• Please log in to reply
1581 replies to this topic

#1261 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

Well, his name is wang. What'd you expect?

;)

:shock:
Posted Image

#1262 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

Given the situation that all parties have found themselves in, the rational thing for Nabokov to do is to stay home for another week or two, make the Isles management believe that he is serious about not reporting. Then if they don't relent, and if the case goes to the league for arbitration, he might as well report to the Isles, play for the 2 months or less, then be a FA for the next season. It's not worth it to anyone to risk that the league would roll over his contract to the next year, and he would actually have to play for NYI for a whole year.
So for now we can all be spectators in a competitive game of chicken b/w Nabokov and Snow/Wang.

Edited by sibiriak, 24 January 2011 - 02:46 PM.

#1263 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

Given the situation that all parties have found themselves in, the rational thing for Nabokov to do is to stay home for another week or two, make the Isles management believe that he is serious about not reporting. Then if they don't relent, and if the case goes to the league for arbitration, he might as well report to the Isles, play for the 2 months or less, then be a FA for the next season. It's not worth it to anyone to risk that the league would roll over his contract to the next year, and he would actually have to play for NYI for a whole year.
So for now we can all be spectators in a competitive game of chicken b/w Nabokov and Snow/Wang.

Actually, I think at this point it might just be best for him to not report.

Even though the Isles suck and it wouldn't be his fault, you just know motherf***ers, and especially Snow, Wang, etc. would be blaming him anyway saying he was losing just out of spite for the team and what happened. Especially with all the aftermath of what has happened up from the point the Wings signed him until now.

#1264 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

Then if they don't relent, and if the case goes to the league for arbitration, he might as well report to the Isles, play for the 2 months or less

but then we risk him falling in love with the organization like snow said.

too risky.
Posted Image

#1265 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

How about instead of throwing out ludicrous ideas, scenarios, and possible outcomes, we all sit back and wait and see what happens. It is clear Nabby doesn't want to be with the Islanders. We all get that. By the end of this week, I can almost promise you that there will be some clearer direction in this whole thing. Until then, everyone should just take a chill pill, unwad their panties, and just wait. That's all we can do and that's what we are going to have 2 do regardless of throwing out scenarios that are obscure and ridiculous.

Besides, it's Kenny Holland, I'm 99.99% sure he has all this s*** figured out already.

True. The above theories are logical. However, we are dealing with the chaos theory here, because we're talking about the NHL and its hierarchy. So there's no way even by the end of this week that it will all be sorted out. But even if it were, somebody's gonna end up pissed and/or screwed.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#1266 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

but then we risk him falling in love with the organization like snow said.

too risky.

That's the risk I'm quite willing to take :ph34r:

#1267 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

That's the risk I'm quite willing to take :ph34r:

:shock:
Posted Image

#1268 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,783 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

If that were to happen, then here would be Wang's reaction come July 1 -

"Our goaltender Evgeni Nabokov, just informed us he intends to test the free agent waters and doesn't plan on re-signing with us. I don't understand it. Why wouldn't he want to re-sign with us?"

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#1269 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

There is no way that the Isles would toll the contract, the PR damage is going to get bad, I really think this is just the beginning of this debacle.

Snow may be the smartest GM in the league, he may have just claimed the distraction that allows the team to race to the #1 pick in the draft.
With a built in excuse of "it because Nabokov...", no one can say they intentionally folded for the season.

#1270 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

Funny how so many think this was a long term play. :hehe:

Kenny offered him a 1 season contract to cover injuries to the team. We potentially need a better option for a backup next year, preferably someone who can keep Jimmy on his toes, but I doubt we'll be going after Nabokov a second time.

This was entirely a something for nothing attempt.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#1271 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

Without me reading the entire thread and because I can't find an answer on the internet anywhere, does anyone know the policy behind him being waived by the Islanders? Didn't someone say at some point in this thread that if the Islanders waive him because he won't report, that the Wings could claim him at that point?

Edit: let me know if this is true: The Islanders got an opportunity to claim him due to their low rank on the standings, so does that same fact hold true if he's waived again, or do the Wings have first opportunity because they were the ones that initially signed him?

Edited by lookalive07, 24 January 2011 - 03:47 PM.

Posted Image

#1272 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

Without me reading the entire thread and because I can't find an answer on the internet anywhere, does anyone know the policy behind him being waived by the Islanders? Didn't someone say at some point in this thread that if the Islanders waive him because he won't report, that the Wings could claim him at that point?

Edit: let me know if this is true: The Islanders got an opportunity to claim him due to their low rank on the standings, so does that same fact hold true if he's waived again, or do the Wings have first opportunity because they were the ones that initially signed him?

He has to go on waivers again, any team that made a claim when NYI got Nabby get priority, if none want him then he goes on waivers again, any team, except the Islanders can claim him, even Detroit could then, but they would have 26 other teams to go through.

#1273 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

Yeah, okay that's what I thought. Still the most retarded rule I've ever heard of.

Posted Image

#1274 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

Garth Snow has been waiting for this moment all season long.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#1275 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

Yeah, okay that's what I thought. Still the most retarded rule I've ever heard of.

It keeps "Team A" from signing a player that has made money in another league, then comes to NHL to make more, while a team gets a expensive player at a bargain rate to circumvent the CBA.

#1276 Steve Sample

Steve Sample

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

Lets just Trade them Hudler and a 4th for Nabby and Tavares. Garth Snow just may be dumb enough to go for it.

#1277 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

Hey it's Garth :CLICK: Hello?

#1278 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

Hey it's Garth :CLICK: Hello?

but to be fair, anybody named "garth" calls me my first instinct is to hang up the phone.
Posted Image

#1279 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

I'm pretty sure NHL trade regulations prohibit 'other considerations' from being a factor in trades. So what you're talking about would be technically against the rules. It's not so much a loophole as it is collusion.

If someone were to try this, the league would most likely reject the trade, then investigate and punish the teams involved.

why would it be collusion? teams dump salary all the time. A low seeded team claims Nabokov off waivers, then at the trade deadline the decide to dump salary. Just because they claim Nabokov off waivers from Detroit doesn't mean they can ever trade with them again does it? Team wants to dump salary and Detroit just happens to be in the market for a top 6 forward (at a cheap cost.) Other teams may think its a little fishy, especially if they offer "MORE" for that player, but teams do it all the time with division rivals. They'll ask for the world from a division rival and take much less from an out of conference team...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#1280 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

It keeps "Team A" from signing a player that has made money in another league, then comes to NHL to make more, while a team gets a expensive player at a bargain rate to circumvent the CBA.

inreality though, it also circimvents a UFA's abiltity to sign where he wants. Lets say 34 year old European player Hok Ptew is playing in Finland, he hires a North American agent and becomes a UFA in the NHL, he only negtiates with ONE team, and signs there, if he's any good, he'll never play there. That is not an UNRESTRICTED Free Agent. That is what the NHLPA fought for... It's ok for the league to control where a player goes, but the UFA cannot control his own destiny. UFA means UFA. It's big government in sports...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!