• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

Rate this topic

yeah, a clause like that would seem kind of fishy.

ps. i would rather see Nabby end up out East than with the currently hapless Sharks.

pss. if he clears, this means Ozzie is obviously done.

there must be something more to this...

from what I understood, a claiming team cannot stash Nabby to the AHL because of the NMC. so that would be a huge deterrent, right?

Well were talking about Evgeni Nabokov. What are the odds that a team would even want to put him in the AHL? The main deterrent from what I've gathered is the fact that he pretty much has to take up a roster space if he is claimed, which means that whatever team that picks him up will have 3 goaltenders dressed each night unless/until the old number 1 or 2 are traded away.

To clarify something I have seen throughout the thread, Nabokov cannot be placed on waivers until noon on Friday, so we will not officially know that he is claimed until noon Saturday.

that's a deadline for team to claim him... if he is claimed it would be all over this board and TSN and NHL.com

Yes.

Or NJD claims him and the Wings offer to trade future considerations for him. NJDs agree to it and we get Nabby off waivers and the future considerations would be under the table cash for agreeing to trade Nabby.

But if he was traded to us he would be exposed to waivers again, or just the teams that made claims on him, correct?

But if he was traded to us he would be exposed to waivers again, or just the teams that made claims on him, correct?

he would not have to be traded to us.. He has to be put on waivers first and we can claim him out right as far as I understand

he comes back to us At least thats how I understand the "Waiver" thing

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

from what I understood, a claiming team cannot stash Nabby to the AHL because of the NMC. so that would be a huge deterrent, right?

I would have put a clause in his contract that states "If i am waived and claimed then my contract multiplies by ten." :P

Well were talking about Evgeni Nabokov. What are the odds that a team would even want to put him in the AHL? The main deterrent from what I've gathered is the fact that he pretty much has to take up a roster space if he is claimed, which means that whatever team that picks him up will have 3 goaltenders dressed each night unless/until the old number 1 or 2 are traded away.

thats enough deterrent for me... otherwise bottom feeder teams with some roster space would obviously claim him to see if he were still any good. if not, just waive him again. it simply cannot be that easy, scott-free and simple... could it??

The waiver rule itself covers that a player cannot be placed in the AHL after they have signed a contract after December 15, when starting the season outside of North America. The NMC just ensures that Nabokov has control over where he can end up, which might deter some teams from grabbing him.

Regardless of who he would be traded to, nabby would go back on waivers and at THAT point, we get first choice. So it would be logical to trade with us since we get first pick AND we want him.

If this in any way turns into a situation where Nabokov is actually a Wing, what I'm hearing is that the Wings are not happy with Howard and he's unlikely to get much of a raise next year if even he returns at all. It would be a bit of a bulls*** move if you ask me. I know Jimmy hasn't been playing well this year, but I think that's largely due to mismanagement of his development over the last year. It just seems lame to set him up to fall apart and then to seemingly give up on him when he does indeed fall apart. It's one thing with Osgood as there's a relationship and support system installed already whereas it's clear that Nabokov would be coming in because we've got a mess on our hands right now. Even if it's just to try and push Howard, it just seems like a dumb move. Granted, who knows what's really going on, but something about this whole thing is fishy to me.

I would have put a clause in his contract that states "If i am waived and claimed then my contract multiplies by ten." :P

a dastardly thing, which i'm positive cannot exist in the NHL are those poison-pill clauses. analagous to Les Miles with LSU... if he were to sign with specifically Michigan the buyout clause would be $$$$ dollars.

Not true. You are going off the assumption that neither goalie 1 or 2 have minor league options left.

center ice ferry tell you that?=)

No, no. I was flipping through and landed on Nash/Col and both feeds were discussing the "Goalie Contreversy" we were having. Their words. Both feeds mentioned that he will be going through waivers and neither channel claimed any interest their teams would have. So it is completely hear say but I am currently watching the Dalls game to see if there is an interest. It is not a perfect plans but it can help.

he would not have to be traded to us.. He has to be put on waivers first and we can claim him out right as far as I understand

Yes, if he gets traded to another team we get first dibs but the team he would be getting traded to would obviously know that. So from what I see is whatever team picks him up (x) and whatever team he gets traded to (y) have to be in on this with us. So team x claims him off waivers, trades him to team y for "future considerations", and we get him back. Kind of farfetched, and although possible I doubt that would happen, who would want to help make our team better anyways? More realistically I see this as a way to get Nabby back in to the NHL and do his agent a favor. If we end up with him I won't mind one bit, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

For the people who think Osgood is gone for the rest of the year, think of this. Groin injuries are tough for hockey players, especially goalies. Osgood is predicted to start playing again around early March. He will not be in game shape, then. It will take some time for him to get back up to speed. Picking up Nabokov allows Osgood more time to get ready and provides some veteran presence for a group of mostly young guys in the system, while Osgood is away healing.

Just a thought, but what if these pretzel type theories come about like this:

Some team claims him. They decide to trade him and Detroit claims him back. We use Nabby until the trade deadline, and then trade Nabby back to the team that originally claimed him.

I get all mixed up with waivers and trades and such, so I might have the rules all wrong. Whatever the case might be, Kenny is a genius no matter how this ends.

Not true. You are going off the assumption that neither goalie 1 or 2 have minor league options left.

Or, that the team doesn't mind just waiving one of their goalies, even though he has no more waiver options left.

Yes, if he gets traded to another team we get first dibs but the team he would be getting traded to would obviously know that. So from what I see is whatever team picks him up (x) and whatever team he gets traded to (y) have to be in on this with us. So team x claims him off waivers, trades him to team y for "future considerations", and we get him back. Kind of farfetched, and although possible I doubt that would happen, who would want to help make our team better anyways? More realistically I see this as a way to get Nabby back in to the NHL and do his agent a favor. If we end up with him I won't mind one bit, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Or team x trades with the Wings knowing they'll get him anyway and have better trade bait.

esteef

Just a thought, but what if these pretzel type theories come about like this:

Some team claims him. They decide to trade him and Detroit claims him back. We use Nabby until the trade deadline, and then trade Nabby back to the team that originally claimed him.

I get all mixed up with waivers and trades and such, so I might have the rules all wrong. Whatever the case might be, Kenny is a genius no matter how this ends.

You had me at Pretzel.

For the people who think Osgood is gone for the rest of the year, think of this. Groin injuries are tough for hockey players, especially goalies. Osgood is predicted to start playing again around early March. He will not be in game shape, then. It will take some time for him to get back up to speed. Picking up Nabokov allows Osgood more time to get ready and provides some veteran presence for a group of mostly young guys in the system, while Osgood is away healing.

So... in this scenario, should we end up with Nabby, he simply gets waived if Ozzie gets healthy? That sounds like a no-lose situation especially with that cheap contract.

Great post on HFboards:

Actually' date=' I don't think the Wings are looking for circumvention. The conditions are rules are very specific and all the GM's know and understand the rules.

I think the points that we are overlooking here specifically was how the Wings structured the deal, and what Meehan publicly stated to all the of NHL teams.

The Wings specifically placed in a No Movement Clause so once a team acquires Nabokov, he cannot be moved, waived, traded, etc. without his approval. Additionally, he is ineligible for the AHL. So when a team makes a claim, they are stuck with him on their 23-man roster for the remainder of the season.

Additionally, Meehan specifically laid out of warning to all of the other NHL franchises and I'm sure his wording was very careful - "wants to compete as a starter".

So the question at this point would be, do you take a swing at a goaltender with the potential pitfalls:

1) You haven't seen him play in over 8 months

2) There is a chance he may not report at all if he disagrees with the situation

3) If claimed, he must be on the roster and we cannot move him at all

4) He explicitly states he expects to "compete with the starter" meaning, if we bury him in the press box he will be disgruntled and could prove to be a point of contention/distraction/etc.

The Wings did all they could contractually and politically to make him less attractive.

They waited till late Thursday night to shorten the claim period. They put in a No Move to prevent other teams from expelling or moving him off of the 23 man roster. The agent of the player made a veiled threat.

I'm not sure if this is the right course of action but it is apparent that it isn't as simple as "Someone will screw the Wings", because the run the risk of acquiring an asset they don't need and potentially bring in a unpredictable variable into the locker room.[/quote']

Great post on HFboards:

"Actually, I don't think the Wings are looking for circumvention. The conditions are rules are very specific and all the GM's know and understand the rules.

I think the points that we are overlooking here specifically was how the Wings structured the deal, and what Meehan publicly stated to all the of NHL teams.

The Wings specifically placed in a No Movement Clause so once a team acquires Nabokov, he cannot be moved, waived, traded, etc. without his approval. Additionally, he is ineligible for the AHL. So when a team makes a claim, they are stuck with him on their 23-man roster for the remainder of the season.

Additionally, Meehan specifically laid out of warning to all of the other NHL franchises and I'm sure his wording was very careful - "wants to compete as a starter".

So the question at this point would be, do you take a swing at a goaltender with the potential pitfalls:

1) You haven't seen him play in over 8 months

2) There is a chance he may not report at all if he disagrees with the situation

3) If claimed, he must be on the roster and we cannot move him at all

4) He explicitly states he expects to "compete with the starter" meaning, if we bury him in the press box he will be disgruntled and could prove to be a point of contention/distraction/etc.

The Wings did all they could contractually and politically to make him less attractive.

They waited till late Thursday night to shorten the claim period. They put in a No Move to prevent other teams from expelling or moving him off of the 23 man roster. The agent of the player made a veiled threat.

I'm not sure if this is the right course of action but it is apparent that it isn't as simple as "Someone will screw the Wings", because they run the risk of acquiring an asset they don't need and potentially bringing in an unpredictable variable into the locker room.

"

esteef

Edited by esteef