• Please log in to reply
1581 replies to this topic

#1441 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

If I were Nabokov I would hold out for a little while longer to prove to everyone that he was serious. Then settle his differences with Snow and report. Then after a few games (enough that he can claim he made an effort) say that he just can't handle playing for a s*** team. Walk out and claim it was for personal reasons. The Isles can then suspend him again if they want. But at that point since he would have reported they can no longer toll his contract over.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#1442 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

I believe that tolling means that the NHL forces the player to play the contract out. In Nabby's case, his contract would be tolled and he would be an Islander for the 2011-2012 season, making 570k for the season.

Aha! Thanks, Shady. :thumbup:

be careful not to call someone a name even just joking and even after you tell a mod that the person you called it to was a friend. i was suspended for a week for that. just saying.

:shocking: Thanks! :thumbup:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#1443 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

As much as it sucked that Snow and the Islanders claimed him. I'm pretty sure some other team would have claimed him. Snow is a terrible GM however I see where he's coming from on claiming Nabokov. The Islanders goaltending status is in shambles as always and they're team stinks as usual. However rules are rules. I think the league will address this sometime soon hopefully. Holland knew this was risky. I'm quite surprised he took the chance. Honestly Holland had to know someone else would claim him considering what happened with Svatos and Wellwood. Anyways I wasn't expecting to land Nabokov and I'm quite surprised by the number of people on here that thought we would get him. Would have been interesting to have Nabokov though. :)

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 27 January 2011 - 02:33 PM.

#1444 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

At this point, I don't really understand why the Islanders don't put him back on waivers. He doesn't want to play there and if you were in Snow's position would you want a guy that doesn't want to be there in your locker room? There's nothing in it for Nabokov. Playing on the worst team in the league for peanuts is lose-lose. Playing for them won't increase his value, he won't get a chance at a championship and he'll make almost no money in the process. The Isles tolling his contract would be really dumb. How does a 35, going on 36, year old goalie fit in the long term plans of this franchise? Maybe they could trade him next year, but with him holding out, they have no leverage in a trade.

#1445 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

am I the only one who thinks this situation should just end, I mean Nabby was not that great the last few years and he could be even worse now. Yeah he would be a good back up, but at this point it doesn't even seem that worth it.
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#1446 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

I assure you Nabby would be taking that starting job from Howard... Howard simply is NOT cutting it this year. Last night was the 2nd time in a long while that he allowed fewer than 3 goals, and the goal he did let in was absolutely terrible. We need Ozzie to come back strong in March because IMO if he can get goin in time he will be starting

#1447 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

am I the only one who thinks this situation should just end, I mean Nabby was not that great the last few years and he could be even worse now. Yeah he would be a good back up, but at this point it doesn't even seem that worth it.

Nabby had his best playoff year last year. I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Do or do not. There is no try

#1448 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

Yes you are.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#1449 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

If I were Nabokov I would hold out for a little while longer to prove to everyone that he was serious. Then settle his differences with Snow and report. Then after a few games (enough that he can claim he made an effort) say that he just can't handle playing for a s*** team. Walk out and claim it was for personal reasons. The Isles can then suspend him again if they want. But at that point since he would have reported they can no longer toll his contract over.

This.

Either that, or as mentioned before, go down with a "mystery injury"
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#1450 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

I assure you Nabby would be taking that starting job from Howard... Howard simply is NOT cutting it this year. Last night was the 2nd time in a long while that he allowed fewer than 3 goals, and the goal he did let in was absolutely terrible. We need Ozzie to come back strong in March because IMO if he can get goin in time he will be starting

Terrible because there's not a soul on the roster right now that can (or is willing) to clear out the front of the net? That's been systemic of the Red Wings' play of late and that certainly isn't Howard's fault. He hasn't been as electrifying as he was down the stretch last year, but the Red Wings' defense around the net has been abysmal so far this season.

#1451 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

Terrible because there's not a soul on the roster right now that can (or is willing) to clear out the front of the net? That's been systemic of the Red Wings' play of late and that certainly isn't Howard's fault. He hasn't been as electrifying as he was down the stretch last year, but the Red Wings' defense around the net has been abysmal so far this season.

