• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

Flip the situation. If we had been the team to claim him, I doubt you'd have the same view.

It's not fair, It wasn't fair when the blues (A team I can't stand) lost two players to waivers back to back. It made even less sense given that he was a free agent. Like if he was contracted to a euro team I'd get that, but he played not even half a season, then had his contract terminated.

But this makes no friggin sense. The Islanders will not make the playoffs but they are going to use a 35 year old goalie who they will lose in 3 months instead of letting one of the youngsters develop?

Really what good would putting a young goaltender in to get blown out every night do? Common thought is that letting goalies get rocked destroys their confidence.

This makes a lot of sense to me, put in an all star goalie to try and get some ticket sales. They should be able to make more than 250k off of him.

Is it entirely possible that Ken Holland KNEW he didn't have a chance to get Nabby once he hit the waiver wire? Isn't it possible that a deal with another team was in place BEFORE the Wings made the deal with Nabokov? Obviously, it might not have worked out in the long run, but I imagine, an Eastern Conference team with no playoff-prospects (Islanders) OWING Ken Holland a favor come trade-deadline time, just might be a VERY good thing. Ken Holland is one very savvy guy...

Just my nickel's worth....

Sorry, your retarded signature mesmorized me and caused me to leave out the word "pay" after determines.

So your sentence was suppose to say, "First and foremost, the contract type (1-way or 2-way) determines PAY if a player can be sent to the AHL." Yeah thats definitely a coherent sentence. LOL Just admit you got your facts wrong after you put down other posters that did the same thing.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings

Let the Isles have him... he is probably a little Rusty...

This could work out great for us...

His stats might not be that good = Lower Price next season

He will def. want to get out of Long Island = He will make it to UFA

His agent kinda owes us and we already know he wants to play in Detroit and no other team would give him a shot = We have a leg up come Free Agency

With Osgood aging and his groin and injuries currently and him being the last of the 97 and 98 cup runs he might be retiring next year.. (also with the 400 wins under his belt)

I think that a 1A and 1B tandem of Howard and Nabokov would do this team wonders next season... Yes might frustrate Jimmy a lil but until he proves he can solely carry the load then we need a capable back up... Nabby is that and more...

crash

Is it entirely possible that Ken Holland KNEW he didn't have a chance to get Nabby once he hit the waiver wire? Isn't it possible that a deal with another team was in place BEFORE the Wings made the deal with Nabokov? Obviously, it might not have worked out in the long run, but I imagine, an Eastern Conference team with no playoff-prospects (Islanders) OWING Ken Holland a favor come trade-deadline time, just might be a VERY good thing. Ken Holland is one very savvy guy...

I think the biggest favor, if there was one intended at all, was getting Nabokov back in the NHL. I mean he will be a free agent this summer.

Im not sure we want anything from the islanders come deadline time lol, and anything worthwhile on that team wont be traded(tavares).

It's not fair, It wasn't fair when the blues (A team I can't stand) lost two players to waivers back to back. It made even less sense given that he was a free agent. Like if he was contracted to a euro team I'd get that, but he played not even half a season, then had his contract terminated.

Agreed but the two Blues players both went to teams in the playoff hunt. The Islanders though? I'll bet Nabby is not happy.

More I think of this, the more I think it was shrewed by everyone involved. The Islanders do nothing more than try to boost ticket sales.

However, Holland knows that this will make all the players in the league notice how bad we want to win a cup and how much players are willing to sacrifice to come here.

It makes a powerful agent happy because he was the only GM willing to go through this waiver embarrassment to get Nabs a job.

It makes Howard notice that there is a ton more pressure on him and lets us see if he will respond.

It highlights what has happened to St. Louis with Svatos and creates a bit of good will with some of the GM's, while making some rivals scramble to figure out what to do in response.

I think they knew that, for all the effort of negotiating, they were not going to get him but the worst case scenario would be that they DID get him.

The only thing hurt in Detroit by this situation is our pride.

Holland doesn't seem to mind, and I bet money the players and fans do a bit. Maybe this is motivational psychology 901. PhD for Kenny.

It isn't fair to us or him, but the rule is clearly in place to punish him for not putting his chips in with the NHL in the first place. It hurt us this time, but would you have wanted Hudler to have left for the KHL only to return by signing with the Penguins???

Wait... no, I DIDN'T BRING THAT UP!!! AHHHHH! *ducks and covers*

also, I know Hudler was never a free agent so this doesn't apply. Just pointing out the absurdity that players can leave the league and come as they please. That is why the rule is in place folks.

I think there has to be something more to all of this, which is why I am quoting myself. I think we should be talking about that more than if it is fair or not. The waiver rules could have their own thread but I still say that the point is to make sure players don't take advantage of the transfer agreements.

It is a crummy rule, but would you rather let players go make more money from the KHL and return every season to the top playoff teams at the trade deadline and throw everything off?

Imagine every European in the league leaving and then coming back in march. and trying to sign with the Caps, Pens, and Hawks. Wouldn't that upset you?

EDIT: also how did that font get so big?

Edited by Majsheppard

Perfect... When Okposo wants off of the Isle... he could Owe us lol...

