• Please log in to reply
1581 replies to this topic

#401 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

But there are 30 teams in the NHL. So Philly and Vancouver don't get a chance to claim him? That doesn't make any sense to me. Like I said if NJ had signed him, then he wouldn't have ever gone on waivers?

Posted Image Woops.... There has been so much info toss around these boards the last 2 days that I read somewhere that starting yesterday that 27 teams would now have a shot at him. LOL who even knows with all the armchair gm talk. My bad fellow Hank fan Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#402 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

Philly and Vancouver do get a chance... EVERY team gets a chance to claim him. OT doesn't matter the Red Wings place in the standings, remove them rank the other 29 teams opposite the standings and that's the waiver order.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#403 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

Posted Image Woops.... There has been so much info toss around these boards the last 2 days that I read somewhere that starting yesterday that 27 teams would now have a shot at him. LOL who even knows with all the armchair gm talk. My bad fellow Hank fan Posted Image

haha no worries. I think there was the same confusion yesterday.

#404 IceMunkee

IceMunkee

Gangster-ish

• HoF Booster
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:25 PM

I would assume GM's are taking the fact that he WANTS to play for the wings. I mean this is a pivatol position and if he might not want to play for them???
www.thedscene.com
@Gay4Datsyuk
Check It Out!

#405 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:25 PM

Nah, there are 27 other teams ahead of us. With NJ not taking him that still leaves the other 26. So yes. Fixed. Thanks.

Just because there are teams behind us in the waiver order, that doesn't mean they don't have a shot at claiming a player. Basically, when the waiver order is compiled, they essentially just list the reverse standings and take the Wings out of the list. So yes, all 29 teams get a shot
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#406 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

Philly and Vancouver do get a chance... EVERY team gets a chance to claim him. OT doesn't matter the Red Wings place in the standings, remove them rank the other 29 teams opposite the standings and that's the waiver order.

Appreciate the clarification. I suck at GM mode on NHL '11 Posted Image

Just because there are teams behind us in the waiver order, that doesn't mean they don't have a shot at claiming a player. Basically, when the waiver order is compiled, they essentially just list the reverse standings and take the Wings out of the list. So yes, all 29 teams get a shot

Posted Image Got it now. I shall take a step back now Posted Image

#407 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

The three teams I'm most worried about are Colorado, San Jose, and (for some reason) Chicago.

In other coming back to the NHL news....per Darren Dreger

Forsberg will skate with the Avs. He doesn't have to clear waivers if he signs because he didn't play in Euro this year.

-15-
Posted Image

#408 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

The three teams I'm most worried about are Colorado, San Jose, and (for some reason) Chicago.

Link?

Nevermind, just seen the other thread... sorry

Edited by Rivalred, 21 January 2011 - 04:34 PM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#409 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:34 PM

Just got a text from ESPN with the same info that Dreger is reporting. Silly Floppa.

#410 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,568 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

Okay, so I just got home from work, checked out the last few pages. It appears to me that Rule 11.8B is an open-shut case. It's very clearly worded, but the fact that so few people are picking up on it makes me wonder if I'm missing something obvious.

Basically. Rule 11.8B says that if Nabakov wants to play for Detroit and no one else, no one else can claim him.

Ergo...all the "ifs" have now been broken down to one: Does Nabakov want to play for Detroit and no one else?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#411 Selliria

Selliria

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

I have this feeling that Kenny has devised some kind of intricate scheme... and that it's going to work out exactly the way he wants it to.

Otherwise, this just doesn't make any sense.

#412 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

Ok so the general hypothesis is that this process started right after Jimmy got hit in the knee. after they found out he was fine they decided to keep negotiating.

#413 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

I assume they meant "season" and not "year", because Nabokov hasn't played overseas this year either.

#414 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:43 PM

Okay, so I just got home from work, checked out the last few pages. It appears to me that Rule 11.8B is an open-shut case. It's very clearly worded, but the fact that so few people are picking up on it makes me wonder if I'm missing something obvious.

Basically. Rule 11.8B says that if Nabakov wants to play for Detroit and no one else, no one else can claim him.

Ergo...all the "ifs" have now been broken down to one: Does Nabakov want to play for Detroit and no one else?

There has to be something to that NMC that pertains to after the waiver claim. Like you can't trade him or put him on waivers after you have claimed him, in the same fashion a NMC would work if you had signed him in the offseason. That makes the most sense to me.

#415 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

Ok so the general hypothesis is that this process started right after Jimmy got hit in the knee. after they found out he was fine they decided to keep negotiating.

Which tells me Kenny either has little confidence in A. Ozzie being able to recover on time, or B. Jimmy's ability to carry the team in the postseason
-15-
Posted Image

#416 IceMunkee

IceMunkee

Gangster-ish

• HoF Booster
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

What rule book are you reading? If that were true he would be signed and not have to wait until he clears waivers where every team has an oppurtunity to sign him.
www.thedscene.com
@Gay4Datsyuk
Check It Out!

#417 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

I feel that IF no one can spell his name correctly, then by that logic he should not come here.. Posted Image

#418 IceMunkee

IceMunkee

Gangster-ish

• HoF Booster
  • 1,261 posts

Which tells me Kenny either has little confidence in A. Ozzie being able to recover on time, or B. Jimmy's ability to carry the team in the postseason

I think it is safe to assume both things are an issue.
www.thedscene.com
@Gay4Datsyuk
Check It Out!

#419 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

I see it as cheap but pretty damn good insurance.
1. You don't know what Ozzie's shape will be being off the ice for 6-8 weeks after a sports hernia surgery. What if he can't move in a certain way ...
2. Jimmy can perform in the playoffs, he did great last year but we lost in 2nd round. If he plays again this year, he will just get more mature and I think he has a good head on his shoulder. Don't know if he can take us all the way but people like Halak, Lehtonen, Niemi were the goalies that stood on their heads so anything can happen.

BUT having someone like Nabby in the bullpen if Jimmy does get the jitters or injures himself from now till playoffs is just good prudent decision. If anything, it shows Kenny doesn't have a lot of confidence in Joey MacDonald to either back up Jimmy or go to bat in case Jimmy goes down. For $250K to cover all those bases ... what a steal! I'm kinda surprised Nabby signed for so cheap but then he's probably still laughing to the bank with his $6 mill last year.

Edited by RedWingsRox, 21 January 2011 - 04:53 PM.

#420 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

I see it as cheap but pretty damn good insurance.
1. You don't know what Ozzie's shape will be being off the ice for 6-8 weeks after a sports hernia surgery. What if he can't move in a certain way ...
2. Jimmy can perform in the playoffs, he did great last year but we lost in 2nd round. If he plays again this year, he will just get more mature and I think he has a good head on his shoulder. Don't know if he can take us all the way but people like Halak, Lehtonen, Niemi were the goalies that stood on their heads so anything can happen.

BUT having someone like Nabby in the bullpen if Jimmy does get the jitters or injures himself from now till playoffs ... if anything it shows we don't have a lot of confidence in Joey MacDonald to either back up Jimmy or go to bat in case Jimmy goes down. Covering all bases.

I hope it lites a fire under his @rse
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1