writing in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, provide the Player with the option of electing to be placed on Waivers. The Player will have twenty-four (24) hours from the time he receives such notice to accept or reject that option at his sole discretion, and shall so inform the Club in writing, in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, within such twenty-four (24) hour period. If the Player does not timely accept or reject that option, it will be deemed rejected.

>mfw

32.jpg

Wait..... what?????

This doesn't seem right. Why haven't we ever heard of a player rejecting being picked up off waivers before?

So wait, let me see if I'm getting this right...theoretically, Nabby could just say "No thanks" to any team that claims him, right up until the end when Detroit is the last team standing...at which point he says, "Okay, I'm cool with this claim"? I mean, if this interpretation of the CBA is correct.

I think it means if team X claims him, he can say no thank you and goes back on the FA market and this whole things starts all over again.

The NMC in his contract is the reason why I think he'll be a Wing, plus his agent's email also leads me to believe he's coming here. Then we have to hear from all the other teams that the Wings got a 40 win goalie for less than peanuts.

Wait..... what?????

This doesn't seem right. Why haven't we ever heard of a player rejecting being picked up off waivers before?

Probably because they didn't have a NMC?

I have no clue. This just seems like a monumental aspect of the CBA that I would have imagined someone would have utilized in some capacity already.

Kenny > Lou.

Like I said, if this does pan out due to Rule 18.18b, that's just pure genius...and something that will CLEARLY be changed in the next CBA. :lol:

I think it means if team X claims him, he can say no thank you and goes back on the FA market and this whole things starts all over again.

The NMC in his contract is the reason why I think he'll be a Wing, plus his agent's email also leads me to believe he's coming here. Then we have to hear from all the other teams that the Wings got a 40 win goalie for less than peanuts.

So team X decides to claim him. Nabby says piss off and becomes a free agent again. Wings sign him to the same deal and we go through the waiver wire rodeo again. Meanwhile, his agent is taking names of the teams that claim him and in the long run plans to screw them over with another FA down the line. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

It sounds plausible, but I reallyyyyyyy don't want to get my hopes up.

So team X decides to claim him. Nabby says piss off and becomes a free agent again. Wings sign him to the same deal and we go through the waiver wire rodeo again. Meanwhile, his agent is taking names of the teams that claim him and in the long run plans to screw them over with another FA down the line. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

It sounds plausible, but I reallyyyyyyy don't want to get my hopes up.

If Nabokov gets claimed and doesnt report he does NOT become a UFA again. He would be in breach of his contract and the team would most likely suspend him without pay at which point Nabokov sits at home for the rest of the year. The only way he becomes a UFA again is if that team decides to release him which they would gain no benefit from doing.

If Nabokov gets claimed and doesnt report he does NOT become a UFA again. He would be in breach of his contract and the team would most likely suspend him without pay at which point Nabokov sits at home for the rest of the year. The only way he becomes a UFA again is if that team decides to release him which they would gain no benefit from doing.

But if a team claims him that he doesn't want to play for, the NMC refers to that as "involuntary relocation", which is prevented by the CBA. In essence, if Nabokov only wants to play for Detroit, any other team that claims Nabokov that isn't Detroit would technically be violating the CBA. At least according to that Rule 18.18b.

lol I told myself yesterday I was done speculating on this but this post gives me hope again

post from Hfboards:

Originally Posted by danishh viewpost.gif yeah, just checked article 11 for clarity, but none.

'league outside NA' is only referenced in 13.23, and there it is worded "cannot play". Technically speaking, as KDB clarified, the spc is in effect, but nabby cannot play until after waivers.

NMC wording is ambiguous in the CBA. It says a player can block movement by 'waiver claim'. Literally speaking, the player can be placed on waivers involuntarily, but may reject the move once claimed.

this may actually be kenny's loophole.

Yea you would have to think that this is a little different when a guy gets sent down to the minors but has to clear waivers first, Nabokov is a free agent here.

not sure if this has been posted...

The Hockey news’s Ken Campbell says the Nabokov deal’s worth $750,000, or a pro-rated $242,000. And why didn’t the Wings bring up McCollum instead of Pearce? McCollum’s sore but not broken right index finger is still too tender to grip a stick.

But if a team claims him that he doesn't want to play for, the NMC refers to that as "involuntary relocation", which is prevented by the CBA. In essence, if Nabokov only wants to play for Detroit, any other team that claims Nabokov that isn't Detroit would technically be violating the CBA. At least according to that Rule 18.18b.

I call BS on that.

That was my thought too. Well not BS, just misinterpretation.

I've put a message in to Bob McKenzie to see what he thinks about that clause. I find it hard to believe it would be something that seemingly-innocuous that could guarantee us a cheap Nabby, but who knows?

Are there any stories that include a quote from Nabokov what he feels about the situation? As far as I know, he's never stated his desire to only play for Detroit. Unless I've missed something, I've yet to hear anything from the man himself about the whole thing.

well i think the whole signing with Detroit proves that he wants to play here...again i dont see us doing nabby and his agent a favor like that just to get him back into the nhl unless there was more to it. and i dont' see holland doing this knowing that 99% positive he would not make it through the waiver unless there is something in the rules that we are missing or not reading right.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan