• Please log in to reply
1581 replies to this topic

#1241 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

so... what is the deal on Nabokov? If he doesn't report to NYI will he get waived again?? This probably puts a chill on teams like Ottawa from considering a claim. I've also got to believe Kenny knew/discussed this would happen with Nabby if a bottom-feeder put in a waiver claim.

#1242 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

so... what is the deal on Nabokov? If he doesn't report to NYI will he get waived again?? This probably puts a chill on teams like Ottawa from considering a claim. I've also got to believe Kenny knew/discussed this would happen with Nabby if a bottom-feeder put in a waiver claim.

It sure sounds like the Islanders are going to retain his rights...
http://sports.yahoo....landers-nabokov

New York owns Nabokovís rights, and could keep him out of the NHL for all of next season should Nabokov not report.

ďIím not going to speculate,Ē Snow said. ďIím looking forward to having him in an Islanders uniform. We can cross those bridges when we get there. Iím not there yet.Ē

That's a pretty **** move to claim a player that never wanted to sign with you in the first place and then not give him a chance to go elsewhere... can't look good to other players for management to operate that way... If Snow was smart(to save face and maybe get something out of the deal), he would try and trade him and if Nabokov gets claimed via waivers again, so be it - he was a "free" asset in the first place, that has no intention of playing for them anyway... and at least this way, he's not the bad guy anymore... this would also force Nabby's hand to report to wherever else he got claimed by, unless he wants to get a bad tag and would likely keep bottom feeders from making a claim the second time around...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#1243 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

I stand my Nabokov's orginal decision not to go to the Islanders I think it was stpuid to claim him even if it was within the rules of the NHL and players Contracts and rights. What are the Islanders trying to do here. No offense to Nabokov but if the Islanders are looking to rebuild and I think they are in a rebuilding stage if they want to do that and they want to rebuild around a goalie Nabokov is not the type of goalie that NY should be trying to build around. Like he said he's at a point in his career where he wants to help a team win in the playoffs. I don't see him with the Islanders having a true true shot at a Stanley Cup for another coupl years or so. I could be wrong it may be sooner but the Islanders have a lot more work to do to be contenders. Since all this has statred I'm fine now with Detroit having our GR goalies back up Jimmy if that is what Detroit wants. I think it would be a good idea to have an insurance goalie but if the Wings think they can do fine as is than so be it or if they want to try something with a different goalie than fine. I just hope the Wings can continue to be contenders.

#1244 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

I don't think there's going to be a season anytime soon where the Wings won't be contenders, but I do think that despite Nabby's playoff history, he would have definitely been a real help in the goaltending department for us. I knew it was more or less a pipe dream that he'd pass through waivers (which is a process I don't agree with at all...there really should be some way that teams could circumvent that BS), but the idea definitely sounded cool. He'd be like this era's Hasek.

Posted Image

#1245 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

Can Nabakov report for the last game of the season to avoid suspension next year? Didn't Kirk Muller refuse to turn up when he was traded to the Isles back in the day?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#1246 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

I don't think there's going to be a season anytime soon where the Wings won't be contenders, but I do think that despite Nabby's playoff history, he would have definitely been a real help in the goaltending department for us. I knew it was more or less a pipe dream that he'd pass through waivers (which is a process I don't agree with at all...there really should be some way that teams could circumvent that BS), but the idea definitely sounded cool. He'd be like this era's Hasek.

Nabby's playoff history(and Kipper's as well) I think can be attributed to poor goaltending management over the course of a season... you can't expect a guy to start 65+ games a season and be fresh come playoffs...

As for Hasek, it's an apples to oranges scenariom because he was a proven playoff performer and short of one of the most questionable goal calls in NHL history, already should have had a cup when he came here...

Can Nabakov report for the last game of the season to avoid suspension next year? Didn't Kirk Muller refuse to turn up when he was traded to the Isles back in the day?

In theory, he could report near seasons end, but I'm pretty sure that the deadline for that is closer to early March, than the end of the season... doesn't it have something to do with dates that the final payment of contracts are made or something - anyone with more concrete insight and maybe a source on this to confirm?

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#1247 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

Nabokov's stats in regular season and playoffs are about the same (GAA and Save %). He might not have stolen any playoff games for Sharks, but did he have some really bad games and caused them to lose? I do not follow Sharks that much to remember.

#1248 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

How about instead of throwing out ludicrous ideas, scenarios, and possible outcomes, we all sit back and wait and see what happens. It is clear Nabby doesn't want to be with the Islanders. We all get that. By the end of this week, I can almost promise you that there will be some clearer direction in this whole thing. Until then, everyone should just take a chill pill, unwad their panties, and just wait. That's all we can do and that's what we are going to have 2 do regardless of throwing out scenarios that are obscure and ridiculous.

