• Please log in to reply
1581 replies to this topic

#1101 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:15 AM

Where the player is in his career is significant. Rookie hoping for a long and successful NHL career has a different set of options compared to a veteran player who is few years removed from retirement (and did not waste all the money he earned). Veteran player can afford to play because he wants to not because he has to. It appears that Nabokov does not want to play for Islanders and they do not have the leverage to make him. Why would they want disgruntled employee anyway?

Then he shouldn't of priced himself out of the NHL. If he wanted to stay in the NHL from the get go he knew that GMs didn't want to pay him what he was asking for and he didn't want to drop his price tag. So what happens he goes over to Russia doesn't want to play there any more because of family issues (that's fine family is important). But now he has to clear waivers and is not in 100% control of his team selection, tough! If it was so important for him to win the Cup he would of taken less money to stay in the NHL with a contender

Edited by dragonballgtz, 23 January 2011 - 01:17 AM.

#1102 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:17 AM

However now the NHL is saying if he does not report and the NYI choose to suspend him he has to fulfill the contract next full NHL season. It is better for him to show up and deal with it than to gamble again and play what could seem like forever for him next year. He is not getting any younger as well.

As far as I can tell this has been listed as one of the possible outcomes by people reporting on the story, not the certainty. If that turns out to be the case then Nabokov got some bad advise regarding how CBA works.

#1103 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:22 AM

Well, if they're going to try to force him to play a full season, he should just go, play the 30ish games and not even try. Make it PAINFULLY obvious to everyone that he does NOT want to be there.

Eventually Snow and the rest of the management would get sick of him playing like s*** and waive him.

#1104 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:27 AM

So then, he shows up and goaltends like swiss cheese til they sit him or waive him. Causing locker room problems, and bad mouthing the league, no rule against getting suspended. This is all really petty because he should treat it as a long AHL conditioning stint and just get the contract he wants next year.

The NHL tipped their hands if thats the case, because there is nothing in the rules that says he has to play "well".

#1105 HenryMalredo

HenryMalredo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:32 AM

Well, if they're going to try to force him to play a full season, he should just go, play the 30ish games and not even try. Make it PAINFULLY obvious to everyone that he does NOT want to be there.

Eventually Snow and the rest of the management would get sick of him playing like s*** and waive him.

That would be almost worse for his career then taking a suspension. A 35 year old goalie who has already sat out for a bit after a short time in the KHL, he gets in the NHL and then plays like crap. He might as well put the nail in the coffin.

#1106 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:33 AM

It's not significant. The rules don't change because of the career status of the player and they don't change because people are choosing to look at this through red and white colored glasses. The Islanders have the leverage, Nabokov is, by rules, a New York Islander. He plays or he is suspended and at this stage of his career, a suspension would be a career killer. He would be an idiot not to report.

I am not saying that the rules change. I am saying that Nabokov can afford to give a finger to Islanders but a rookie player cannot do that. Nabokov played 10 seasons in NHL. I would guess that his character traits are well known by now. I do not think that being suspended by Islanders affects his chances of being signed next year. He wanted too much money this year and no team could accommodate him. But next season if he agrees to play for 2 mil I would guess he would find a team to play for.

#1107 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:34 AM

That would be almost worse for his career then taking a suspension. A 35 year old goalie who has already sat out for a bit after a short time in the KHL, he gets in the NHL and then plays like crap. He might as well put the nail in the coffin.

Was that Hollands true motivation behind this signing? To kill his career, some sort of payback for knocking us out of the playoffs. :ph34r:

#1108 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:42 AM

This is hilarious - it's like Holland just threw a wrench into the the system as a big F-you to the NHL, as he just created a situation which is going to be a huge headache for them to clear up and address in the future. Literally no one knows their head from their ass in this case.

[eating popcorn]
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#1109 HenryMalredo

HenryMalredo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:43 AM

I am not saying that the rules change. I am saying that Nabokov can afford to give a finger to Islanders but a rookie player cannot do that. Nabokov played 10 seasons in NHL. I would guess that his character traits are well known by now. I do not think that being suspended by Islanders affects his chances of being signed next year. He wanted too much money this year and no team could accommodate him. But next season if he agrees to play for 2 mil I would guess he would find a team to play for.

At this point in his career, he really can't afford to not report. If he was in his prime or a hot-shot up-and-comer, he could. He already priced himself out of the market last summer and he's going to have to take even less this summer if all he has on his resume in the past season is a short, iffy stint in the KHL. He can get some good playing time with the Islanders and get himself moved near the deadline or get a decent contract as a FA

#1110 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:50 AM

At this point in his career, he really can't afford to not report. If he was in his prime or a hot-shot up-and-comer, he could. He already priced himself out of the market last summer and he's going to have to take even less this summer if all he has on his resume in the past season is a short, iffy stint in the KHL. He can get some good playing time with the Islanders and get himself moved near the deadline or get a decent contract as a FA

Sure he can. It is only a job. He should be financially secure by now. If things does not go his way Nabokov can just retire and start a vineyard of something.

#1111 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:17 AM

This is hilarious - it's like Holland just threw a wrench into the the system as a big F-you to the NHL, as he just created a situation which is going to be a huge headache for them to clear up and address in the future. Literally no one knows their head from their ass in this case.

