• Please log in to reply
1581 replies to this topic

#141 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:13 AM

The problem is if another team tries trading him to us we don't get first crack at him and he could end up with another team who actually wants him but he originally got claimed before that team could claim him. Oh my, that's worded poorly. The only way we get first dibs is if he is traded to a team besides the wings. The only way I see us ending up with Nabby if he doesn't clear is the situation I posted a page back or so.

That really makes no sense. We get first dibs on Nabby if he's traded to anyone else, but if he's traded to us, he goes back to waivers?

from what i understand waiving him is a no. and tradeing him? he has a no movement clause.

I'm pretty sure that a player can waive the no movement clause at any time, and he can be put on waivers IF he agrees to it.

#142 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:13 AM

The problem is if another team tries trading him to us we don't get first crack at him and he could end up with another team who actually wants him but he originally got claimed before that team could claim him. Oh my, that's worded poorly. The only way we get first dibs is if he is traded to a team besides the wings. The only way I see us ending up with Nabby if he doesn't clear is the situation I posted a page back or so.

Basically the Wings will get him if the first team doesn't keep him. Call it a trade, call it a waive, call it a burrito.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#143 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:14 AM

Either way I think Nabby is going to be ours and if he isn't his agent owes us a favor. It's a win-win.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#144 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:15 AM

jimmy gotta feel a little worried if nabby comes over. nothing better than 2 goalies trying their absolute best to get the starter

#145 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

I wouldn't blame Jimmy for being upset, but I don't think this is because of him. I think, Ozzie is most likely done for the year.

#146 cjm502

cjm502

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Basically the Wings will get him if the first team doesn't keep him. Call it a trade, call it a waive, call it a burrito.

esteef

Yeah, that's pretty much how it goes. It can get complicated but this is the simplest way to put it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#147 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

Waiver rules more complicated than I knew. If more than 1 team were to claim, DET could lose its priority status to re-claim on 2nd waivers.

http://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie

Posted Image

#148 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right course of action but it is apparent that it isn't as simple as "Someone will screw the Wings", because they run the risk of acquiring an asset they don't need and potentially bringing in an unpredictable variable into the locker room."

Sounds to me if a team claims him, the Wings screwed them! :P
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#149 cjm502

cjm502

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

That really makes no sense. We get first dibs on Nabby if he's traded to anyone else, but if he's traded to us, he goes back to waivers?

I'm pretty sure. It's stupid but rules are rules.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#150 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:21 AM

I wouldn't blame Jimmy for being upset, but I don't think this is because of him. I think, Ozzie is most likely done for the year.

With the no movement clause, I too am thinking Ozzie's season, and career, is over. If that's the case, thanks Ozzie :clap:! Next stop the Hall of Fame.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#151 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:23 AM

I feel like I need a PhD to understand this s***... I am just going to wait and see...

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#152 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:25 AM

I just saw that the Devil might claim Nabby and then put him on Waivers so the Red Wings can claim him that way. That's off a tweet I got.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#153 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:26 AM

I just saw that the Devil might claim Nabby and then put him on Waivers so the Red Wings can claim him that way. That's off a tweet I got.

Cunning.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#154 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:34 AM

Slow down, bud. We're not there yet.

I really don't think the Wings are giving up on Howard yet at all. I really like Jimmy as a goalie, but after the last month plus and Osgood's injury, I'd be in the market for the next best option available for the playoffs/insurance. Which Nabby is.

I agree. This is nothing more than a replacement for Osgood, not throwing Howard out. The Wings like Howard, but they know we need a veteran presence in net. Nabakov is that veteran presence, not to mention he's a great goalie who can have a great season with a team like Detroit in front of him.

On top of that, it's only a 1 year deal, if Nabakov plays well he could price himself out of Detroit. Honestly, this signing as nothing to do with Howard, though I bet they're hoping Nabakov pushes Howard to be better. And, if Howard fails the test, he'll just play backup next year to Nabakov or some other goalie. And if he's terrible then, they move him. Nabakov would just be (initially) an insurance move, and then possibly later a replacement or a transitory move until the Wings find their real goalie of the future.

Howard's spot is secure so long as he plays like its his.

No matter what, there was a point to this. We just may not find out the actual one until this offseason.

What other players does Nabakov's agent represent? If we don't get him, maybe it was a favor to get Nabby back in in exchange for "most favored team" status in negotiating rights for another player? Or maybe it's just to get in good with Nabby for next season?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#155 Outsider

Outsider

Quitcha B*tchin' Wings Fans.....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:37 AM

Pretty sure, if Nabby gets claimed, and that team tries to trade/waive him, we get first pick. So, even if NJ claims him, and then waive him, we're instantly #1 in the cue, before all the other crappy teams, like the islanders.

