#1161 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

UPDATE:

NABOKOV SPEAKS
Evgeni Nabokov is sticking by his initial decision to not join the New York Islanders, the veteran goalie said Sunday.

"I think I'm going to stay home for now, I'm sticking with my decision," Nabokov told ESPN.com from his home in San Jose. "It's nothing against the Islanders and their organization. It's nothing to do with that. It's just that I'm at the point in my career where I want to help a team win in the playoffs. I don't see how I could help the Islanders or what I could do for them. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And I hope they understand that."

The Islanders claimed Nabokov off waivers from the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday, the team that he signed with Thursday. Because he began the season in the Russia's KHL, the rules required that he clear waivers before trying to join the Red Wings.

"I understand the rules," said Nabokov, who signed a one-year, $570,000 deal with the Wings. "We're not stupid, we knew what was going on before we made the decision. But I made this decision because the goal was to play with Detroit."

On Saturday, Islanders general manager Garth Snow told ESPN.com that he wanted to talk to Nabokov before deciding his next move and said he had left Nabokov a message to call him.

"I want to clear something up," said Nabokov. "Everybody wrote that Garth Snow left me messages. I have no messages on my phone from him. I didn't talk to him. So I want to clear that up. He may have tried to reach me but there's no message from him. I still haven't talked to him."

Reached via text message Sunday, Snow told ESPN.com things were "status quo."

So what now?

The Islanders can suspend Nabokov for not reporting. They can also put him back on waivers with the intention of trying to trade him, although it's highly doubtful he would clear waivers before a trade could be done. Nabokov also has a no-movement clause. It's complicated.

"I don't know what's going to happen," said Nabokov. "I just hope they will understand where I'm coming from. That's all."

Nabokov said he hasn't skated in a while and needs time to get ready.

"Detroit was willing to give me that time," said Nabokov. "I'm not sure if other teams would be ready to give me that time. So that's why I made my decision. Detroit was willing to wait while I got ready. With the Islanders, if I went there, I would need a week or two to get ready and then the season would almost be over."

So for now, he doesn't plan on reporting to the Islanders.

"Right now, that's right," Nabokov said. "I was surprised they picked me up. I was like, 'Wow, what's the point?"'
http://sports.espn.g....ory?id=6051280

So he knew the risks and lost with the gamble. Tell NYI that you need time to get ready, play about 10-15 games and look for a better team next year. Sounds like sour grapes that he didn't get what he wanted out of this situation.

Next year Nabby don't price yourself out of the hands of contending teams and you will get more contract offers.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 23 January 2011 - 04:07 PM.

#1162 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

I don't think that's the issue here. It seems to me most of the people posting understand that the Islanders had every right to pick him up if they wanted him. They just don't understand why they would.

Thanks! If I'd been able to calm down a little, I could have worded it that way. Point is, they really can't use him so their picking him up hurts the whole process and the NHL in general. So it's not just about what's fair. It's about how it affects this kind of negotiation in the future. That's why the whole process sucks and why it needs to be FIXED. I'm suggesting a little perspective would be really REALLY timely.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#1163 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

"Right now, that's right," Nabokov said. "I was surprised they picked me up. I was like, 'Wow, what's the point?"'

HAHA

Basically he doesnt want to play anywhere but detroit. You might think most GMs would realize that when the signed af****** contract with detroit. If he wanted to be some where else he would have reached out some where else. These rules are complete bulls*** and need to be changed. Every other team had the chance to do what detroit did and none did. I am glad he wont report.

He wants a cup not to be worked into his grave

Edited by brett, 23 January 2011 - 04:08 PM.

#1164 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

Why doesn't Garth Snow just suit up for the Isles if they really need a goalie?

Lemieux played while he was the Pens owner.

And just think! He could wear his ten-foot wide shoulder pads again! Whee! Whooopee!

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#1165 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

Was just about to post this too. This is what stuck out for me the most. Why not just say this in the first place, instead of saying he'd report to whoever claimed him. I don't think it would have necessarily deterred every team, as they might still want to screw up Detroit's plans for him... but still. Would have been nice for either him or Meehan to come out and say, "I want to play for Detroit, if someone else claims me I won't play for them. I'd rather just sit out."