It was his fault. Bad rebound control and bad recovery. Other than that he played lights out, absolutely lights out.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#1452 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

So, we're back to Ozzie is still good then? Ozzie and Howard were almost identical before they went down. If Howard is bad because of the D, then so is Ozzie.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#1453 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

lol I don't care how s***ty your ONE goal allowed in the game is... if that was you're only one, it should be enough

#1454 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,464 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

You couldn't possibly be more correct, sir. Thank you! :thumbup:

So, we're back to Ozzie is still good then? Ozzie and Howard were almost identical before they went down. If Howard is bad because of the D, then so is Ozzie.

Blasphemy. :ph34r:

I think it's called bias, by the way.

Edited by puckloo39, 27 January 2011 - 09:48 PM.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#1455 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:51 PM

Terrible because there's not a soul on the roster right now that can (or is willing) to clear out the front of the net? That's been systemic of the Red Wings' play of late and that certainly isn't Howard's fault.

agreed but... the fact that the guys are forced to clear out the front of the net 8-10 times per game is howard's fault

#1456 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

You know what?

Howard should have controlled the rebound. Because of his error the defense scrambled and Nicklas Lidstrom did his damnedest to keep the puck out and Zetterberg tried to cover the man Lidstrom had abandoned in his frenzy. Without Howard's gaffe they take a defensive zone faceoff and possibly give Howard a chance to watch THEM screw up a play once again.

Sure, the defense has been bad, but it was hella good last night and did everything they could except "OH MY GARSH HE DIDNT MAKE A FLYING BODY CHECK HE IS DOING IT WRONG".

Didn't Detroit win a cup while all of the fans here were kicking and screaming about the fact Detroit is never physical enough in front of the net? You would think after 6 years we would stop harping on that issue so much. It isn't going to change. That is the system they employ and they have won with it and had issues with it.

Posted Image

#1457 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:06 AM

At this point, I don't really understand why the Islanders don't put him back on waivers. He doesn't want to play there and if you were in Snow's position would you want a guy that doesn't want to be there in your locker room? There's nothing in it for Nabokov. Playing on the worst team in the league for peanuts is lose-lose. Playing for them won't increase his value, he won't get a chance at a championship and he'll make almost no money in the process. The Isles tolling his contract would be really dumb. How does a 35, going on 36, year old goalie fit in the long term plans of this franchise? Maybe they could trade him next year, but with him holding out, they have no leverage in a trade.

Teams whose starter is a UFA this summer:

Buffalo, Colorado, Florida, Ottawa, Phoenix, San Jose, Tampa Bay, Toronto.

That's eight teams. He would be an upgrade on six of them.

I can think of at least two more that would be interested in trading for his services.

Ten of 29. That's about 35%.

Given Nabokov's ability and cap hit, his trade value is through the roof. So even with what leverage Snow loses due to being forced into a trade, he still will be able to get a strong return.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#1458 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:22 AM

Teams whose starter is a UFA this summer:

Buffalo, Colorado, Florida, Ottawa, Phoenix, San Jose, Tampa Bay, Toronto.

That's eight teams. He would be an upgrade on six of them.

Which six? I see 5, maybe.
Buffalo - Miller is better
Florida - Vokoun is better
Phoenix - Bryz is better

Roloson is about the same in skill level, but younger.

And it doesn't matter. He has a NMC, meaning that he wouldn't be going to any of those teams anyways. And I bet the 10 other teams in the league who WOULD want him, he wouldn't be willing to waive his NMC for.

#1459 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:18 AM

You know what?

Howard should have controlled the rebound. Because of his error the defense scrambled and Nicklas Lidstrom did his damnedest to keep the puck out and Zetterberg tried to cover the man Lidstrom had abandoned in his frenzy. Without Howard's gaffe they take a defensive zone faceoff and possibly give Howard a chance to watch THEM screw up a play once again.

Sure, the defense has been bad, but it was hella good last night and did everything they could except "OH MY GARSH HE DIDNT MAKE A FLYING BODY CHECK HE IS DOING IT WRONG".

Didn't Detroit win a cup while all of the fans here were kicking and screaming about the fact Detroit is never physical enough in front of the net? You would think after 6 years we would stop harping on that issue so much. It isn't going to change. That is the system they employ and they have won with it and had issues with it.

Losing the team's most physical defenseman doesn't help.

#1460 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:15 AM

Roloson is about the same in skill level, but younger.

Roloson is six years OLDER than Nabokov.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!