• Please log in to reply
1581 replies to this topic

#621 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:11 AM

Bob Mackenzie just tweeted that he thinks the Isles are the favorite to claim Nabby.

Why would they claim him? They need a draft pick, not goaltending.

Posted Image

#622 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

I think it is to prevent a team from getting a cheap (pro-rated) player for half a season.

Say that Bob Forward (fictional player) played for the Fighting Hamsters, but they didn't have enough cap space to meet his $4m/season demands. They only had $2m. If they just didn't sign him and he, as a free agent went to Uganda to play with the Galumphing Turtles for their season (which ends in January) for $3m, and then signed with the Hamsters for $4m (but since half of the season was over, it would only cost them $2m), he'd get $5m, and the Hamsters would get a $4m player for half price for the rest of the season and the playoffs. It gets them in under the cap, but his value is more than that so it circumvents the cap.

At least that's how I understand it. Hopefully if there's more to it, someone else will chime in.

yeah, pretty much. Keeps teams from hiding players overseas so they can sign them later for cheaper.

#623 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

if the isles claim him it would be just the latest in a long line of mentally retarded moves
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#624 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

if we do get nabokov, bettman will say its unfair and try to steal one of our draft picks. lol.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#625 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

Like I said before, what a letdown it would be for Nabokov to think that he's going to the Wings and then get claimed by the Islanders.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#626 Off the Post

Off the Post

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

Nabby better be a wing by 12..

#627 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

Only about 40 more minutes left to wait... Please Hockey Gods, just let him become a Red Wing!

Like I said before, what a letdown it would be for Nabokov to think that he's going to the Wings and then get claimed by the Islanders.

I read something last night that said Nabby will refuse to report to a bottom-feeding team. If the Islanders do claim him, he will bow out and just wait till next season to play. And since it seems like he wants to be with the Red Wings, I would assume he'll just sign with us in the offseason as a free agent.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#628 Hutts11

Hutts11

Prospect

• 46 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

I could totally see Nabby say screw it and go back to Russia if he is picked up by the Islanders. It's like playing for Chicago, why would anyone want to do that!?

#629 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

Bob Mackenzie just tweeted that he thinks the Isles are the favorite to claim Nabby.
Twitter

Shut up Bob! Stop being so credible!

#630 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

I think that has been Kenny's agenda all along. He took the risk of signing Nabby now, knowing other teams could claim him, and if we get him now then great, if not we will get him in the offseason. Kenny, out of all 29 other GM's in the league, took the initiative to go out and sign him and bring him back to the NHL like he wanted, so I foresee Kenny signing Nabby in the off-season if he is no longer ours today ... but here is to hoping he is ours because Jimmy is NOT cutting it in net; With Nabby the Wings will officially be stacked in all aspects of the game

#631 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,917 posts

His agent said that he would not opt out of the contract.

Of course, he might not have given thought to it being the Islanders...

#632 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

cheechoo :hehe:

Bless you! :P

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#633 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

Only about 40 more minutes left to wait... Please Hockey Gods, just let him become a Red Wing!

I read something last night that said Nabby will refuse to report to a bottom-feeding team. If the Islanders do claim him, he will bow out and just wait till next season to play. And since it seems like he wants to be with the Red Wings, I would assume he'll just sign with us in the offseason as a free agent.

...and that's the beauty of this scenario. Quite possibly the thing that will dissuade teams from picking him up.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#634 Selliria

Selliria

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

This suspense is killing me.

#635 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

anyone else watching each minute by minute go by ? :hehe:

Edited by darkmanx, 22 January 2011 - 11:28 AM.

#636 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:30 AM

Why would the Islanders claim him when they had an old goaltender in Roloson (and dealt him to Tampa) and they are tanking anyway?

Posted Image

#637 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

You can always watch WingSpan while you wait....since it is on.

Your any-time FSD online source, with pre and post game coverage along with any Red Wings specials.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#638 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

I was...... I gave up. He won't be a Wing...

I still do not see what the point of this excercise was... to prove that like St. Louis we too can get
the shaft from the waiver process?

I will be puzzled about this for a loooooooong time

#639 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Why would the Islanders claim him when they had an old goaltender in Roloson (and dealt him to Tampa) and they are tanking anyway?

they have a injured goaltender as of yesterday now and first round draft picks aren't work for them anymore, they still fail after 5 lottery picks in a row. :ph34r:

#640 Hutts11

Hutts11

Prospect

• 46 posts

Yep! it needs to go by faster!