I may be wrong but I thought his Agent can only say so much to the other teams or else is basically against rule regulations. I don't think he can tell teams not to claim him.. I know that sounds dumb but I thought I heard that some where but do not have a source sorry. Either way, we all know where he wants to play and if Snow really wants to put a wrench in the works over some pride issue and screw with one of the biggest agents in hockey, then let him dig his own grave. If he is smart he will cut ties with him let bygones be bygones in the worlds of Cheli and move on.

crash

#1166 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

HAHA

Basically he doesnt want to play anywhere but detroit. You might think most GMs would realize that when the signed af****** contract with detroit. If he wanted to be some where else he would have reached out some where else. These rules are complete bulls*** and need to be changed. Every other team had the chance to do what detroit did and none did. I am glad he wont report.

Nope now he might be in a worse spot. Possible stuck with NYI for all of next year.

#1167 TheCaptain19

TheCaptain19

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

his quote is awesome. makes it clear that his intentions are to play in detroit. if he goes on waivers again, i bet he'll make it though.

#1168 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

Doesn't matter. Snow & the Isles were and are perfectly within their rights to claim the player off waivers.

Nabokov is NOT within his rights to refuse to honour a contract he signed.

The NHL has precedent to force Nabokov to honour his contract, or at least refuse to allow him to become a free agent in July. See Senators vs. Yashin.

Probably under the way the rules are written right now, you're right. I'm suggesting the rules need to be changed. Snow and his GM would have gained nothing, even if Nabby had decided to play. And the NHL needs to remove that piece of coal from up their asses before it turns into a diamond. ...Or maybe not... :ph34r:

With a team like the Isles, the only thing they would have gained is a whole lot of negative publicity, because they already suck and they're going nowhere and everyone understands they look like idiots, going for Nabokov. Nabby has every right to choose not to play for a team that could care less about what they really need or his well-being; or what that whole knee-jerk piece of s*** does to the NHL in the future. Fine, if it means he doesn't play this season, so be it.

But whether you agree or not, the rules on this kind of idiocy should be revised.

#1169 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Nabby has a good PR person to write that up for him. I'm pretty sure he was a bit more upset with NYI that they screwed up his hopes of joining the Wings and a chance for the Cup.

#1170 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

Nabby has a good PR person to write that up for him. I'm pretty sure he was a bit more upset with NYI that they screwed up his hopes of joining the Wings and a chance for the Cup.

lmao i can hear him swearing from my livingroom :lol:

#1171 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

I like the "need time to get ready" angle. He's still hoping Snow will waive him and teams will let him go through waivers. Stick to your guns Nabby!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#1172 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:34 PM

Nope now he might be in a worse spot. Possible stuck with NYI for all of next year.

Highly unlikely though.

#1173 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

If i'm Nabokov, I'd request a conditioning stint, and then just stay there after they move him to the minors, ride out the season, get paid to "warm-up" in the minors, and get your contract next year. It is nice to see how bad he wants to be a wing though, makes me think we have July 1st news waiting for us. Hope its under 2 mill, hope!

Edit: I still like my earlier idea of Nabby mouthing off and getting suspended(league/team), or he could come out when Crosby gets back and headshot him, he would be a legend here. im kidding kinda.

Edited by Wingzman91, 23 January 2011 - 04:52 PM.

#1174 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

Highly unlikely though.

Agreed, the NHLPA would never allow it or let it happen.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#1175 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

Probably under the way the rules are written right now, you're right. I'm suggesting the rules need to be changed. Snow and his GM would have gained nothing, even if Nabby had decided to play. And the NHL needs to remove that piece of coal from up their asses before it turns into a diamond. ...Or maybe not... :ph34r:

With a team like the Isles, the only thing they would have gained is a whole lot of negative publicity, because they already suck and they're going nowhere and everyone understands they look like idiots, going for Nabokov. Nabby has every right to choose not to play for a team that could care less about what they really need or his well-being; or what that whole knee-jerk piece of s*** does to the NHL in the future. Fine, if it means he doesn't play this season, so be it.

But whether you agree or not, the rules on this kind of idiocy should be revised.

This is pretty much what I was saying from the outset. I can understand how teams could abuse the system, signing guys from other leagues without the waivers, but really it's not like they can super stack that much. I think a better idea would to give teams some kind of limit on the overseas players they can sign WITHOUT them having to go through waivers. Give each team a chance to maybe sign 2-3 guys from another league, then anyone after that should be subjected to the waivers rule.

I think something like that would still prevent teams from stacking themselves, and at the same time save the league and any bottom feeder teams this kind of embarrassment.

#1176 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

Like Matt_Attack said Yashin and Radulov. He has a legit legal NHL contract with the NYI now, they can force him.

#1177 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

the whole process is a farce. Every team in the NHL had a chance to sound out Nabby prior to the Wings signing him, none did. So kenny does all the ground work for some bottom feeder team's GM to screw it up for Nabby and the Wings. I could understand a contender putting in a claim just to stop him from joining Detroit, because if we have a weakness it is in net. Hopefully if this isnt sorted, Kenny has told Nabby that there will be a contract waiting for him in the offseason. What stands out here that the more successful you are as a franchise the more you get shafted.
Its the same with the drafting system. Now we have a cap to put all the teams on the same level, why should the worst team at it benefit each year by getting the #1 pick. Surely the incentive should be to reward the teams who manage the cap most effectively. The cap is in place to stop teams becoming power houses again, so although you may get top 1-5 picks for 5 years by doing well you'll have to let some guys go due to the cap restaints. The Pens stank for awhile, got some great picks and are one of the top sides.

2002 #5 Ryan Whitney 389 games to date.
2003 #1 Marc Andre Fluery 339 games.
2004 #2 Evgeny Malkin 351 games.
2005.#1 Sidney Crosby 412 games.
2006.#2 Jordan Staal 337 games.

Compare that to us who where by far the better run franchise.
2002.#58 Jiri Hudler 298 games.
2003.#64 Jim Howard 108 games.
2004.#97 Johan Franzen 366 games.
2005.#19 Jakub Kindl 23 games.
2006.#41 Cory Emmerton 1 game.
I know we gave picks away so out of those 5 years we only had 1 first round pick, but if the NHL are serious about having a level playing field why not just put the first round picks in a hat, and have a lucky draw for all 30 teams.Then the following rounds would be as they are now, down to final league positions. Would sure make the 1st day of draft day alot more exciting.

Back on topic, maybe this was Kenny's way of sounding out the best non playing NHL goalie out there about playing for the Wings. Hopefully some sort of deal has been done and its just a matter of time before Nabakov becomes a Redwing.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#1178 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

Like Matt_Attack said Yashin and Radulov. He has a legit legal NHL contract with the NYI now, they can force him.

Not even close to the same situation. Yashin and Radulov had 12 year and 3 year contracts respectively. Nabokov took a 1 year deal to play 4 months at 8 times under his current market value. No way NHL/NHLPA force Nabokov to honor that contract: None.

If they did, boom, a new loop hole opens up! Teams can sign all-star players valued at $8million for league minimum. All they have to do is find an accomplice. This would open a new can of worms... one that NHL/NHLPA does not want.

#1179 redwingcapt

redwingcapt

redwingcapt

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

I think it is to prevent a team from getting a cheap (pro-rated) player for half a season.

Say that Bob Forward (fictional player) played for the Fighting Hamsters, but they didn't have enough cap space to meet his $4m/season demands. They only had $2m. If they just didn't sign him and he, as a free agent went to Uganda to play with the Galumphing Turtles for their season (which ends in January) for $3m, and then signed with the Hamsters for $4m (but since half of the season was over, it would only cost them $2m), he'd get $5m, and the Hamsters would get a $4m player for half price for the rest of the season and the playoffs. It gets them in under the cap, but his value is more than that so it circumvents the cap.

At least that's how I understand it. Hopefully if there's more to it, someone else will chime in.

the Fighting Hamsters are my 3rd favorite team in the league! :hehe:
To whom much is given, much is expected

#1180 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

I think people are confusing RFA and UFA here, a team who has rights to a player, ala Hudler, when a contract is signed should have a contract honored.

These are snips from the CBA to affirm the thought process that Nabokov's contract is for this year only.
Exhibit 1 - Standard Player Contract :
If the Player fails to report to such other Club, he may be suspended by such other Club and no salary shall be payable to him during the period of such suspension.

Atricle 1 - Definitions:
ACTIVE ROSTER - the group of players signed to a SPC and who are not on the Injured Reserve List, Injured Non Roster, designated Non-Roster, or Loaned; includes players who are on a Conditioning Loan and players who are suspended. The Active Roster exists from the day before the start of the Regular Season, and expires at the end of the team's last NHL Game in a League Year, and has a minimum size of 20 players and a maximum size of 23 players.

As long as he remains on the active roster,(No Move Clause), they can suspend and not pay him, they don't own him, as soon as they added him to the active roster they started the contract, Hudler, never started in the NHL until a year later, so the contract carried over.

Edit:
CONDITIONING LOAN - the assignment of a player on a team's Active Roster for conditioning reasons; does not remove the player from the team's Active Roster.

Edited by Wingzman91, 23 January 2011 - 05:30 PM.