• Please log in to reply
1581 replies to this topic

#1201 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:21 PM

Snow reached out to the 35-year-old Nabokov shortly after the Islanders claimed him from the Detroit Red Wings - the team with which Nabokov signed a one-year contract on Thursday. Snow said when he identified himself on the phone, Nabokov immediately hung up.

lmao....
well i guess that lays to rest any questions about him playing for the Islanders.

#1202 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

lmao....
well i guess that lays to rest any questions about him playing for the Islanders.

And if you kept reading...

Snow finally talked to Nabokov on Sunday and was told that Nabokov didn't realize who he was speaking to when abruptly ending the call.

Edited by Konnan511, 23 January 2011 - 07:22 PM.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#1203 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

Good on Nabby.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#1204 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:37 PM

Nabby should have just said he was coming back to write a blog. Snow would have banned him from the building and he'd go back on waivers. :thumbup:

#1205 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

And if you kept reading...

My bad. I was too cough up in the lulz. I can just imagine.

Nabokov: Hello?
Snow: Hi Evgeni. This is Garth Snow.
Nabokov: "SLAM"
Snow: Hello? Evgeni you still there? Hello?

Edited by Original-Six, 23 January 2011 - 07:46 PM.

#1206 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

If Nabokov ends up on waivers again, I honestly think there's a decent chance he'll end up in Detroit.

After the situation with the Islanders, I don't think other teams would want to deal with the possible headache of claiming him.

#1207 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

Same deal here. He has a legal binding contract, he does not want to honor it so they can force him to play next year. This does not open up any loop holes all this does is enforce rules that are already in place.

I don't even understand how you think this can open up loop holes.

I'll bite.

30th place team in the east needs a goalie because maybe they think next year they have a chance to make playoffs. 2nd place team needs a top six forward to go deep in the playoffs this year. 2nd place signs KHL star goalie to a 2-year deal (Nabokov for example), 30th place picks goalie off waivers for nothing and cheap contract. 30th place team now trades 2nd place team a top 6 forward for little to nothing.

That's just one example of a possible loophole.

#1208 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

I like Wangs delusional response;

"I don't see why somebody who has this opportunity would not want to play and fulfill his contract. It's nuts, right. I don't understand any of it"

Uh...you really don't see why an aging goalie who wanted to make, what, who knows, could be one last run at the cup, wouldn't want to play for a team who has no chance of making the playoffs? You don't understand why he wouldn't want to leave his family and the warmth of sunny California to come to gloomy, cold ass New York to play for a team he thinks sucks and doesn't want to play for, won't make the finals, for a mere quarter mil, when dude has tens of millions already?

Really???

:blink:

#1209 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

I like Wangs delusional response;

"I don't see why somebody who has this opportunity would not want to play and fulfill his contract. It's nuts, right. I don't understand any of it"

Uh...you really don't see why an aging goalie who wanted to make, what, who knows, could be one last run at the cup, wouldn't want to play for a team who has no chance of making the playoffs? You don't understand why he wouldn't want to leave his family and the warmth of sunny California to come to gloomy, cold ass New York to play for a team he thinks sucks and doesn't want to play for, won't make the finals, for a mere quarter mil, when dude has tens of millions already?

Really???

:blink:

Maybe Wang was going to interview the aging goalie to replace Snow as GM. Nabby's got this all wrong...

#1210 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

I wonder if Snow's called Kenny with his list of demands?

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#1211 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

I'll bite.

30th place team in the east needs a goalie because maybe they think next year they have a chance to make playoffs. 2nd place team needs a top six forward to go deep in the playoffs this year. 2nd place signs KHL star goalie to a 2-year deal (Nabokov for example), 30th place picks goalie off waivers for nothing and cheap contract. 30th place team now trades 2nd place team a top 6 forward for little to nothing.

yep that was my thoughts on it, so who are we interested in on the Isle's roster?

have we ever had an Austrian on the team?
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#1212 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

I'll bite.

In your example why would 2nd place team sign another goalie out of the blue if they are set? Unless it's injuries (like use) 2nd place team has no need to go out and sign a goalie.

Bad example

#1213 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

In your example why would 2nd place team sign another goalie out of the blue if they are set? Unless it's injuries (like use) 2nd place team has no need to go out and sign a goalie.

Bad example

Jesus, did you even bother to read it? It was an example. 2nd place team isn't signing a goalie for THEM, they are signing it as a FAVOR to the 30th/29th/28th (or whatever) team.

It's not that difficult to understand, is it? it could be speculated to the media that 2nd place team is trying to improve the goalie depth. It's not rocket science. And that's just ONE example. Don't get so caught up with the position, or circumstances. It's a loop hole that teams could employ if they got creative.

Remember the twitter source from Devils saying they'd claim Nabokov and waive him so Detroit can get him? But that doesn't matter, because Detroit wouldnt get next crack at him. But it proves that Devils wanted to help Detroit...

Just sayin

EDIT: sorry if I come off rude. I just get irritated when people refuse to read a post, or pretend to not understand it. I know Michigan school systems are not THAT bad, atleast I hope not.

Edited by Heaten, 23 January 2011 - 10:15 PM.

#1214 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

so when do we know whats going to happen with nabby

#1215 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

Jesus, did you even bother to read it? It was an example. 2nd place team isn't signing a goalie for THEM, they are signing it as a FAVOR to the 30th/29th/28th (or whatever) team.

It's not that difficult to understand, is it? it could be speculated to the media that 2nd place team is trying to improve the goalie depth. It's not rocket science. And that's just ONE example. Don't get so caught up with the position, or circumstances. It's a loop hole that teams could employ if they got creative.

Remember the twitter source from Devils saying they'd claim Nabokov and waive him so Detroit can get him? But that doesn't matter, because Detroit wouldnt get next crack at him. But it proves that Devils wanted to help Detroit...

Just sayin

EDIT: sorry if I come off rude. I just get irritated when people refuse to read a post, or pretend to not understand it. I know Michigan school systems are not THAT bad, atleast I hope not.

Seeing as how you have typos in your post you shouldn't really call out anyone's smarts.

Also the Devils helping out Detroit was a rumor, nothing unless it comes from the organization itself is proven to be true.

#1216 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

Good for Nabokov.

He's a 35 year old goalie who has never won a cup, why the heck would he want to waste precious time with the New York Islanders?

If a playoff bound team would have picked him up there is no doubt in my mind that he would have played for them, but to go from Wings to the Islanders is just ridiculous.

It's like a pimp offering you a Jenny McCarthy lookalike and 48 hrs later he delivers Rosie O'Donnell. WTF!!!

Edited by puffy, 23 January 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#1217 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

Seeing as how you have typos in your post you shouldn't really call out anyone's smarts.

Also the Devils helping out Detroit was a rumor, nothing unless it comes from the organization itself is proven to be true.

posting from my phone and the keys suck. who cares. Do you understand the loop hole or not. You said there was none. I proved there is. Do you now see it?

#1218 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:30 PM

It is against the rules, that's why he'd be suspended without pay. The issue is whether the NHL would force him to honour his contract, either this year or next year or whenever. The precedent is there (Yashin, Radulov).

The idea that a person can be compelled to work against his will just does not sound right regardless of what contract law or NHL rules might say.

#1219 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

So he knew the risks and lost with the gamble. Tell NYI that you need time to get ready, play about 10-15 games and look for a better team next year. Sounds like sour grapes that he didn't get what he wanted out of this situation.

He did not get what he wanted, but it does not mean he should take something he definitely does not want.

#1220 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:54 PM

the interesting thing is that he said he wanted to compete as a starter. however, the odds of him being a starter in detroit, knowing detroit/babcock, are pretty slim. And if detroit said they were going to give him time to get ready, then he wouldnt be starting.

or am i confused?

I think that most of the public statements made in this case have little to do with reality. I would guess that Nabokov and Red Wings discussed and agreed what his role on the team would be.