Besides, it's Kenny Holland, I'm 99.99% sure he has all this s*** figured out already.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#1249 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

I stand my Nabokov's orginal decision not to go to the Islanders I think it was stpuid to claim him even if it was within the rules of the NHL and players Contracts and rights. What are the Islanders trying to do here. No offense to Nabokov but if the Islanders are looking to rebuild and I think they are in a rebuilding stage if they want to do that and they want to rebuild around a goalie Nabokov is not the type of goalie that NY should be trying to build around.

They're not trying to build around him. They're trying to build around DiPietro.

However, saying that it was stupid of them to claim a high end goaltender at a $570k cap hit is ignorant. Worst case scenario is that nothing changes. Best case is that Nabokov comes in and kicks ass for them. So now, Nabokov is suspended and unless he suits up for the Isles, he'll be Islanders property for that rate next season. But if he still doesn't want to play for them? They now have a tradeable asset with very nice value. Any playoff-caliber teams looking for a goaltender like Nabokov? The Isles could get a decent return for him if he doesn't want to stick around.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#1250 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

Nabokov: Isle Stay Home - NYPost:

"...It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And I hope they understand that."
Well, the Islanders don't. Not even in the slightest.

"Why wouldn't he show up? I'm still expecting him," Islanders owner Charles Wang said of Nabokov in a rare press conference yesterday afternoon before the Isles' 5-3 loss to the Sabres at Nassau Coliseum. "Flights are booked. If you go into the locker room, the locker stall is prepared, his uniform is prepared. If you look at the notes for [yesterday's] game, his name is on it."

Now, if he sticks with his decision to not report to the Islanders, he will be forced to sit out the remainder of the NHL season.

"Here is somebody the Islanders want that wants to play [and] has a contract with the NHL," Wang said. "So, we're waiting for him and looking forward to having him."

Over the previous two days, both Wang and Islanders general manager Garth Snow have said they left messages for Nabokov. According to what the goalie said to ESPN.com, those messages never were received.

"He may have tried to reach me but there's no message from him," Nabokov said of Snow. "I still haven't talked to him."

Snow said yesterday that everything was "status quo," meaning he is still expecting Nabokov to show up. Nabokov's agent, Don Meehan, was unavailable for comment last night.

"I dont see why somebody who has this opportunity would not want to play and fulfill his contract," Wang said. "It's nuts, right? I don't understand any of it."

Wang is even dumber than I thought.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#1251 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

If snow is really trying to build a winning team he should just send Nabby on his way. No use trying to keep a guy around that is going to be a cancer in the locker room.

#1252 Selliria

Selliria

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

He can't be serious. Why wouldn't he show up?

We don't all agree with Nabokov's decision on this board, but we understand what he's saying at least.

Edited by Selliria, 24 January 2011 - 01:43 PM.

#1253 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

By the end of this week, I can almost promise you that there will be some clearer direction in this whole thing. Until then, everyone should just take a chill pill, unwad their panties, and just wait.

Lol, I didn't see anyone freaking out or getting their panties in a knot. No need to get so overdramatic. ;)

#1254 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

I cant stand the smugness of snow or wang. They seem like a couple assholes who know there f***ed so choose to ruin not only the Wings shot at a good goalie but more importantly the dreams of an actually human being. Kudos f***face (x2)
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#1255 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

wang is really being a **** about all of this.
Posted Image

#1256 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

I cant stand the smugness of snow or wang. They seem like a couple assholes who know there f***ed so choose to ruin not only the Wings shot at a good goalie but more importantly the dreams of an actually human being. Kudos f***face (x2)

Basically what Wang is saying -

"He wanted to go to the powerhouse Red Wings for a chance to win the Stanley Cup, but we, the doormat of the East, claim him and he isn't thrilled about it. The f*ck's wrong with him for not wanting to play with us?"

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#1257 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,750 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:27 PM

Posted Image

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#1258 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

In reality, the best thing Snow and the Islanders could do, from a personnel and PR standpoint to save face and maybe even obtain an asset out of this whole ordeal, would be to try and trade him...

Worse case scenario, Nabokov gets claimed via waivers again and best case scenario, they get a pick or prospect out of the deal...

Either way, he was a "free" asset in the first place, that has no intention of playing for them anyway and at least this way, Snow's not the bad guy anymore... this would also force Nabby's hand to report to wherever else he got claimed by, unless he wants to get a bad tag and would likely keep bottom feeders from making a claim the second time around... that is, if they were smart...

Posted Image

haha, perfect.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#1259 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

Well, his name is wang. What'd you expect?

;)

#1260 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

Wang is such a Wang.