First, Holland does the long term Z deals and exposed the loophole. Now Holland shows NHL how screwed the waiver system is and will get it re-written. Kenny sets the pace ;)

#1112 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:57 AM

A few things can happen here:

1. Nabokov eventually reports to the islanders and plays.
2. Nabokov refuses to report
a. islanders suspend him for the remainder of the season - no play no pay. season over - end of story.
i. HOWEVER - if he refuses to play this year - islanders can appeal to the NHL that Nabokov "honor" this contract for next year and he would not be a FA this offseason.
b. islanders waive him
i. IF other teams put in a claim on Friday - the lowest team that put a claim in gets him.
ii. IF NO other teams put in a claim on Friday - he goes back on waivers and the bids start all over again - preference for lower standing teams.

Though. NYI could play hardball and drag this out - he could still end up in Detroit. If NYI puts him through waivers, then he'd have to pull this same story with the other teams that made a claim - until he reaches us. It's possible that NYI waives him, and other teams don't wanna deal with the drama, and he comes here.

high hopes...high hopes...

#1113 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:58 AM

Does no one else find Snow's actions slimy? Out of sheer respect between the GMs, i think no one should have signed him, which I was falsely hoping would be the case. I mean, Holland gets in contact with a player, does the negotiating, and gets him, basically doing all the dirty work. Yet Snow comes along and with one click of a button (or however the hell you claim a waiver), esentially steals our player and gets rewarded for Holland's work. Then the guy talks about "bringing him into our great organization which is on the up-and-up and he'll fall in love with". First off, love......Isles? Up and up? Who the hell are you trying to kid. Do you believe people don't pay attention to standings or organization management? My god, its not a secret that the Isles are one if the worst run teams in the league. I mean, he doesnt need to paint a deathly picture of the Isles to tbe press, but try to be at least a TAD down to earth and get your head out of your ass. Second, will he fall in love before or after the tearing down of half the city to meet Wang's needs (hehe)? Third, you ****** you, you didn't "bring" him into the organization. You were given a late Christmas gift, in no part thanks to your efforts as GM for the worst run organization in the league.

Did get two drunk chicks to make out though...

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#1114 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:59 AM

I started to read this thread at the beginning, but gave up and figured just fast forward to the end...

The waiver system is very flawed. As some have pointed out, this puts a nice big spotlight on it and hopefully some positive change will come of it. Ideally, yes, Kenny did all the legwork, but he obviously knew there was no way in hell Nabby was getting past the bottom feeders, especially at that contract. What are Holland's true intentions? Nobody but Wings management knows for sure.

As far as Nabby not reporting, and the NHL apparently threatening that he would have to play the entire next full season with the Islanders, I'm glad Nabby told the Isles to f*** off. If they REQUIRE him to play, as many have said is possible, just stand there in goal. Don't even try. Hell, standing behind the net would be even better. Nabby's not a potential hall-of-famer, so what if his stats suck for a bit, it will only last a VERY short time. It may be insubordination, but he's already said he WILL NOT REPORT. The NHL will only lookf****** TERRIBLE, as will the Isles.

Snow is a terrible GM for a terrible organization icing a terrible team. I am still of the opinion they should be required to put DiPietro in net for all 82 games even if he's injured as punishment for his ludicrous contract. Wang can go suck, well... a wang. The Isles should just fold already.

#1115 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:45 AM

This has to be a real nice morale boost to that Islanders lockerroom. :)
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#1116 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

I'm gonna try to make this the last thing I post on this subject and it relates to the person saying that if Nabokov didn't reprot to Detroit we'd want his head on a platter or whatever. First I don't see Detroit doing that to another team call me bias but I can't see Ken Holland doing something like that. Secondly and this may be the weaker argument but I also can't see to many players not wanting to come to Detorit so I don't think not reporting would even be a thought but I could be wrong once again chalk it up to me being a Wings Fan. Nabokov want's to be in Detroit no offense to the Islanders but they are in a rebuilding stage right now and for a goalie like Nabokov I can't see where he would have a good place with the organzation anyways. Suspending him would be stupid becasue then no on gets him and it's a waste. Granted the Islanders played by the rules to get Nabbs but it is an underminded way to get him. What type of publicity is the NHL getting on this situation?... I would assume negative this hurts the league and the teams that are involved and it story like this don't reach out to other fans so it's not like it's doing this league any good. This is one of the many rules I personally think need to be changed along but now its not the time or place to start discussing a bunch of rule changes. Sorry for rambling and going on so but this has now turned into somewhat of a ticking time bomb that really doesn't favor anyone involved. We fans are getting into with each other and other teams fans mostly NY Islanders and I would proabably assume that Holland has been on the phone trying to figure out all of this and what Detroit's next step is. Do the Wings wait and see if this all pans out and there is a slim possibility we get Nabokov or do they right away start looking else-where?? Is Detroit fine with what goalies we do have or not? So really this what started out to be a glimmer of hope to help the Detorit Red Wings out with all the injuries has now become a sea of negativity for everyone involved. They days to come should be very interesting.

#1117 X13WINGS13X

X13WINGS13X

#!*% Lebron, Lidstrom is the king.

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

honestly, even after the slow season this year, a player i've always wanted on the wings is Anton Volchenkov. I got excited thinking that maybe the rumor of the devils helping us get nabokov meant there could be a trade with him in a package deal for Volchenkov, since the goaltending situation in new jersey has been so iffy this year.

#1118 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

Haha, Nabby's going Galt. This is hysterical.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#1119 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

Haha, Nabby's going Galt. This is hysterical.

Wow, great analogy, it's perfect (and obscure enough for most people, I bet). Nabakov's basically saying "I'll be damned if I let the Isles leech off of me."
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#1120 Mr.Macphisto

Mr.Macphisto

Prospect

• 45 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

I love this. Garth Snow is the master troll (second to me)

And you're really not that good at it...........