• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
robb himself

Trade for a new back up?

Rate this topic

hey guys I just thought I would put together a list of goalies that the Wings might be interested in acquiring providing they do not want to use McDonald as Howards back up and also providing Osgood will be out possibly for the remainder of the season...

1. Johan Hedberg - New Jersey Devils - 15th in the East - $1.5 cap hit - last year of his contract - 5W 10L 1OTL 1SOL .891% 3.04GAA

2.Brian Elliott - Ottawa Senators - 13th in the East - $850k cap hit -last year of his contract - 12W 17L 6OTL 3SOL .897% 3.15GAA

3.Jonas Gustavsson - Toronto Maple Leafs - 12th in the East - $1.35 cap hit - one more year on his contract - 6W 13L 2OTL .890% 3.29 GAA

4.Patrick Lalime - Buffalo Sabres - 11th in the East - $650k cap hit - last year of his contract - 0W 5L 890% 2.96GAA

5.Scott Clemmensen - Florida Panthers - 10th in the East - $1.2 cap hit - one more year on his contract - 5W 5L 2OTL .924% 2.34GAA

6.Devan Dubnyk - Edmonton Oilers - 15th in the West - $800k cap hit - one more year on his contract - 4W 4L 5OTL .917% 2.81GAA

7.Henrik Karlsson - Calgary Flames - 14th in the West - $500k cap hit - last year of his contract - 4W 3L 4OTL .899% 2.66GAA +ROOKIE+

8.Mathieu Garon - Columbus Blue Jackets - 13th in the West - $1.2 cap hit - last year of his contract - 8W 9L 3OTL 3SOL .902% 2.66GAA

9.Ty Conklin - St.Louis Blues - 11th in the West - $1.3 cap hit - last year of his contract - 5W 3L 2OTL 1SOL .875% 3.34GAA

10. Jose Theodore - Minnesota Wild - 9th in the West - $1.1 cap hit - last year of his contract - 8W 7L 2OTL 1SOL .913% 2.66GAA

If we were indeed to make a move for one of these goalies I would love to see Gustavsson Conklin or Theodore...

this is just an idea folks...take it for what its worth

Go Wings Go!

Guest Crymson

If we were indeed to make a move for one of these goalies I would love to see Gustavsson Conklin or Theodore...

this is just an idea folks...take it for what its worth

Go Wings Go!

Let's see...

Gustavsson, who the Leafs will not trade...

Conklin, who is having an atrocious season...

Theodore, whose team is currently one point out of 8th in the conference...

Not happening.

That's the problem with some of the posters on this forum, they don't understand discussion. Even if things are long ranged, it's a nice thought to talk about. Discussion is better than nothing.

Hedberg would be a nice thought, but Jonas Gustavsson I think I'd enjoy more. He's lost all his confidence while playing with the Leafs (in my opinion), and before he lost that, he was doing good. So why not boost your confidence while playing with the best Hockey team in the NHL? :-P

Edited by Christ0pherXx

That's the problem with some of the posters on this forum, they don't understand discussion. Even if things are long ranged, it's a nice thought to talk about. Discussion is better than nothing.

Hedberg would be a nice thought, but Jonas Gustavsson I think I'd enjoy more. He's lost all his confidence while playing with the Leafs (in my opinion), and before he lost that, he was doing good. So why not boost your confidence while playing with the best Hockey team in the NHL? :-P

I completely agree. I think its obvious he wants out of toronto and toronto has been talking about trading both goalies at one point or another...i feel it would be worth Kenny looking into because I think he can be one hell of a goalie given that he enjoys playing for the team he is on...

I 2nd the Defenseman.

Salei looked bad today.

I haven't been impressed with Salei all season. He's slow and not that great in the corners.

Sticking on topic, I'm not sure the Wings should trade for a backup at this point. Stick with what you've got and get a free agent in the summer if you have to. Once the team gets healthy Jimmy will be fine and I'm sure MacDonald could win a few games with the complete team in front of him.

Remember, the idea is to get a vet to backup Jimmy, not another unproven goalie. SO any list of goalies would have to take this into consideration, I think. I'm just not sure who to go after, there are just so few worthwhile goalies out there this year.

How about Giguere? He always plays well at the JLA, especially in the playoffs. :hehe:

Seriously, though, our starting goalie is playing bad this year. I don't think getting a backup will help us, unless that guy is given a good chance to start. Something needs to happen to light a fire under Howard's ass.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I wouldn't mind Conklin. he knows the organization and should fit quickly

which is all Wings need now.

Clemmensen aint' bad either.

not sure about Lalime. seems cheap and he's not really a bad goalie. if he

only knew to save half-rink softies...

Unfortunately, the best options on that list (of the guys that would actually be available) I don't see being traded here because of the in conference aspect (Conklin, Garon) and pretty much everyone else on that list that would really even be available, I don't see worth trading for and giving up assets...

To be honest, I'd just as soon rather see them go out and pick up someone like Valiquette, Dubliwitz(sp?) or even bring back Manny Legace over giving up assets via a trade, unless they can land a very legit backup on the cheap, which I just don't see being available with what's out there...

Jeff Deslauriers didn't look too bad in the Oilers net. Not entirely his fault the team in front of him has been terrible in his games. He's already been through waivers so the price tag would probably be extremely cheap. He's backing up Martin Gerber with the Oilers AHL team right now.

If Osgood is out for the rest of the season and on LTIR, that would give the Wings $1.4 million to spend, which might open the door for a Clemmenson or Mathieu Garon.

To be honest, I'd just as soon rather see them go out and pick up someone like Valiquette, Dubliwitz(sp?) or even bring back Manny Legace over giving up assets via a trade, unless they can land a very legit backup on the cheap, which I just don't see being available with what's out there...

Ok, Valiquette is playing in the KHL now, Legace is in Germany playing in the DEL, and Dubielewicz WAS playing in the DEL as well, but got released a couple of weeks ago. This would mean he would be subject to the same rules as Nabby was. He'd probably clear waivers though with a 2-8 record / 3.90 GAA :lol:

On the original post's list...I like Karlsson from the Flames...he's cheap, and relatively young. Doesn't seem like we'd have to give much.

Honestly, what about Larsson? His stats are decent this year: 2.26 GAA .925 SV% in 33 games for HV71. We already have his rights...no waiver nonsense. Its a shame because he'd be playing in goal right now, if he hadn't been impatient and waited for his chance. I do think Kenny should reach out to him, though. We need some help.

Hedberg = Swedish, plays on a crap team, relatively small contract and UFA after this season... Seems like a great fit :D

In other words, he has a bigger contract than both of our goalies, will probably sign somewhere else after this season, and has a garbage Sv%.

MacDonald is a better deal, and has played better this season, IMO.

Looking elsewhere for a goalie is why none of you are GMs; you look internally to see what you have and what can be had. Nothing that we can get right now is better as a backup than MacDonald for what we'd have to give up to get them.

1) We don't have cap space for anything more than a bare-minimum goalie, hence the Nabokov contract.

2) We won't give up anything for a goalie that's likely to put up mediocre numbers and be gone after this year.

So this thread can safely be closed, because it would be absolute idiocy to trade for a crap backup when MacDonald has been doing fine.

In other words, he has a bigger contract than both of our goalies, will probably sign somewhere else after this season, and has a garbage Sv%.

MacDonald is a better deal, and has played better this season, IMO.

Looking elsewhere for a goalie is why none of you are GMs; you look internally to see what you have and what can be had. Nothing that we can get right now is better as a backup than MacDonald for what we'd have to give up to get them.

1) We don't have cap space for anything more than a bare-minimum goalie, hence the Nabokov contract.

2) We won't give up anything for a goalie that's likely to put up mediocre numbers and be gone after this year.

So this thread can safely be closed, because it would be absolute idiocy to trade for a crap backup when MacDonald has been doing fine.

you are right...why bother trying to have a discussion about anything on these boards...seems to be a waste of time <_<

you are right...why bother trying to have a discussion about anything on these boards...seems to be a waste of time <_<

I never said there shouldn't be any discussion, just that this is a stupid idea and the thread needs to be closed.

"HEY GUYS I KNO LETS TRADE SUM1 FOR A GOALIE THATS WORSE THEN JMAC AND LETS PAY HIM MORE TOO"

I mean, really?

I cant believe no one had brought up one the best goalies in NHL history.... DOMINK HASEK!!!!

he is having a fairly good season int he khl... which would pose a problem for trying to get him off his team now... but its worth throwing into the pot

I cant believe no one had brought up one the best goalies in NHL history.... DOMINK HASEK!!!!

he is having a fairly good season int he khl... which would pose a problem for trying to get him off his team now... but its worth throwing into the pot

You think we can get Dom for a league-minimum contract and think we'd get him through waivers?

Yeah, let's gift-wrap another goalie for another bottom-feeder team.