We all know Nabby would never sign with the islanders by choice... soooo Maybe this was a way to get them a goalie... and help us down the road

What i don't understand is if they didn't want there young goalies in the net... why did they trade Roloson???

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/01/islanders_claim_evgeni_nabokov.html

"We tried something, Holland said Saturday. "There was a huge opportunity when you get to sign a player and there's no acquisition fee, you don't have to trade anybody, give up any prospects and it's a low base salary. You never know if it's going to work until you try it."

There is virtually no way for the Red Wings to land Nabokov this season. He has a no-trade clause in the contract he signed with Detroit. If he agrees to waive it, he must first pass through waivers again. And the other teams that put in a claim for him today (it's uncertain how many there were) would get priority. Even on the odd chance that no other team put in a claim for him, the Red Wings would get no preferred status if he goes back on waivers.

Holland said he'll continue to explore opportunities but isn't specifically seeking a goalie. Osgood is expected to return in early to mid-March after having sports hernia surgery on Jan. 11.

"I didn't make the move because I was concerned about our goaltending or Chris Osgood's health,'' Holland said. "We were exploring a unique opportunity.

Holland said Joey MacDonald, who was assigned on Friday to the Grand Rapids Griffins in case Nabokov cleared, will return to Detroit this week and back-up Howard until Osgood is healthy. Jordan Pearce, who was recalled to back-up Howard for today's game against Chicago, will go back down.

The Islanders were need of a goalie after rookie Nathan Lawson suffered a knee injury during Friday's game against Buffalo. Oft-injured Rick DiPietro missed the game with the flu, leaving rookie Kevin Poulin to finish the game.

[/Quote]

I wonder if Ken is just setting up for a post season rule change? Both of the St. Louis sign and claims and then this.

Could Shanahan help with this? I don't know how much clout he might have.

I think there has to be something more to all of this, which is why I am quoting myself. I think we should be talking about that more than if it is fair or not. The waiver rules could have their own thread but I still say that the point is to make sure players don't take advantage of the transfer agreements.

It is a crummy rule, but would you rather let players go make more money from the KHL and return every season to the top playoff teams at the trade deadline and throw everything off?

Imagine every European in the league leaving and then coming back in march. and trying to sign with the Caps, Pens, and Hawks. Wouldn't that upset you?

Yes, but those playoff bound NHL teams would still have to have money/cap space to buy those expensive KHL star players wouldn't they?

esteef

Every team should be allowed to sign any free agent up to the trade deadline for whatever price they want as long as they are under the cap and they pay at least the minimum. This includes the teams I hate. This waiver crap is just stupid.

No Movement clause... 11.8b comes into play if he demands a trade.... to a list of teams...only Being Detroit? yes - no ?

Probably not But I thought Id try and get a little perspective.

nevermind <_<

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

He's gone guys. We are all experts of the CBA, NMC's, NTC's, ABC's, and 123's. So, on to having a large amount of Molsons and rooting for the goalie that we do have. Lets go Wings.

(44 pages and counting people hard up for contract s*** haha amazing)

Yea but he made $6M last year. We won't have alot of cap space this summer even if Nick retires.

Right but there's no way he even makes close to that much next season. NHL GM's made him aware that he wasn't worth what he thought he was. I really don't know what he'll try to get this offseason, but I can't imagine it'd be anything more than 2 mil given what went on this season.

Yea but he made $6M last year. We won't have alot of cap space this summer even if Nick retires.

Well this can work for or against Nabokov. He knows that last time he priced himself out of the NHL but with a lower cap hit people are willing to give him a chance.

With the Islanders claiming him I guess they finally see the truth in that DiPietro isn't their savior and are in need of a true #1. Good luck with that drama Nabokov for the rest of the season.

He's gone guys. We are all experts of the CBA, NMC's, NTC's, ABC's, and 123's. So, on to having a large amount of Molsons and rooting for the goalie that we do have. Lets go Wings.

(44 pages and counting people hard up for contract s*** haha amazing)

Considering it took the media a couple of days to make sense of the rules themselves I say we did pretty good on assumptions. :P

Edited by dragonballgtz

Perfect... When Okposo wants off of the Isle... he could Owe us lol...

We all know Nabby would never sign with the islanders by choice... soooo Maybe this was a way to get them a goalie... and help us down the road

What i don't understand is if they didn't want there young goalies in the net... why did they trade Roloson???

Nabokov at 570,000 or Roloson at $2.5 million. ...but at that point of trading Rolly they were thinking that DiPietro/Lawson/Poulin would be adequate.

(Why they thought that was okay is beyond me, but not to the point.) Once Lawson went down with an injury it left DP and Poulin, and while Poulin played well... Snow actually wants him to get more AHL experience before he's up full time with the Isle.

Even if Nabokov plays out of his frigging mind for the Isle, and Detroit decides to sign him in the off-season, there's no way he's making close to what he used to. No way.

...and if he does, it certainly won't be in Detroit.

Note: I'm not convinced Detroit will try to sign him in the off-season, there will be other options available then. As Ken Holland said, it was a unique opportunity. Someone was going to take a shot at Nabby, so why not us. We didn't get him, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. It may have bought us some favor in the future with either the Islanders or with Nabokov's agent. Either way, we won't know until the trade deadline, but more than likely, the offseason.

Edited by e_prime