At least, that's what I took from the most recent report.

Not necessarily.

That only occurs, (if I'm not mistaken), if only ONE TEAM puts in a Claim.

If more than one Team puts in a Claim, and the original Team subsequently Waives him, (if he allows the waiver, that is...), then subsequent Teams get a crack at him, based on the order in which they put in their Claim.

....I think....

#156 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:37 AM

OK, here we go.....
Any team can claim Nabby and they do not have to even call the Wings.
Even to attempt to trade him is dumb, because it exposes him to the waiver you just claimed him from, ie. if you want to claim Nabby just to trade him, you can not.
The only way a team will pick him up is if they are before Detroit in the standings(nearly everyone), can afford the cap hit, and can displace a goalie from the team(minors or trade).
Detroit has the contract structured toxic, but teams like Atlanta, wide open on the cap, could pick him up and tell him to stay home, just to spite us, and all it would cost is a 1/4 million in money. So if owner or GM think they could beat us easier, they would do it, just to get an advantage.
Also, to make this even more fun, money would likely have to come off the book to keep Nabby if we got him.

Bottom line:
If Svatos and Wellwood got claimed, im thinking one of the top 4 goalies from last year will too.

No compensation for the Blues, and through history, haven't seen compensation for a waiver pickup.

Kenny got him in the league, and possibly a free contract(not sure if he gets paid to sit out, unless wings contract was garunteed money), Wings payoff for this will be on July 1st. Our payoff is we all understand a little more of the CBA.

Personally i thought the Wings played great tonight, maybe all this talk fired them up.

Edit to add:
Detroit does not get first chance at the re-claim, it is once again by standings meaning the team that just got Nabby would now not even have a chance at him. All this is moot with a NTC, he will stay with whatever team takes him for whatever reason, because he already warned everyone. This has worked before with Burke and the twins, but he only had to scare 1 team, we have 1 league who all think they are the Wings rivals.

Edited by Wingzman91, 21 January 2011 - 12:44 AM.

#157 CanadaBoy

CanadaBoy

The Red Wing Ring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:44 AM

@Ledger_NJDevils.

Devils may claimn goalie Evgeni Nabokov and then put him on waivers so Red Wings can claim him and complete their acquisition.
But my most coveted thing is a high self-esteem
And a low tolerance for them telling me how to lean
See the most important parts are the ones that are unseen
The Wings don't make you fly and the Crown don't make you king
Now God don't like ugly, ain't too happy bout pretty
I am ignorance's enemy so stay out of the vicinity of...
~ Lupe Fiasco - Gold Watch

#158 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:46 AM

bottom line, Ken Holland is to smart to sign a guy just to see another team claim him. This is either greasing the wheels for a trade later on, or he plays for the islanders for a while and at the deadline gets waived back to Detroit.

But that would essentially be the Islanders doing Detroit a favor.

Something isn't adding up here. Either it's as simple as no team being able to take on Nabakov and his demands and out of fear of Holland, or else the crappy team that signs him and then waives him so the Wings can pick him up at the trade deadline needs to get something out of the deal.

And what happens if the other team doesn't waive him?

There's no reason for Holland to do this as a favor. 29 other teams could have brought Nabakov in. We get something out of this, and I have a feeling Nabakov will clear, but I'm an optimist.

To present an even more complicated scenario:

Holland didn't talk to teams to tell them not to take Nabakov, but instead Holland targeted the teams that would want him and be able to sign him, but would have to move a goalie (NJ), and convinced teams not to let them trade said goalie to make room for Nabakov...

Haha, it's like Conspiracy Theory.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#159 Outsider

Outsider

Quitcha B*tchin' Wings Fans.....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:46 AM

@Ledger_NJDevils.

Devils may claimn goalie Evgeni Nabokov and then put him on waivers so Red Wings can claim him and complete their acquisition.

Unless another Team puts in a Claim.

Then their Claim would trump the Wings Claim.

Of course, this also assumes that Nabokov allows the Devs to place him on Waivers. Maybe Nabs is a bettin' man?

Edited by Outsider, 21 January 2011 - 12:49 AM.

#160 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:48 AM

Slow down, bud. We're not there yet.

I really don't think the Wings are giving up on Howard yet at all. I really like Jimmy as a goalie, but after the last month plus and Osgood's injury, I'd be in the market for the next best option available for the playoffs/insurance. Which Nabby is.

Right. I'm actually shocked that anyone here thinks the Wings have given up on Howard. He's only 26 and, despite a couple shaky months, is one of the best young goalies in the game. Ozzie's retiring after this year, Nabokov, at 35, is Osgood's replacement, Howard's going no where!

@Ledger_NJDevils.

So what will NJ get in return?
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons